New APPs that we need - is ASUS listening?

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Some apps use a lot of memory, they also take up memory. My phone lets me store apps on the SD card, I would like to use internal storage here the same way. Do I NEED to - Nope - but I want to.

If you still WANT it (though now acknowledging that you don't NEED it) after myself and others have taken the time to respond to your post and explain why the feature is really not necessary on an Android 3.x tablet (because it seamlessly manages apps that "take up memory") then there not much more I can do about that - but don't expect Asus to "listen" either if you can't articulate further why you want it - not trying to be contentious, just honest. I also wanted to point out that the Android 2.x phone apps to SD functionality isn't "all that its cracked up to be" either. You may be aware of this already [and I'm not necessarily expecting you to change your mind about the Honeycomb tablets with this info, just putting it out there for you and others who may not be aware], but there are a few minor disadvantages regarding the implementation of native APPS2SD functionality on Android 2.X phones: (1) unlike the Android 3.X implementation you are forced to manually manage which apps are installed to the SD card (very few are installed there by default) which is a PIA IMHO (Android 3.x does this seamlessly with the generous 16+GB of installed internal memory on these Honeycomb tabs) and (2) in the 2.X implementation, not all apps are compatible with APPS2SD and those must remain installed to your phone's internal memory, in fact, regardless of whether an app is utilizing the SD card, a small footprint remains on internal memory (again, 3.x simply utilizes all available internal installed memory). Besides response time (as pointed out by a previous poster) another disadvantage of putting your apps on external memory cards is that if you need to swap the card or experience a card failure, prior to moving the apps back to internal memory, you break the app on your phone or tab. APPS2SD was really meant to be workaround (and a clunky one at that) to the problem of limited internal working memory for android apps on phones. Bottom line is that as far as Android 3.x tablets are concerned internal memory management and capacity is now far superior (obviating the need for app to [external]SD management] leaving external microSD and SD card slots (and USB connection for flash drives or port-powered HDDs) to provide the user with expanded memory options for bringing along content (data, text, multimedia) not apps. In any event, I hope you are enjoying your tab despite its perceived shortcomings. Take care.

Last edited:

miked

Jul 31, 2011
Thanks vferrari. I use APPS2SD on my Huawei S7 and when I got the TF101, I installed it on it also. Obviously it does not work and I do not miss it either. Your explanations in various parts of the forum helped to understand.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
However, for those who still DO want APPS2SD - I would conclude that it is likely to be in Ice Cream Sandwich. Considering phones and tablets will get the same OS, unless they remove the functionality from phones (which is quite possible considering larger internal storage in newer phones which will likely get the update) it will very likely carry over to tablets.

All that is conjecture, though (educated conjecture ;))