New Coby Kyros 7012. Newbie - looking for links...

jp1216

Dec 5, 2011
OK - found a cheap ($70 ish) Coby Kyros 7012 and it arrived today. It is a Christmas gadget for my 13-year-old daughter.
I found the following links useful -

Android Market for 7024

and

Netflix update on the 7012

Within an hour, I had her GMAIL app going, the full Android Market installed, and even Netflix 1.2.1 (the version that works) running. So far so good. And (of course) Angry Birds too.

No 'rooting' etc. Just simple installing of pre-exsisting apps.

Anyone with other good links? Helpful tips etc? I haven't even looked into over-clocking etc...

Flash Player? Browsers? Advice?

jp1216

Dec 5, 2011
Yeah, I bought it for the price - without any research. Before it arrived, I was expecting to return it - after reading reviews etc. Glad I found this site.

Any other tips or tweaks? Probably go after Flash Player today and load up a few more games.
I just tried a version I found(10.1) on another thread - it installed, but it doesn't appear to run/load.

How about performance tweaks? Speed and battery life?

I'm getting used to using a stylus. Finger action isn't good. Nearly impossible.

I downloaded XScope for a web browser. I use it on my EVO and like it. Is Dolphin that much better?

How about a good movie player to play files from the SD card? I loaded one .AVI file that seems to play fine with the default player, but I can't fast forward, pause etc. Other .AVIs have failed to load.
Haven't tried .WMV or .MPG etc yet.

Last edited:

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Welcome to the board jp1216, I am glad you found the board too, I am sure your daughter will enjoy her Christmas Tablet. I hope someone has some tweaks they can share to improve it's performance and other things you're looking to do with it. :D We're getting the MID1125 after Christmas, they've already come down just $10 bucks since I've been price watching the amazon link, so I am sure we'll see it drop an other ten after Christmas and then we'll jump! :D Can't resist the price (we're jumping if it hits $200) for a killer 10" tablet. ;)

jp1216

Dec 5, 2011
I believe my SD card was bad. Probably why I found it at the bottom of my desk. Most files were becoming corrupt after a reboot.
I tried flash 10.1. Install worked, but couldn't use it with web browsers. Found the newest .apk and installed it too - same results...:(

jp1216

Dec 5, 2011
Probably right about the Flash Player. Not too big of a deal - just nice for some kids games online. Just glad Netflix works! That would've ruined it.

My goal was to find a cheap android tablet, run Netflix, play market games, run a slideshow pictures app (like a digital frame), and play movies (AVI, MPG, WMV etc) from an SD card. So far so good. Just picked up a new 8GB card.

Last edited:

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Yeah the 7012 is a decent device for the money, hope the new card works out better for you then the bad one did. ;) Nice signature too! :D

ahsier

Dec 14, 2011
I just bought the 7012 for 11yrold. I just got it in the mail today and was curious about flash beacuse my son loves android games, and found this forum. Found alot of good and bad info.
Quick question though, do I really need to to buy the SD csrd for extra space? I was going to install the Android Maket and a decent vedio player.

Thanks for all of the great advice:eek:!

ResidentEvil

Nov 6, 2011
I would, they are cheap now.....just my 2 cents & I've been using Boat Browser it's ok

sent from my Mind to your brain.

Last edited:

vmathews3

Nov 30, 2011
I am glad you got yours working but I am still struggling. I need a working flash and netflix. It would be nice if you shared the link and/or the file you used. I have been looking for 3 days now. I sure would appreciate it. I have a kyros 7024.
Thanks,
GrandmaGinny

jp1216

Dec 5, 2011
OK - 4 month update. Really disappointed with this thing. Loads VERY slow. Netflix 1.2.1 loads, but won't play anything anymore. Keeps asking me to download the newest version (which I was told would slow it down or make videos choppy). Thinking of doing a factory reset and trying again. Any new tricks out there?