New A500 3.1 - needs to be rooted

chrisnigro

Aug 29, 2011
Can someone send me (or reply to this thread) a link for proven procedure to root the above mentioned?

I am getting conflicting info regarding if it is even rootable or not.

Thanks!

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
Its rootable. I got the A100 running 3.2 and im rooted. I have also seen many post about the A500 being rooted and I'm sure someone who has one will help you

Sent from Wicced's ROOTED Acer a100 16GB Honeycomb 3.2

chrisnigro

Aug 29, 2011
I just got it and was able to confirm... Just gonna sit back and wait for the 3.2 release

Thanks!

deedub

Jul 4, 2011
I just got it and was able to confirm... Just gonna sit back and wait for the 3.2 release

Thanks!

If you update to 3.2, you will lose root, and there is currently no way to root 3.2 that I am aware of.

Last edited:

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
If you update to 3.2, you will lose root, and there is currently no way to root 3.2.

I'm running 3.2 and I'm rooted. Google "how to root android 3.2 honeycomb"

HD87

May 14, 2011
I'm running 3.2 and I'm rooted. Google "how to root android 3.2 honeycomb"

Why not provide the method of rooting here. That's what this forum is for.

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
This is how i got to root my Acer A100 running Anroid 3.2 Honeycomb>>

first download SU.zip (you can also download directly into your tablet by clicking the link) from here > su.zip

extract the SU file from ZIP download to your Tablet's root directory>>> /mnt/sdcard/
****please note SDCARD means internal memory and not the external MicroSD

once SU file is placed in your Tablet's root directory, the rest is left to Android ADB SHELL.
If you dont have Android ADB installed on your computer, you can get it from here:

for Ubuntu/Linux use this link > [GUIDE] Lazyman's installation guide to ADB on Ubuntu 10.10 - Now with Ubuntu 11.04 ! - xda-developers
for Windows use this link > How to Set Up ADB on Windows 7, Vista & XP for Android Phones

after getting ADB SHELL up and running on your computer, USB your tablet to your computer and enter USB Debugging mode on the tablet. Once tablet is connected an in USB Debugging mode, follow steps below:

Steps using Ubuntu/LINUX:
open TERMINAL then copy and paste lines 1-3 individually
1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`mount -o remount,rw /system\`'
2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su\`'
3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '\`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su\`'

Steps using WINDOWS:
open CMD then copy and paste lines 1-3 individually
1. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`mount -o remount,rw /system`'
2. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`cat /mnt/sdcard/su >/system/xbin/su`'
3. adb shell /system/bin/cmdclient ec_micswitch '`chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su`'

Once finished, install SuperUser from android market and Busybox Installer to confirm ROOT on tablet. If Busybox Installer fails apply lines 1-3 again.

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
When I rooted... I saw all the ABD stuff but never had to mess with it.. and I'm fully rooted and whatnot.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
When I rooted... I saw all the ABD stuff but never had to mess with it.. and I'm fully rooted and whatnot.

Please share how you achieved root... you may have an easier method than mine

Deabee

Aug 22, 2011
total newbie here. can you tell me why I want to "root". and is this something I need a geek for so I don't screw it up? Have A500 version 3.1

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
3.1, I rooted before 3.2 and don't care to switch.

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Rooting allows a 'super user access', kinda like an admin account on windows. From this 'super user access', different apps can use this to bring more.. possibilities to your tab. Like mine is OC'd to 1.6GHz, and you can use all the cool apps that say like 'requires root' and whatnot. And a geeky friend shouldn't be necessary.. depending on how much basic computer knowledge you have.

Deabee

Aug 22, 2011
My computer knowledge is "Biblical" as in "seek and yee shall find". I can follow steps, but so far everything I have read on "rooting" seems to include a lot of computer terms I am not familiar with.