New Coby 7022-4G

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
I got Netflix working last nite without market. I opened my browser (Dolphin Lite) and downloaded com.netflix.mediaclient-1.apk is Netflix 1.2.2 (Released 6/15/11) from [APP][Updated 6/21/11] Official Netflix - xda-developers. Once downloaded, I used the apk loader and loaded it. I've only watched about 5 minutes to see if it worked and it worked great. I have a HDMI to connect to the TV and it worked great. The only issue I have is that the sound comes out of both the TV and the 7022. I haven't tried to mess with it as it was late last nite but I'm sure there is a fix for that.

Have you solved the dual sound problem? I thought hdmi transmits sound therefor you could turn down the tablets volume or mute it, while turning up your tv?

bekovan

Jun 14, 2011
Just received my 7022-4G on the 5th. Purchased from Best Buy for $180. Product is nice, but misrepresented by the online store. Did not come with protective case or stylus as advertised. Stylus would be pointless 'cuz of the CAPACITIVE screen! But I would have liked the protective case. Trying to get BB to pony-up a free case; may return the tablet out of principle if they don't, but I'm not 100% sure on that yet. Even without the case, it's a fun tablet.

Nice performance right out of the box. Typing is still a bit tricky, finger-strikes don't always register. Already loaded Amazon Market, Kindle, Nook app, FLASH 10.3, and am testing a few other things. Can't get Android Market to load correctly, but I'm just downloading an APK and trying to install; maybe there are extra steps that I haven't tried yet (like rooting?). Really want Android Market 'cuz they have a Netflix app. I'm going to try using the above posted links to see if I can get Netflix running.

CONS
A little disappointed with HOME/MENU button placement. When holding in portrait orientation, reaching down on the right seems awkward. Reaching up to the right is where my fingers want to go. Same in landscape, except buttons are now on top of the tablet. I'm also having a bit of trouble with programs stalling then force-quitting; usually when trying to download and do stuff at the same time. I might have to pick and choose what I'm doing so I don't stall the programs. My only other complaint is that the view in landscape/horizontal viewing seems a little squished. Squares in portrait viewing appear as rectangles, circles as ovals. Very slight, but I notice it. Biggest 'peeve about this is the "locked" screen when waking from sleep. The volume and unlock circles appear as squares and I notice it every time I turn the tablet back on! Any ideas how to fix this?

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Just received my 7022-4G on the 5th. Purchased from Best Buy for $180. Product is nice, but misrepresented by the online store. Did not come with protective case or stylus as advertised. Stylus would be pointless 'cuz of the CAPACITIVE screen! But I would have liked the protective case. Trying to get BB to pony-up a free case; may return the tablet out of principle if they don't, but I'm not 100% sure on that yet. Even without the case, it's a fun tablet.

Nice performance right out of the box. Typing is still a bit tricky, finger-strikes don't always register. Already loaded Amazon Market, Kindle, Nook app, FLASH 10.3, and am testing a few other things. Can't get Android Market to load correctly, but I'm just downloading an APK and trying to install; maybe there are extra steps that I haven't tried yet (like rooting?). Really want Android Market 'cuz they have a Netflix app. I'm going to try using the above posted links to see if I can get Netflix running.

CONS
A little disappointed with HOME/MENU button placement. When holding in portrait orientation, reaching down on the right seems awkward. Reaching up to the right is where my fingers want to go. Same in landscape, except buttons are now on top of the tablet. I'm also having a bit of trouble with programs stalling then force-quitting; usually when trying to download and do stuff at the same time. I might have to pick and choose what I'm doing so I don't stall the programs. My only other complaint is that the view in landscape/horizontal viewing seems a little squished. Squares in portrait viewing appear as rectangles, circles as ovals. Very slight, but I notice it. Biggest 'peeve about this is the "locked" screen when waking from sleep. The volume and unlock circles appear as squares and I notice it every time I turn the tablet back on! Any ideas how to fix this?

As for the market you can get it working by watching the video here
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...t-market-working-7022-without-rooting-11.html

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
What is this NAND memory that has 3.0 gb free and how do I move apps there rather than onto my sd card? I see it says 4gb flash memory but I thought that would come up as internal however internal memory only has 200 mb....

gunabcd

Jul 7, 2011
is it just a sleeve or a book like case with cushion to protect it from shock?
a silly question: is the screen multi-touch? (i know it's capacitative).

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
is it just a sleeve or a book like case with cushion to protect it from shock?
a silly question: is the screen multi-touch? (i know it's capacitative).

