New Craig 7" Tablet CMP741d ICS 4.03

rschaal

Sep 25, 2012
If I can interject, I did manage to root the CMP741d using comments in this thread. I did it with RootThat-ICS. The biggest problem encountered was the getting the modified Google USB driver to install on my Windows-XP. I had to uninstall virtually all devices related to USB on the Pea Sea and then reboot in order to avoid interference from the Microsoft generic driver. MANY THANKS, CHRISLJ74 - I hope to repay your efforts one day.

DerpyTails

Aug 31, 2012
For those wondering if this will work or not, but Bad Piggies WILL work on this tablet, I tested it and it works flawlessly, but I think it's either the tablet itself or the game, but I noticed that 1. the tablet gets hot from extended play (not burning hot though) and 2. the battery drains fast

thepete

Sep 26, 2012
Hey Chris. ok so i know what i was doing wrong. my Rootthat folder wasnt in the C:\ and so when i didn it showed my Devices code. so when i install the G apps how many apps are going to be installed? and what will the apps be?

This cleared up the problem for me, too. THANK YOU!!

sacrophice

Oct 9, 2012
Hello, i have already rooted this device and was wondering has there been any news of a custom rom for this device, and if so where can i find it.

ezri

Oct 20, 2012
Hi everyone,

I just purchased the CMP741d. The first screen and only screen that I see is a login screen but I don't see any instructions of what password/login could be. There isn't anything in the booklet. I did create a gmail account; but how would the new device know how to contact that account. It seems the Craig customer service department isn't opened until Monday - but I want to use it before then. Plus, what web connector device is compatible? In other words, HELP! :)

knighteagle

Nov 1, 2012
I am having some trouble rooting my cmp741d also. I have adb running correctly I think as the adb devices command does find other android devices. Though with the Craig cmp741d plugged in it returns a blank line instead of an id number. Not sure how to get any further. I have done a bunch of searching without finding any explanation. If anybody has any suggestions the help would be greatly appreciated. The result is the same on both windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux running adb

mhunt13

Nov 15, 2012
What's the 'dead' android logo?
--------------------------------------
Thank you to Chris - following your many posts here, I have rooted my CMP741d. Still on stock rom, but fully rooted and Google Play store working great!

Wondering how to get a recovery working on it now. Have discovered that (from power-off state) you can press & hold the 'Power-On' and 'ESC' buttons at same time --- it takes a few seconds, the ICS logo appears first (keep holding) then it blinks to a strange android logo. The logo is a 'dead' android, lying on his back with tummy door open. Above tummy is a reddish triangle, with an exclamation point inside it.

I'm guessing this is some sort of recovery boot, yet the issue is what to do next? I've tried all types of key combinations, but nothing changes, no options appear. With only 3 external buttons, there's not much to try. After about 3 minutes, the tablet will power off then just re-boot normally.

So, what have I found in the 'dead' android?? And does anyone know how to use, to make options appear??

Thanks for any thoughts ---

tomk

Nov 16, 2012
I am having some trouble rooting my cmp741d also. I have adb running correctly I think as the adb devices command does find other android devices. Though with the Craig cmp741d plugged in it returns a blank line instead of an id number. Not sure how to get any further. I have done a bunch of searching without finding any explanation. If anybody has any suggestions the help would be greatly appreciated. The result is the same on both windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux running adb

I had a similar problem following the rooting instructions. Found that I was missing the adb_usb.ini file in the \user\....\.android\adb_usb.ini directory.
Found it in chrislj74 post on 7/27/2012 (page 2 of this thread) : FileSwap.com : Drivers_root.zip
Give it a try, might solve your problem.

tomk

Nov 16, 2012
BATTERY LIFE
Anybody have any comments on the battery life of the CMP741d. Mine stays up for about 3 hours of 'book reading', is down to 60% at that point and drops like a rock to 14% within the next 10 minutes. Overall best bat time so far was 3Hrs 42 min.

mhunt13

Nov 15, 2012
BATTERY LIFE
Anybody have any comments on the battery life of the CMP741d. Mine stays up for about 3 hours of 'book reading', is down to 60% at that point and drops like a rock to 14% within the next 10 minutes. Overall best bat time so far was 3Hrs 42 min.

