Network monitoring / bandwidth per connection?

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Hello all,

Firstly, I'm not even sure this is possible, as i've tried to find a PC app to do this and never was successful.

I have several devices hooked up to my home network. I live with several roommates, and between us all we have 2 XBox's, a PS3, 4 cell phones, 2 tablets, 4 PC's, and AppleTV... both XBox's are set up to stream netfilx, and basically we are all internet hungry and bandwidth hogs.

Is there a way to scan my home network, and determine how much each device is sapping from the overall bandwidth?

I would love to do this via Android, just because it is the device that I use the most. However, if it can be done on PC that would be okay too.

I don't care what each device is doing, I don't need their activity per se... just their overall bandwidth at any given time.

As an aside, since my provider will probably be moving to a tiered plan, and we have such a high demand for bandwidth, this is just information that I'd like to have. Any ideas?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You can't do this unless your router has it built in.

If you had a linux machine, and were using it as a router, you could do this fairly easily, (well, ok, its kind of geeky to get working even in linux).

But other than that, the only single place this info is available is in the router, because you can't even see traffic on the other ports of a switch, so you can't measure it anywhere except at the router. (You could on a hub, but who uses those any more).

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Thanks...

That explains why I never had any luck... I did try the Networx app, but it only showed me activity from my PC and I couldn't configure it to see anything else.

Oh well... I guess when that fated day comes when we start to tier, I'll have to invest in some kind of monitoring router. Thanks for the help.