New Craig 7" Tablet CMP741d ICS 4.03

The.Beard

Dec 25, 2012
Hey Guys,

So I bought two of these for my two young boys to play apps and games. I charged them up a couple days before Christmas, wrapped them and sat back to enjoy their excitement when they opened them on Christmas morning. I now know that GApps doesn't work out of the box and landed here in my search for a solution.

Many thanks to those with far more knowledge of this subject than me as this seems like the perfect thread to help me. However, I'm having problems:

* I cannot get the RootThat-ICS.zip to unzip - I get an error "The archive is either unknown format or damaged" - and am unable to find it elsewhere on the web. Will an alternative accomplish the same end?
* the cmd commands don't work for me. It's entirely possible that I'm doing something wrong and/or messed something up along the way but I don't know what to do from here. When I run either of the two commands ("adb start-server" and "adb devices") I get the following error : 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I have gotten the drivers installed correctly and that seems to be the tricky part so I'm thinking the problem is a minor/silly oversight or misstep on my end but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Last edited:

The.Beard

Dec 25, 2012
Tonight, I finally achieved root and install gapps on the first tablet... but for whatever reason Angry Birds (my kids' favorite) won't run. I've uninstalled, re-installed, rebooted, etc. several times. Odd because everything else I've installed so far runs perfectly.

As for how I solved my original problems (For the record, I'm running Vista Ultimate x64):

* I deleted RootThat-ICS.zip, re-DL'd and had the same issue. I deleted again, rebooted, re-DL'd and it worked. Don't ask me why. (Probably shouldn't bother with this as it didn't even work for me)

* For the command line problems - in my ignorance, I wasn't running the command in the proper location. I stumbled across another forum and found a post that was idiot proof for even me. I think the tutorials that I was following were a little bit dated as the syntax of the file names on the android SDK was different. Also, once I got to that point, RootThat-ICS didn't work for me. I wound up using unlockroot23.exe per the PDF referenced in this thread. Of course, that meant manually installing GApps... a little tedious but not difficult. Ultimately, the following steps are what worked for me:

* I extracted the contents of the SDK zip file and then renamed the extracted folder to exactly match that in the tutorial.
* Then, to get the command line stuff to work properly, I browsed to C:\android-sdk\platform tools and held SHIFT while right-clicking on an empty space within the folder. That brought up a shortcut menu with one of the choices being "Open Command Window Here".
* After discovering that RootThat didn't work, I rooted with unlockroot23.
* Then I installed GApps manually (see the below link for a webpage that really helped me find my way)

How to install gapps on pretty much any rooted device - SlateDroid.com

Good luck!

Last edited:

Qual_Tun

Dec 27, 2012
Tonight, I finally achieved root and install gapps on the first tablet... but for whatever reason Angry Birds (my kids' favorite) won't run. I've uninstalled, re-installed, rebooted, etc. several times. Odd because everything else I've installed so far runs perfectly.

Try sideloading them, every one i sideloaded worked (cept star wars), don't update, doesn't work after an update.

now if we could netflix working.......that would be great :)

anyone get amazon apps to work? seems to be unresponsive like netflix?

btw thx chris!

craigtabuser

Dec 24, 2012
hey chris,

Thanks! rooted and google play based on your instructions. Perfect. Any luck on Netflix yet? Ive tried every version of Netflix.apks from 1.2 through present - no luck.

Also can't find a tun.ko for my hotspot vpn app so I can watch american netflix once I get it up and running. My canadian netflix account is great bu more selection on US version imo. Ive got vpn and netflix on my other tablets and smartphones - just this craig cmp741d giving me a hard time. How about you?

btw, is this what your build prop file looks like:

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=IML74K
ro.build.display.id=rk29sdk-eng 4.0.3 IML74K eng.xcy.20120529.103920 test-keys
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.xcy.20120529.103920
ro.build.version.sdk=15
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=4.0.3
ro.build.date=2012年 05月 29日 星期二 10:53:00 CST
ro.build.date.utc=1338259980
ro.build.type=eng
ro.build.user=xcy
ro.build.host=xcy-desktop
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=CMP741d
ro.product.brand=Android
ro.product.name=rk29sdk
ro.product.device=rk29sdk
ro.product.board=rk29sdk
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=unknown
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=rockchip
#
ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=rk29sdk
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=rk29sdk-eng 4.0.3 IML74K eng.xcy.20120529.103920 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=Android/rk29sdk/rk29sdk:4.0.3/IML74K/eng.xcy.20120529.103920:eng/test-keys
ro.build.characteristics=tablet
# end build properties
#
#
ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy

ro.config.ringtone=Ring_Synth_04.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=pixiedust.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
ro.config.facelock=enable_facelock
persist.facelock.detect_cutoff=5000
persist.facelock.recog_cutoff=5000
ro.opengles.version=131072
wifi.interface=wlan0
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=15
persist.sys.usb.config=mass_storage
persist.sys.strictmode.visual=false
dalvik.vm.jniopts=warnonly
ro.sf.hwrotation=270
ro.sf.fakerotation=true
sys.hwc.compose_policy=6
persist.sys.ui.hw=true
persist.sys.timezone=US/Eastern
opengl.vivante.texture=1
rild.libargs=-d_/dev/ttyUSB1
ril.pppchannel=/dev/ttyUSB2
rild.libpath=/system/lib/libril-rk29-dataonly.so
ril.function.dataonly=1
dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=8m
dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=64m
dalvik.vm.heapsize=256m
ro.rksdk.version=RK2918_ANDROID4.0.3-SDK_V2.10_20120205
ro.product.version=1.0.0
ro.product.ota.host=www.rockchip.com:2300
ro.sf.lcd_density=160
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=1
ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

jayohe12

Dec 30, 2012
I've installed rootthat and followed all instructions that theunlockr has set. USB debugging is set, i have the right drivers and my computer found my tablet. but when i run root device it still shows that no devices were found. HELp before i throw this tablet lol

highroller

Jan 11, 2013
I have CMP741e, not d tablet. I followed the instructions here and rooted it successfully. It works great, but the battery life sucks. One full charge lasts less than 4 hours. When I went to Setting->Battery, I found that 75% of the battery time is used for Cell Standby. This is a tablet, not a cellphone, why is there a cell standby? Does anyone have the same problem with their CMP741d tablet? Does anyone here know how to fix it or turn off the cell radio? Theoretically, it should be able to last 16 hours if it's not because of cell standby... huge difference!

Thanks.