A big help is turn off WIFI while you're reading. If I do this, it will last 5-6 hours.

Basically, look through the settings and turn off anything that uses power. There is a modem setting that can be off, and under advanced WIFI one to notify about open networks -- that will repeatedly scan for networks and use power. You can turn it off and scan manually when you need to. Another WIFI setting to stay connected when in 'sleep' mode -- can be set to 'only when plugged in'.

And watch out for widgets -- I only have one active, for time and weather, and set to update weather only every 30 min. They can use up power, too.

Good luck!

tomk

Nov 16, 2012
A big help is turn off WIFI while you're reading. If I do this, it will last 5-6 hours.

Basically, look through the settings and turn off anything that uses power. There is a modem setting that can be off, and under advanced WIFI one to notify about open networks -- that will repeatedly scan for networks and use power. You can turn it off and scan manually when you need to. Another WIFI setting to stay connected when in 'sleep' mode -- can be set to 'only when plugged in'.

And watch out for widgets -- I only have one active, for time and weather, and set to update weather only every 30 min. They can use up power, too.

Good luck!

Thanks, will give your suggestions a try.
Tom

insink71

Feb 17, 2012
Okay I am going to assume you are on Windows since that's the only OS I can confirm this works on (I'm on Windows 7). Go ahead and install the Java SDK. Then extract the Android SDK zip to c: and then run the SDK manger program inside that folder you just unzipped. You need to install "Android SDK Tools", "Android SDK-Platform Tools", and "Google USB Driver Package". The SDK manager program asks about a lot of packages and what you want to install. You can of course install them all but those 3 will be the basics for getting the adb interface working.

After installing everything go to your tablet and find the settings for "USB debugging" and "unknown sources" and make sure they are both checked. Then take this zip from this link FileSwap.com : Drivers_root.zip download free and extract them exactly where the directions say included. Then plug in your tablet and if it asks for a driver point it to the "Google usb driver" folder and let it install. If it doesn't ask then go in to device manager on windows and locate your device in the list. I do not remember what it was called but it shouldn't be to hard to locate. From there right click it and update the driver and point it to the usb google driver folder and it should install. You may or may not have to force install the driver because I don't think it is digitally signed but it is fine. Once you get that far open up a cmd prompt and run these commands while the tablet is attached through usb still. First type "adb start-server" and be sure it says it started and then type "adb devices". It should list a device with a series of numbers. If it does then you are safe to run rootthat and root the tablet and install the google apps services. Note that when you try to root it will say it's already rooted but it is only half rooted so you will have to click root again to make sure you gain full root.
Ok.. So I tried this. Rooting this device for a xmas gift (for my dad to give to my nephew). Frustrating as I've setup adb on several devices and am quite familiar with it, linux, udev rules, etc. But perhaps bc I'm coming off an illness or bc I'm stuck on Win 7 today.. it just doesn't want to recognize this device (serial not coming up when prompting with adb devices).
Question: Do I need to be booted into boatloader mode? If so, how does one boot to bootloader on this device.
Base machine: Win 7 32 bit.. comes up with 5 auto-installed modules: USB Composite Device, USB Mass Storage Device, CMP741d (this is the one I changed out to no avail), then 2x Linus File - CD Gadget USB Device.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rob

EDIT: Found answer. It sometimes does have driver issues... check out this post on XDA (and the attached pdf): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=27784067&postcount=10 and read in aforementioned pdf points 18-20.. basically force the adb.. these settings are in Chris' attachments, but only by forcing them by typing in 0x2207 did I get it to finally work.

Rob

Last edited:

RDabate

Dec 17, 2012
I just got one of these for my kid to play games on through Amazon. The darn thing came without an OS. Can someone point me into the right direction to get something on this thing?