Yes it is mutlitouch. 2 fingers max. The case in box is just a sleeve similar to an ipod sock except felt material.

bekovan

Jun 14, 2011
Posting from my 7022 now! Came with sleeve only. A dusr cover really; no drop protection at all. Kinda stretchy black material with KYROS written on it. Other models of KYROS have the folding case, but not this one. Was very disappointed that it didn't come with one (especially sincie the description said "case"; they had misinformation). Screen is multi with pinch zoom. Have not tried more than two as the above poster did. And I did get Netflix working! Just clicked on the link a few posts up and was watching within a few minutes. Had to force quit once, but that seems about par-for-course with my app usage :)

eruby

May 17, 2011
Have you solved the dual sound problem? I thought hdmi transmits sound therefor you could turn down the tablets volume or mute it, while turning up your tv?

haven't tried yet. the hdmi does transmit sound but it's connected to the volume on the tablet so when i turn down the sound on the tablet, the tv turns down also. i need to look for a tablet speaker mute button. if not, i can always bury the tablet under a pillow. main reason i wanted this was for travel. most hotels have flatscreens with hdmi ports.

eruby

May 17, 2011
I looked up Airplane mode. It turns off all radios on the tab (or phone), to comply with FAA rules about leaving all radios and GPS stuff off while landing and takeoff..

I've tried the airplane mode on the 7022 and it works. All radios are off. The selection of Airplane mode, shuts off the wifi at the same time.
When you click on Wifi, the Airplane mode turns off.. One or the other.

Cheers,
Rich

then mine has a bug. when i press the power off button and get the screen to turn on airplane mode, a little airplane shows up on the top of the screen. i can then connect to wifi without the airplane going away. since i have no 3g, i just leave the airplane mode on.

that is one thing i've noticed about these tablets. there seems to be a lot of inconsistancy. works for him but not for her. she loaded this with no problems, he loaded it and now gets forced closures. i guess this is the price you pay for open systems.

XRing

Jul 5, 2011
then mine has a bug. when i press the power off button and get the screen to turn on airplane mode, a little airplane shows up on the top of the screen. i can then connect to wifi without the airplane going away. since i have no 3g, i just leave the airplane mode on.

that is one thing i've noticed about these tablets. there seems to be a lot of inconsistancy. works for him but not for her. she loaded this with no problems, he loaded it and now gets forced closures. i guess this is the price you pay for open systems.

These differences in operation might be due to the apps we are running.
I'm currently trying out a power saver app that should be regulating the radio power.
Not sure I'm going to keep it, since it doesn't seem to be doing much.
Anyways, before I loaded the app (maybe before I loaded any apps),
I think airplane mode always switched off wifi..

So, my question is, are you running anything that might be influencing wifi mode?

Thanks,
Rich

gunabcd

Jul 7, 2011
haven't tried yet. the hdmi does transmit sound but it's connected to the volume on the tablet so when i turn down the sound on the tablet, the tv turns down also. i need to look for a tablet speaker mute button. if not, i can always bury the tablet under a pillow. main reason i wanted this was for travel. most hotels have flatscreens with hdmi ports.

It's really wierd Coby didn't test this, but should be simple enough for them to fix via f/w/ upgrade. I hope they take care of it in near future.

What if you pulg in the earph/headph into the 3.5mm jack, that should block the sound from speakers, or does it block it from HDMI also ?

gunabcd

Jul 7, 2011
I got mine last night from Toys r us for $180 with $25 gc, but haven't opened it yet.
per coby website warantee is only 90 days and you pay shipping both ways for repairs. some people complain about coby stuff generally breaks easily.

I called coby for the warantee info, the guys said it's 1 yr parts and labor, he said the web-site is not up to date so it looks like tablets fall in the 90 days category.

What does the warantee card in the box say?

eruby

May 17, 2011
These differences in operation might be due to the apps we are running.
I'm currently trying out a power saver app that should be regulating the radio power.
Not sure I'm going to keep it, since it doesn't seem to be doing much.
Anyways, before I loaded the app (maybe before I loaded any apps),
I think airplane mode always switched off wifi..

So, my question is, are you running anything that might be influencing wifi mode?

Thanks,
Rich

Hey Rich, you may have it. I did download and install a battery saver app. it gives me the % charge and battery temp (not sure what this is good for) up on the status bar on top. Maybe that's allowing wifi during airplane mode. Don't know if it's doing anything since its just yet another app running in the background.

XRing

Jul 5, 2011
Hey Rich, you may have it. I did download and install a battery saver app. it gives me the % charge and battery temp (not sure what this is good for) up on the status bar on top. Maybe that's allowing wifi during airplane mode. Don't know if it's doing anything since its just yet another app running in the background.

I've un-installed my power saver app.. I would like to try out the one you are using. If it's free :)
Please post the name of the app and where it came from, if it's not on the "market".

Thanks,
Rich

eruby

May 17, 2011
I've un-installed my power saver app.. I would like to try out the one you are using. If it's free :)
Please post the name of the app and where it came from, if it's not on the "market".

Thanks,
Rich

Rich, I did get it free from applib. I'm headed on vacation but I believe it was called battery booster. it was free.