New here and also new to Android devices. I have a question...

BoneDigger

Jul 31, 2011
Hello everyone. I purchased an IconiaTab A500 16 GB from Office Depot yesterday using the Staples $100 off coupon. Pretty nice tablet for $300!

I have been playing around with it some last night and today and I think I have it mostly figured out. I have an Iphone and Ipods so not as familiar with Android. I do have a couple of questions though...

1) How do you remove apps from the unit? I have the free version of Documents to go and also the upgraded version. Can I remove the free version so as to declutter the screen?

2) What are widgets?

3) Is there a good app for using a stylus to edit and comment on PDF or other documents?

4) If I buy a micro SD card from Best buy is there a preferred brand?

Thanks guys!

Todd

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
You can hide an icon by doing a long press, then dragging it to the upper right corner of the screen, to the word "remove". This doesn't uninstall it, and any programs that came pre-installed can't be uninstalled anyway (without special procedures). I'm told that the stock bloatware doesn't really take up much space, although I don't really believe that. :) You can just drag excess icons left or right to another screenful, if you don't want to hide them. Regardless, it's easy to unhide them later.

Widgets are small programs that run among icons on screen, like the clock or the bookmarks.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi BoneDigger, welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the new tablet. As far as the SD card is concerned, I've had good luck with inexpensive ones like Patriot. The main thing is to get at least a Class 4.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2011
Welcome to the forum and the world of Android.
on your istuff to remove an icon you do one method and on Android you hold the icon until it highlights then drag it to the trash can instead of waiting for an X to show up and tap to remove.
A widget is basically an icon that does more than sit there and wait to be tapped to open up an app. You can have settings widgets, clock widgets, weather widgets, on my phone I have a data widget that tells me how much verizon data I've used this month and changes as my consumption changes.
I've found any brand, class 4 or above works well on most of my devices .
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

LeChuck

Jul 25, 2011
Noone stated it.. if you want to uninstall an application (only downloaded or installed by you, the stock ones can't be uninstalled) ... goto settings > applications > manage applications > select the one you want to uninstall > Uninstall application ...

Cheers!