New ASTRO file manager UI

edap

Dec 12, 2012
METAGO started pushing out it's latest version of ASTRO File manager - 4.3.487 a few days ago on a trial basis to unsuspecting jellybean users and the reaction has been mixed to say the least.
The overall scope of the initiative is certainly to be commended, but snags along the way are resulting in daily multiple updates. In my case, several jpg files and picture folders were completely wiped out and unable to be found.
I believe the app should have been adequately tested inhouse before being presented to android users.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Do you have your apps set to auto update? If so I strongly suggest changing that ASAP. Honestly there are some people who like Astro a lot but it is the only file manager I have uninstalled and I have a few!

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hi, leeshor.
First of all, thanks for the reply. Secondly, don't misunderstand me - I am certainly not against developers trying to innovate and enhance their product, even if it means using me as the guinea pig. So, of course my apps are set to auto update because I don't want to shut myself off from the dynamic aspect of the net. I am merely suggesting that Astro has taken on more than it can actively manage, right now. Sure, I may have lost most of my pictures, except for one. But, hey, I've still got them on my laptop. In the meantime, Astro will eventually repair all the flaws users are currently experiencing. After all, it is the most popular file manager in its category. There are probably better and simpler apps around and as you suggest it may have become redundant. This latest update may just be a last ditch effort to overcome that perception.

Cheers.
Ed

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Have you ever tried ES File Explorer? Most reviews have it listed as the hands-down best file manager for Android.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Yes, I'm familiar with ES and I've read those reviews. However, before I pull the plug on Astro, I'm going to give them more rope to see how things play out, especially the way they deal with the jpg file issues in 'Gallery' and 'Astro Image Viewer'.