New line of Coby tablets with 4.0 ICS

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Also, hopefully there wont be any kinks like the dell streak they went from 2.3 to Honeycomb and had lots of problems. thats why they were selling cheap. I think please correct me if im wrong for ICS the 1g processor is the minimum for it to work?

ICS is suppose to be scalable: it's a cross-over between Gingerbread and Honeycomb, so it should run well on any kinda of hardware. Probably you can enable or disable features when building it, so it will run on low end machines while still running the same apk made for any ICS machine (devs will have to take care of how to do this using the provided application frameworks, of course). That's what I understood from what I've read at least... We will have to see it running on different hardware to see if it's true.

JerryScript

Mar 12, 2011
ICS can be built for and run on an armv6 at 800mhz, so I'm sure it can run on our 2nd gen Coby's with a 1GHz processor.

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Yep, it seems that they won't use Samsung processors nor Telechips either... Too bad.

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
I think COBY is missing an opportunity. For myself what I like about the COBY is that it's for the most part pretty durable and capable. IMO the COBY has begun to cultivate a good reputation. It's not enough to keep the same hardware and upgrade the O/S to ICS. The hardware in the market has evolved too much for this. Heck you can buy PCs with 6-cores. In the PC world dual-cores in that segment are ancient. There's even a Chinese low-end tablet with ICS for $79.

Perhaps the existing single-cores should be reduced in price (to buy time) and the current price model used for a new dual-core tablet.

COBY needs to remain above the bottom of no-names but below or at the level of new entry levels like the A200 from Acer. Dual-cores IMO are the new bottom end in 2012 as quads are released.

For example:

- Why not automatic updating as found on other tablets? Perhaps not a major upgrade like ICS 4.x to 5.x, I mean, smaller revisions in ICS 4.x (ie: 4.0 to 4.1 to 4.2) to address bugs and add new drivers.

-The ability to (for example) add a hard drive, thumb-drives or PS3 controller would greatly enhance the usefulness & value of the tablet.

- The capability to use NTFS formatted cards/drives rather than FAT32 with the 4 GB limitation. Aside from backing up (say) a PS3 who really works with FAT32s anymore?

- Why not a low speed dual core over a 1 GHz single-core? Dual-core are just more efficient at games and multi-media applications where you do not want the sound of movie to freeze. As dual-cores are now heading into the lower-end as the quad-cores (technically 5-cores) come out I'm sure some the of the slower speed dual-cores can be had for a bargain. A 1-GHz single core was ok a year ago but not now. It's not going to take COBY into 2012/2013. Also in terms of battery life ICS is much better in terms of energy efficiency - as are dual-cores. Combined they could really improve run-times away form the AC plug which increases it's value.

- Fix the "home button" which is obviously where the first problems will arise. I suspect this is the case as Honeycomb 3.x uses 'soft' keys on the display.

- Have 2 markets pre-installed: GetJar and 1Market

- Make sure there is no "Move to SD". With my Acer it operates much more automatically - I never have to do that. This is a source of a-lot of user confusion & frustration

- Make sure Skype runs on it.

- Add Bluetooth

- well a few other items as well....

The 8GBs of memory (10" models), the dropping of "4G" from the name (which caused confusion), the 1 GB memory, ICS, and wireless "n" are all very positive developments.

EW

Last edited:

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
Realistically what I think coby should do is release the current line-up that we know about at the stated price point and then release a second tier of higher spec tablets with more bells and whistles for 30-40% more than the opening lineup.

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
The prices are:

Coby's new Android 4.0 assortment includes:
  • 7" MID7042 (16:9 aspect ratio, SRP $179)
  • 8" MID8042 (4:3 aspect ratio, SRP $229)
  • 9" MID9042 (16:10 aspect ratio, SRP $259)
  • 9.7" MID9742 (4:3 aspect ratio, SRP $279)
  • 10" MID1042 (16.9 aspect ratio, SRP $289)
  • 10" MID1045 (16:10 aspect ratio, SRP $299)
Now, you can get an Acer A200 (10") for SRP of $330 with all the features I listed above (like the A500 without the rear-facing camera). Actually, I got a Gateway A60 (16 GB Acer A500) for $289 new @ big box about 2 months ago. The $299 price is too high for the hardware you can buy later this year.

Also keep in mind the 1GHz processor is up against the Tegra 2 and Tegra 3. The first Tegra 3 (Kal-El, quad-core although has 5-cores) is only about 3 times faster then the current Tegra 2, but another one out later THIS year (Wayne) is 10 times faster. In 2013 the processors out (Logan) will be 50 times faster then the current Tegra 2, and in 2014 (Stark) 75 times faster.

So COBY really needs to step it up to compete. The 1Ghz processor won't cut it later this year much less next. Also COBY needs to address those weak points I listed as the other manufactures ALREADY have.

EW

Last edited:
May 3, 2011
In my opinion any Coby product has a very low production standard. You'll probably be better off buying a higher end China tablet for the same amount of money.

prog19

Dec 26, 2011
The xx24 line was the best line of Coby's Tablets. If 8024 has a multitouch screen it would be awesome.

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
In my opinion any Coby product has a very low production standard. You'll probably be better off buying a higher end China tablet for the same amount of money.

So... Your better off buying a 'higher end' tablet which has little or no manufacturer/community support and is of unknown quality?

No thanks, I'm happy with the build quality on my 7022, yes there are things about the design that could be improved (and they were in the 7127). Stop trolling and do something productive.

BOOSTED_TA

Jan 10, 2012

No I do not agree. I purchased a higher end tablet compared to my kryos 8127. It was the MOMO8 WITH 1.2ght A10 processor and 512 DDR3 ram. The tablet was 130.00 compared to 189.00 I paid for this on. The MOMO8 wired for one hour before the screen did nothing but display grey and white lines. I researched the Ployer MOMO8 before I purchased it and it had a great review for China tablets. I love my Kryos 8127. It may be a bit slower then the momo and the android market, and calander issues suck but this tablet is tough and most of all RELIABLE.

Sent from my MID8127 using Android Tablet Forum