New Canalys Report Indicates Android Apps May be Too Expensive

Discussion in 'Android Tablet News' started by dgstorm, Feb 24, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

[​IMG]

A new report from the marketing research firm, Canalys indicates that the top paid-for Android apps were priced “dramatically higher” than those on iOS for the iPhone. In fact, apps on Android reportedly cost two and a half times higher than they do on iOS. Their survey indicated that 82 of the top 100 paid apps in Apple’s App Store were priced at just $0.99, compared to only 22 in the Android Market. Here's their full press release with even more details on their study,

Hmmm... I wonder what is causing this big disparity. Share your thoughts in the forums on this topic.

Source: BGR

2. shadyblue

shadyblue Member

Tablet / Device:
    Le Pan II
    I think it is more along the lines of piracy that is the cause of the higher top-paid apps. on Android, piracy is much easier compared to the IOS devices. On android you dont even have to root your phone to perform illegal activity, while on IOS just to get free- paid for apps, you have to jailbreak the device, and then install a tweak on it that will allow apps that are not yours to be installed on the IOS Device. So, what i am trying to say is, because Android devices are so much easier to pirate and get free apps, more people are likely doing it, so as a result, they have to raise the price on the apps to make up for the money lost due to piracy. So all of the Consumers that do not pirate are basically paying for what the pirates are doing... But that is my opinion on the subject, and i really do believe that is the cause for it... maybe a new survey should be taken on the level of piracy on each OS??

3. Griezz

Griezz Member

Tablet / Device:
    Viewsonic gTablet
    This was the latest article on the Android Tablets website:

A new report from the marketing research firm, Canalys indicates that the top paid-for Android apps were priced “dramatically higher” than those on iOS for
    the iPhone. In fact, apps on Android reportedly cost two and a half times higher than they do on iOS. Their survey indicated that 82 of the top 100 paid apps
    in Apple’s App Store were priced at just $0.99, compared to only 22 in the Android Market. Here's their full press release with even more details on their study,

Ummm... okay... can you spot the glaring statisitical fallacy here?

See, what the "survey" did was do a combined total of the "top 100 apps" and compare hte two totals. However, that is statistically meaningless, because you are
    completely ignoring what KIND of apps are being sold. Does one version have a much higher selection of simple games? Does one format have a higher amount of
    actual apps that might be used for business applications?

If you actually want to be taken seriously, how about comparing the top 100 Games or the top 100 business apps? Even better, how about an actual comparision of
    apps which are the same in both platforms? In other wrods, does "Angry Birds" for Andoid cost the same as "Angry Birds" for iOS?

If it does not, then you have a story. If it does, then you have either a waste of time or a company that was paid to advertise for Apple over Android.

4. Griezz

Griezz Member

Tablet / Device:
    Viewsonic gTablet
    Okay, I admit that I did not read closely enough; the press release does give an example of "Monopoly" which is costlier in Android form than in iOS form. However, I've seen so many version and iterations of "Monopoly", "Scrabble" and so many other games that I would be justified in asking whether it was the exact same app being discussed. To give a similar example, the 1946 Cocteau film "La Belle et la Bete" is similar in nature to the animated Disney musical "Beauty and the Beast", but you could hardly compare the two of them.
    In any event, the full press release on the company's website also mentions building into apps the possibility of future costs to purchasers for "added features". Thus, you may pay a lower price initially, but you might find Android would have been cheaper in the end.
    Besides... do we really need to remind you that the report talks about a $200 difference in the price of the "top 100" apps in Apple's favor, when the price of the actual hardware platform itself could well be $300 in Android's favor?

5. Ambrose1

Ambrose1 Member

Hello Friends Your all post are much informative, And A narrower focus on just the top 10 or 20 downloaded paid-for app listings reveals the same striking disparity in pricing.It is more along the lines of piracy that is the cause of the higher top-paid apps. on Android, piracy is much easier compared to the IOS devices.