New Coby 7022-4G

XRing

Jul 5, 2011
Thanks, I'll bet the manual says it's avi compatible too. When I touched the video, I got a choice of the ES Video Player and Movies.
I tried to play my video (loaded via USB from PC) and both said they could not play it..
So, after using the really bad player, and reading your post, I tried again and got good video and sound!! :)

Last edited:

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Hi Everyone! I am also a newbee and have placed my Coby 7022 from TRU on layaway last week and will probably get it this weekend or by the end of the month. Some of you have mentioned receiving a $25 GC when purchased. One comment was as recent as 7-08-11. Will you please let me know how you were able to get the $25 GC? I was not provided any information on this GC when I made my first partial payment (possibly due to not completely paying for the item in full, but I am not sure). Thanks!

I just got a gift card Saturday when I went in store. didn't even say anything they just gave it to me

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

dedgeu2

Jul 11, 2011
I just got a gift card Saturday when I went in store. didn't even say anything they just gave it to me

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum
Thanks for the feedback. I hope I get one myself once I get it. It seems to be a decent tablet for the price.

tdn327

Jul 7, 2011
from the back to school catalog at toysrus on page 28 it saids good til july 23 off the top of my head

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Yes page 28 of the back to school catalog clearly states a $25 gift card for a purchase of a tablet 179.99 or more. Therefore go back with your receipt and print the ad page and get your 25 bucks.

Toys 'R' Us - Newspaper Ads

gunabcd

Jul 7, 2011
I had called coby last week about this, the guy could not provide the link to the same said the website is not up to date, so i asked him send me a copy by mail. Today i received the copy of "Coby Limited Warranty" which says it is 1 year for pats and labor for "Mobile Internet Devices (MID)".

This is the main difference between the noname resistive chinese tablet ($159) that a guy promoted on slickdeal (i am sure he made a lot of money in referal) and a well known american company. it's not about where the product is made but it's about who is doing the QC and whose reputation is at stake.

Last edited:

gunabcd

Jul 7, 2011
I opened my coby box yesterday, put android market (thanks to "daprospecta"), adobe flash 10.2 and bunch of other apps, games etc. i use an 8gb micro SD card full of pics, music, videos, ebooks and docs. i keep games on the NAND (coby's internal storage). Everything is working fine, screen is really smooth and fun to use. i was used to resistive screen so had trouble using it with finger nail, but now find it much much better using finger tip. it does take getting used to it.

The reason i was hesitating to open the box was that i was not sure if 7" size will be enough to read scanned PDF's, since that is going to be the main purpose of this device for me for the next 2 years. since entire screen is available for PDF and it can be zoomed so that only text is part of the doc is visible and not the gutters, it wors perfectly for me. Tried ebooks also, the size is just perfect. i also used it in the train this morning and realized that if it was any bigger (heavier) then it would have been an issue.

some minor cons observed so far:
- sometimes when it's lying flat on the floor, the screen switches between portrait and landscape contineously.
- speaker is on the back side, so i think if you use a folding case to keep it like a typical ereader, then 90% of the speaer volume will be blocked.
- media library does not show file names of the pics and videos, you have to use the "efile explorer" to see files names but in doing that you can not select files from multiple folders.
- so far i have not found a way to read newspapers or sites in other languages.
- my son played angry birds and he already thinks the device is HIS.

Last edited:

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
I opened my coby box yesterday, put android market (thanks to "daprospecta"), adobe flash 10.2 and bunch of other apps, games etc. i use an 8gb micro SD card full of pics, music, videos, ebooks and docs. i keep games on the NAND (coby's internal storage). Everything is working fine, screen is really smooth and fun to use. i was used to resistive screen so had trouble using it with finger nail, but now find it much much better using finger tip. it does take getting used to it.

The reason i was hesitating to open the box was that i was not sure if 7" size will be enough to read scanned PDF's, since that is going to be the main purpose of this device for me for the next 2 years. since entire screen is available for PDF and it can be zoomed so that only text is part of the doc is visible and not the gutters, it wors perfectly for me. Tried ebooks also, the size is just perfect. i also used it in the train this morning and realized that if it was any bigger (heavier) then it would have been an issue.

some minor cons observed so far:
- sometimes when it's lying flat on the floor, the screen switches between portrait and landscape contineously.
- speaker is on the back side, so i think if you use a folding case to keep it like a typical ereader, then 90% of the speaer volume will be blocked.
- media library does not show file names of the pics and videos, you have to use the "efile explorer" to see files names but in doing that you can not select files from multiple folders.
- so far i have not found a way to read newspapers or sites in other languages.
- my son played angry birds and he already thinks the device is HIS.

Auto rotate on off will fix the first problem in the market.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

dedgeu2

Jul 11, 2011
Got mine last night. Got the marked intalled (thanks to daprospecta for the steps!). Downloaded Dolphin HD, Netflix (what's with the price hike?), Amazon Kindle and Flash 10.3. I did not get to use it much last night but my first impressions is that the screen is very receptive and the tablet is fairly fast. The tablet is slightly heavier than I expected but it makes me feel it is solidly built because of it. I have to purchase a screen protector and a simple case for it. One thing that I was sort of disappointed about is that it has a single very tiny dead pixel on the top right hand corner (if I am holding it landscape mode). It is only visible when the screen's background is dark such as when you boot up, shut down, or work within settings and such. You can't really see it while streaming or browsing. Not sure if it is enough of an issue to get a replacement.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Anyone know a good inexpensive case and a screen protector for coby 7"? i am thinking of one of these cases :
Amazon.com: Synthetic Leather Case Cover for 7" Wifi Apad Epad Tablet Pc: Electronics
Black Foldable Leather Case For 7" Coby Kyros MID7015 | eBay

Both this cases look good but do you plan on cutting a hole for the speaker or you don't use the speaker? I really want to get a folding case like the ones you pictured but still want to use my speaker. I will probably buy that amazon one you linked and cut a little rectangle out for the speaker with an exacto knife.

EDIT: I went ahead and bought this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310319490938

That ebay store has a bunch of different cases for a 7 inch tablet. I'll let you know how it fits.

Last edited:

winterwarloc

Jul 14, 2011

rpcantrell

May 30, 2011
I have played several avi's with no problems. Works great with the HDMI on TV, too. I just plug the sd card into my computer and put a few movies on it, put it bac in the tablet, mount it, then go to file explorer, and use movies as the player. No problems yet.

iandy

Jul 15, 2011
How do you guys check the amount of RAM?

My 7022 shows to only have a ram of 390MB instead of 512MB using several apps.