Netflix works from the app store!

ephebus

Jul 21, 2011
Downloaded it to my Casio Commando which it has not been working on since they updated it and it worked so I went on the A500 and it was in the app store installed it and it works yippie!

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
Downloaded it to my Casio Commando which it has not been working on since they updated it and it worked so I went on the A500 and it was in the app store installed it and it works yippie!

Cool, I'm attempting to download it now.

Here's the deal. Practically anywhere I connect, a YouTube video loads for two seconds, pauses for two minutes, then plays again. For two seconds.

How does Netflix fare? I'm very apprehensive about it. I cancelled streaming when the price structure changed a couple of months ago, since I didn't like how grainy it looks on an HDTV. It may look good on a tablet, but I'd be irritated to have it freeze and stutter a bunch of times during each movie. Might as well just play video files directly loaded to the device, and not use Netflix. It seems impossible that when every video on the Interweb coughs and sputters, Netflix is smooth as glass.

Yeah, I know. I hear you typing, "why dontcha just pay the man and try it?", and I should let you know I heard your remark a little more loudly under your breath than you thought it would be, "...hehe, you gullible fool".

chubsky

Jun 11, 2011
Just installed the Netflix app straight from the app store and all is well. Quality is good. The video is smoothe. And sound is excellent.

ephebus

Jul 21, 2011
I've watched tons of YouTube videos on mine and yes some do that but for the most part it's not bad at all my daughter was going through some of her favorite shows on Netflix and had no problems sounds like you may have a band width issue and I was kinda glad they re did the costing of net flix if they keep increasing the streaming content I'm a happy camper I was of sick of the DVDs and having to remember to send them back If it's a must see I'll go to red box. Now if comcast would reduce prices on there ppv 5.99 for a movie are ya kidding and it stops and pixelizes and drops out sound yes I've had them out a few times and everything is fine...lol

Rocket

Oct 15, 2011
Comcast does the same thing at our house. We were told to re-wire the house, which we did, and it still halts and pixilates sometimes "on demand". We won't buy on demand because of this.

I've never had any consistent issues with YouTube videos and I often use the tab to watch TV episodes on network websites. Occasionally, the beginning of a TV show will be choppy, but resolves after the first group of commercials.

So far, Netflix has worked on the tablet as well as it does on my PC. Once the sound wasn't looped correctly for the first few minutes, but it somehow normalized and the show ended perfectly. Also, our video on HD isn't grainy. We usually watch through a blu-ray player with HD cable, but even using the wii doesn't produce a noticeably grainy picture--although it isn't nearly as sharp as the HD feed. I agree the bandwith can affect the streaming experience.

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
Also, our video on HD isn't grainy.
That opens a whole new can of llamas: Most people cannot detect the difference between HDTV and badly compressed video such as streaming Netflix. And that makes Netflix great for a vast majority. But it then makes me question what the value of "1080p HDTV" is (at least for big screens), when most folks truly don't see the improvement. But on a 10" screen, compression may not matter, if it's not extremely compressed.

So the remaining problem is "issues with bandwidth". When I had streaming Netflix, my network was hard-wired to the Blu-ray player, so I could avoid any bandwidth issues caused by using a wireless network. The A500 is wireless only, and I'm dreading the runaround I'll get if Netflix has loading issues (guaranteed hours of toil "changing settings" for an issue that I'd swear never turns out to be "settings"). But if I ever find something I'd like to watch which Netflix actually has available, I might test it for a month, just in case by some miracle it runs flawlessly.

Rocket

Oct 15, 2011
I have been surprised that the tablet app has run so smoothly so far. My expectations were rather low and I re-opened our account only to test this app and see what improvements they have added to streaming. So far, the available movies are a disappointment and if not for the kids, we would not have much use for it. Perhaps that will change as the DVD service is dropped.

Last edited:

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
I found that the official app didn't perform as well as the hacked one so I put the hacked one back. With the official version, any video I watched would constantly slow down and speed up, while the audio stayed the same speed. Consequently, the audio was very often out of sync. The hacked one just doesn't do that. Also the newest hacked version shows, for instance, Star Trek full screen, while the official version has black bars on the sides of the screen. It's a bummer because I liked the fact that the official version minimized the toolbar buttons (or whatever you call it when you go from a full toolbar to 4 little dots).