NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Hi, hope I'm posting this in the correct place since it has nothing to do with tablets.
This forum has an extensive experience base so I am hoping that some one here can help with this.
Yesterday I purchased a Netgear WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter.
In the sales info it said that this device will pick up a wifi signal and convert it to a Ethernet port so you can hook up to BlueRay players etc from remote locations without having to run cat5 cable all over. It also said this device could be set up as a wifi signal repeater. Which would be great for us since out router is upstairs and the signal can be weak downstairs at times at the other end of the house. With this we could set up the Repeater portion and place the Netgear box in the room below the router.
My problem is that I can't find anything on line that explains how to set this thing up as a repeater.
If anyone here has this device and knows anything about setting it up can you please point me in the right direction or explain hot to go about doing it.

Last edited:

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I read through the PDF you posted and saw nothing about it being a WiFi repeater. Can you post where in the PDF that you saw it?
I know I could hook another WiFi router to the ethernet out port and do it that way, but the Amazon page said it could be used as a repeater. But did not say any additional hardware needed to be purchased leaving the impression that the unit itself was capable of repeating the signal.

J

jimbo7630

You're quite right that nowhere in the PDF does it mention anything about it being a repeater BUT all the advertising blurbs say it IS!! My view is that if it is taking a WiFi signal from your Router and converting it for Ethernet why wouldn't it also rebroadcast the radio signal to devices without an ethernet connector? I guess an email to Netgear would provide the answer.
BTW did you try the Hotspot test to see if it is, in fact, acting as a WiFi unit?

Another BTW, if they are calling it a "Repeater" simply because it is taking the radio signal and repeating it as an Ethernet connection, I consider that to be pretty poor business ethics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Don't have the unit yet. Just ordered it yesterday. Was trying to get all the info on it that I could before it arrived so that I would be all set to hook it up for our needs.

Further reading has lead me to believe that this unit only puts out eithernet and not WiFi. I found a short blurb about it being used as a repeater that had a link to another sight where it was being sold along side a netgear wifi router.
My guess is that the repeater function comes by way of hooking a WiFi router up to the Netgear WNCE2001 and creating another acct off your original network. I have done this once already upstairs when I hooked up a Apple Airport Extreme router through my original router. Just had to change a few settings on the APE to be sure it did not conflict with the first router. May have to do that on the Netgear Downstairs, Netgear does sell units like the WNCE2001 that are clearly identified as WiFi repeaters, but this unit is not so I think the WFR function is by add on only.

Rest assured that once I get it and have it set up, all the details worked out I will post more information on how this actually worked. If the unit is a WFR it will be so much sweeter for the price, if not I still know how to make it do what I need.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
J

jimbo7630

I have to agree that the "Repeater" bit is extremely ambiguous, having considereed how they name their products - WNCE sounds like Wireless Network Converter Ethernet nothing like a "Range "Extender" which is, in fact, a Wireless REPEATER in the fullest sense of that word.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
My problem is that I can't find anything on line that explains how to set this thing up as a repeater.

I don't think you'll have to do anything to set it up as a repeater. Just follow the directions for setting it up as a remote Ethernet port and it will automatically be a repeater.

I just replaced my DSL modem and my wireless router with a combination DSL modem/wireless router and all I did was plug the DSL line into the modem and run an Ethernet cable to my desktop. The wireless router automatically fired up and transmitted to my laptop and tablets. I think when the Ethernet port of this unit is activated, the wireless part will automatically begin transmitting.

Last edited:
J

jimbo7630

The ambiguity comes in the way that Netgear describe this unit, nowhere do they say that it retransmits the WiFi signal that it receives and converts to be used by an Ethernet CABLE which must be plugged in to the device that you want to have WiFi capability.
Also from the netgear Amazon blurb:

"Universal Compatibility
With the WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter, you will no longer need to buy individual proprietary WiFi dongles for the TV, Xbox, etc. because WNCE2001 works with all of them. You can simply plug it into the device when you need to and share it among multiple gadgets."

Note the use of "simply plug it into the device" In my view it is not capable of being used as a hotspot without another piece of equipment being attached.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
nowhere do they say that it retransmits the WiFi signal that it receives and converts to be used by an Ethernet CABLE which must be plugged in to the device that you want to have WiFi capability.

That's because I don't believe you have to plug in an Ethernet cable to activate the WiFi. I think, all you have to do is wirelessly connect this unit to a router and both the Ethernet capability and the WiFi will be activated automatically.

J

jimbo7630

Yes, wirelessly connecting to a router will activate the Ethernet outpout IF, and ONLY IF, you plug an Ethernet cable into the socket and connect the cable to the device you want to use.
I suspect that you have fallen into the same trap that the majority of people will discover, namely that Netgear's use of the word "Repeater" is NOT what most of us understand it to be, some utilities make use of Microwave repeater links where the Microwave signal is retransmitted as a microwave, I woud say that the majority of people that you ask will be of the opinion that this piece of Netgear equipment retransmits the WiFi signal as a WiFi signal. I don't believe that it does.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I woud say that the majority of people that you ask will be of the opinion that this piece of Netgear equipment retransmits the WiFi signal as a WiFi signal. I don't believe that it does.

Based on Netgear's statement, "The adapter can also repeat 2.4 GHz WiFi signals from devices made by NETGEAR and other brands, and it features dynamic LEDs that display real-time network connection status.", I'm one of those people. I did not have to connect the Ethernet cable to activate the WiFi on my modem/router and I just disconnected it to verify that fact. The WiFi works just fine w/o it. Androidfonefan has promised to come back and let us know exactly how this works, so lets wait and see what he has to say. Worst case scenario is he'll need a wireless router to plug into an Ethernet port of the device and I just saw them on sale at Micro Center for $15. All this supposition is leading us nowhere and just wasting time and forum space. BTW Funny coincidence, I spent 5 years engineering Microwave repeater links and waveguide installations for AT&T among other things.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Lol, yah its hard to tell for sure what the device is really going to do until I get it and do set up, as I said if it is in fact a wifi repeater it will be sweet for the price but if not I can just get another wifi router and adapt.
The estimated delivery date is the 22nd, so if it comes on time I should be able to get back and say what happened on Thursday.
Going out of town Friday after work so if it is late it won't be until early next week.
Get your popcorn and soda.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

J

jimbo7630

I am totally convinced that Netgear's use of the word "Repeater" is absolutely misleading, but let's not take up so much space on the forum! I'll wait for your report back with interest.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Ok got it today, it was simple to set up and works well, turned the wifi off on this laptop and sing the Netgear in its place.
I have looked all through the settings and see nothing for setting up a repeater network, since it can talk back and forth between the wifi router there is no reason why it could not also be used as a repeater but I see no way of doing it.
But hey, it will work well for what we need.
LOL just found out, I have no free plugs by the BlueRay player so now I have to go buy a longer power strip.
Will work on getting a router to use as a repeater but that is no huge emergency. Power strip is more important

Last edited: