New Craig 7" Tablet CMP741d ICS 4.03

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
I haven't found much out there about this RK2918 based tablet but it seems to be pretty decent. But full "specs" and even the firmware download can be found here Craig Electronics Inc.. I bought it from CVS Pharmacy for $99.99. Right out of the box the supplied 9v charger was DOA so I exchanged it. It's fairly snappy with a clock speed of 1008 Mhz (advertised as 1300 Mhz but shows a max of 1008 Mhz in Setcpu). It does come with AOSP ICS 4.03 and runs pretty smooth especially after root and changing the govenor to On Demand instead of Interactive. Battery life is okay but not very good IMO. The lcd is 800x400 and of not that great quality with low color depth I guess (you can see color breaks on gradients). The touch screen is capacitive touch and is fairly responsive but could use a little more sensitivity. The tablet actually comes semi rooted right out of the box but still need full root. So after much trial and error I have full root and a fully working Google Play Store.

I'd really like to see a custom rom make it's way to this tablet with recovery, root and gapps but I don't think this thing has really landed in capable hands just yet. I'd make a basic rooted with gapps rom if I knew how but I do not lol. Also I have noticed only one app so far that will not work and it's the Netflix app. It installs, opens and then freezes at the selection screen.

sizemoremk

Jul 19, 2012
I just picked one of these models up but I've never done any rooting of android devices... I've looked around and it looks like there are several steps involved in replacing the OS and such, but you mention that this one is semi rooted out of the box. What ROM did you put on this one?

There is but one app I am interested in (navionicsHD which requires honeycomb or higher), and you can only get it through the google play store. So might you be able to share what you have done to get it to the point of getting the google app staore installed?

Thank ya sir!

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012

Fabby101

Jul 25, 2012
hey chris i have the same tablet my mom bought it 2 weeks ago and i want to hack the games i have tablet. nd i found out about rooting since i want to hack a game. im new to this whole "root" thing. and iv been searching how to do it so im asking for your help on how to root my tablet plz.

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
hey chris i have the same tablet my mom bought it 2 weeks ago and i want to hack the games i have tablet. nd i found out about rooting since i want to hack a game. im new to this whole "root" thing. and iv been searching how to do it so im asking for your help on how to root my tablet plz.

Follow the guide in the post above yours and it will get your tablet rooted.

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
I can prepare the driver for you but you would have to download the Android SDK and Java SDK. It's really simple after you get past the adb/driver problems. You said you have the exact same model? If that's the case it should be easy since I know exactly what I did to mine to get root and google apps working.

Fabby101

Jul 25, 2012
Thanks that would be nice. i already downloaded the Java SDK and the Android SDK and Root That. but the adb/driver is like reading codes in Chinese to me so i'm like very lost at that part.

Fabby101

Jul 25, 2012
yea mines is definitely the CMP741d model well i download the Android SDK, Java SDK and Root That. basically i downloaded what it said for me to download on the link yhur provided above

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
Okay I am going to assume you are on Windows since that's the only OS I can confirm this works on (I'm on Windows 7). Go ahead and install the Java SDK. Then extract the Android SDK zip to c: and then run the SDK manger program inside that folder you just unzipped. You need to install "Android SDK Tools", "Android SDK-Platform Tools", and "Google USB Driver Package". The SDK manager program asks about a lot of packages and what you want to install. You can of course install them all but those 3 will be the basics for getting the adb interface working.

After installing everything go to your tablet and find the settings for "USB debugging" and "unknown sources" and make sure they are both checked. Then take this zip from this link FileSwap.com : Drivers_root.zip download free and extract them exactly where the directions say included. Then plug in your tablet and if it asks for a driver point it to the "Google usb driver" folder and let it install. If it doesn't ask then go in to device manager on windows and locate your device in the list. I do not remember what it was called but it shouldn't be to hard to locate. From there right click it and update the driver and point it to the usb google driver folder and it should install. You may or may not have to force install the driver because I don't think it is digitally signed but it is fine. Once you get that far open up a cmd prompt and run these commands while the tablet is attached through usb still. First type "adb start-server" and be sure it says it started and then type "adb devices". It should list a device with a series of numbers. If it does then you are safe to run rootthat and root the tablet and install the google apps services. Note that when you try to root it will say it's already rooted but it is only half rooted so you will have to click root again to make sure you gain full root.

Fabby101

Jul 25, 2012
ok so i set up the adb drivers ;D but the google usb driver part im stuck. because yhu said let something install but i dnt know what im supposed to install

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
You will likely have to go into device manager in windows, find the tablet, right click it and manually update it's driver by pointing at the folder the modified drivers are in. I had to do this because mine did not automatically install.