New Coby 7022-4G

not12listen

Jun 30, 2011
At this point I would NOT install CM7. Stay away unless you want a broken touch screen and lots of stuff doesn't work. And if you don't make backups you're screwed.

well... that sucks. i'm hoping to get a bit more flexibility out of it (ie. Android Marketplace & ability to disable 3G and not Wifi). thats about it... :) i have not rooted the device yet - it is basically out of the box still. :)

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
well... that sucks. i'm hoping to get a bit more flexibility out of it (ie. Android Marketplace & ability to disable 3G and not Wifi). thats about it... :) i have not rooted the device yet - it is basically out of the box still. :)

You can install the full market latest version without root (Go to technical section). You can disable the phone stuff by rooting the phone and renaming phone.apk and telephony.apk once you root it.

CM7 usually makes things faster and what not as well as gives you the ability for themes and has a bunch of other cool settings but at this point it sucks on our tablet and not worth the time since pretty much all the reports have been a non-responsive touch screen.

fun

Aug 19, 2010
CM7 usually makes things faster and what not as well as gives you the ability for themes and has a bunch of other cool settings but at this point it sucks on our tablet and not worth the time since pretty much all the reports have been a non-responsive touch screen.

thank you for spreading lie story. you shouldn't use clockworkdmod made by same author.

Last edited:

bzegil

Jul 16, 2011
What's the story on Tethering the 7022 to your rooted phone? I was looking around last night for a solution, but there seem to be no easy way. If anyone has successfully got their 7022 to Tether, could you please post your method. Thanks

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
thank you for spreading lie story. you shouldn't use clockworkdmod made by same author.

Why would someone want to use something that is not fully functional? And is known to make unresponsive touch screens with coby 7022. If you want I will quote every single post that talks about unresponsive touch screen there are at least 5 more like 10 users who have posted this.

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
What's the story on Tethering the 7022 to your rooted phone? I was looking around last night for a solution, but there seem to be no easy way. If anyone has successfully got their 7022 to Tether, could you please post your method. Thanks

I have an evo. Im rooted on my evo and I use wireless tether. My coby picks it up just like a regular wifi connection

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

opamp

Nov 13, 2010
I have used a non-rooted Nexus S with wifi and GPS tether, This works great together. The problem with older Droids and phones the wireless tether is ad hoc mode even rooting the phone won't fix this hardware limitation, You have to root the 7022 and change the wifi to use ad hoc networking.

fun

Aug 19, 2010
Why would someone want to use something that is not fully functional? And is known to make unresponsive touch screens with coby 7022. If you want I will quote every single post that talks about unresponsive touch screen there are at least 5 more like 10 users who have posted this.

I don't force people to use CM7 and I explained what works and what does not work without lie. but I don't stop someone who want to use CM7 to judge it is useful for himself. as a fact, "someone want to use something that is not fully functional" are exist.

of course I don't recommend flasing *any* non-supported files into your tablet because it may have chance to brick your tablet. if someone doesn't want to brick his tablet, please don't do it.

if you want to quote posts, please quote both "does not work" and "work" posts for fair judgement. and please quote detail e.g. completely dead, or not work just after suspend/resume but works again after reboot, or did calibration wrongly, or flashed wrong file, and so on. if you can please explain why TS dead with technical background and please explain why you don't claim about clockworkmod which build from same source.

of course I know some people really got unfixable "dead TS". I guess flashing lk.rom causes it, but some of them said this problem happened not after flashing lk.rom. so I'm not sure & confused what causes this problem.

rpcantrell

May 30, 2011
I have a rooted 7022 and it will tether to my Optimus V with no problems. 3G is kinda slow compared to wifi, but it will work if necessary.

DuhDroid

Jul 12, 2011
I have a rooted 7022 and it will tether to my Optimus V with no problems. 3G is kinda slow compared to wifi, but it will work if necessary.

An alternative for those who don't know how or want to root their phone is to use a MiFi. You can get one "pay as you go" and purchase just the time you want when traveling or away from a local WiFi. This MiFi creates your own WiFi hot spot that is portable and you can connect up to five devices to it. I was at a T-Mobile store today and my 7022 connected to their MiFi with no problem at all.

Last edited:

bzegil

Jul 16, 2011
I have an evo. Im rooted on my evo and I use wireless tether. My coby picks it up just like a regular wifi connection

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Did you root your Coby for it to see the wifi signal? I have 3 different laptops that can all see the wifi signal from my rooted phone, however the Coby just doesn't see it. Lastly, what version of wireless tether are you running on the evo?

bzegil

Jul 16, 2011

Are you using wifi tether, and if so what version? I have an Optimus S so it should be able to tether, my 7022 is just not seeing the phone. Do you have a link on rooting this model?

rpcantrell

May 30, 2011
I use quicksettings.just turn on wifi. Hotspot and my 7022 picks it up as AndroidAP. It worked before rooting and still does. This ison my Optimus V.

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

eruby

May 17, 2011
You can disable the phone stuff by rooting the phone and renaming phone.apk and telephony.apk once you root it.
Is there any way to diasble these or rename them to phone.old and telephone.old like I saw in another post WITHOUT rooting??

recording_fil

Jul 19, 2011
Just picked up my 7022 for $179 from Toys R Us (thanks to this forum) and by the way, the $25 gift card deal ends today, so you'd better hurry if you want to get in on the deal.

I used this forum & this youtube video to get android market running on it
It took a little work, I couldn't find the folder on the sd card on it's explorer, so I ended up putting "hack" folder on the built in sd card and it worked fine.

The only problem I have with the Kyros is the wifi seems incredibly weak. I have to be within 30' of my router to get a decent signal. And I've got a new router that all of my other decives see just fine everywhere in the house and out into the yard. Any "fixes" for wireless strength?

Thanks
Fil

Last edited by a moderator: