New and things I would like out of my A500

Justicw

Jul 22, 2011
I am new to the tablet world but not new to android (I have an original droid and I read a lot of the droidforums.net)

I just got my new tablet and there are two things I need (ok not need but dang I realy want it) Netflix and tethering from my droid.

I made the assumption it would be as easy as downloading netfix off of the market and as easy as finding my wifi off of my phone... Yea I was wrong and I didn't investigate properly :(

My question is this can I (without harm or negitive impact on my new tablet) get netflix and or tethering? I'm not afraid of rooting my tablet but I don't want any custom roms (sick of TOO many updates or NO updates at all from the devs lol).

I have read many threads about getting netflix to work and they all have fragmented instructions and post after post of stories about stuff NOT working after "patching" certian things.

So here are my questions is there a step by step somewhere for my model tablet to get netfix to work?

Will netflix come to my tablet on it's own eventualy?

Will adhoc be supported on my tablet in the future?

What are the negitives of patching my tablet with the adhoc workaround patch or the netflix file patch?

Sorry for the book but I realy wanted to use this for netfix and I need someone of getting on the net while I'm in town or at work hehe.

THANKS EVERYONE!!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
My understanding is that there is a Netflix APK floating around somewhere that does not even require root.
I can't vouch for it, supposedly its the market version hacked a little bit. There is ALWAYS a risk with installing a .apk from unknown sources. You have to decide if you can wait just a little longer for it to appear in the market for your tablet, or if your head will explode this weekend without it. ;-)

Yes, it is expected Netflix will come to Acer soon.

As for Teathering, if you have to hack something, hack the phone.

With a properly functioning wifi hotspot running in the phone, connecting the tablet takes no hack at all, the phone just appears as another wifi access point running in infrastructure mode.

Rather than hack every device that you want to connect to the phone via wifi, just get the phone hacked and install the right wifi software.

Nexus One and Nexus S phones do this out of the box. I think a couple other models do as well. For other phones there is an .apk that provides wifi teather, and I think its in the market, but you have to root the phone to install it.

Ad hoc is pretty much an abomination. There is no DHCP server, so you have to set up everything manually, and the security sucks. Anyone can join your network. Really, hack the phone, not the tablet.

Last edited:

Zman

Dec 14, 2010
There is a netflix app on this site that I downloaded yesterday and it works great. I am also teethering my tablet from my HTC shift with no problems. I am a happy camper!

sent from my cold A500!!!!

Justicw

Jul 22, 2011
Thanks for the responses. I have a droid 1 and it's rooted but the only apps i have found are adhoc. do you have a link for an app that doesn't use adhoc?

Also i downloaded the only netflix app i found on these forums and it didn't work can you link the working/hacked apk?

robalbrecht

Jul 6, 2011
I tether my moto Droid to my a500 using pdanet from the market. It will sometimes take a few tries to connect, but eventually it does.

Desso

Jul 18, 2011
HI Justicw, and everyone

I'm and old fart over at droidforums.net as well. I'm still using my OG Droid (promised the wife I wouldn't upgrade till around valentines day if I could get the A500. She agreed, LOL). I WANT TETHER TOO!!!!! My phone is rooted and based on my bad assumption when I bought my tablet, I thought I'd work OFTB. WRONG...

MY ONLY DISLIKE of this awesome tablet. Honycomb 3.1 rocks.

Don't care about netfix, hooloo, etc. But I really want tether. Don't really want to go the PDANET/BLUETOOTH route, because it doesn't support usenet downloads.

If anyone has a way to wifi (or wired) tether the Original Droid (rooted) with a non-rooted A500; PLEASE let us know (pm me too, please). As always, TIA