New Microsoft Commercial Pokes Fun at Android & iOS Holy War to Hilarious Results

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011

Here in the forums we love to help keep you guys as informed as possible, but sometimes we also just like to share some of the great entertainment that is out there. A new commercial from Microsoft fits that category. Even though the big MS is struggling to stay relevant in the new mobile-centered computing world, they still can come up with some pretty funny commercials. In the above video, Microsoft pokes fun at the "holy war" that is constantly raging across the mobile landscape between iOS and Android.

The commercial tries to paint the new Lumia Windows 8 phones as "above the fray." While that premise is dubious at best, we can't help but agree that sometimes the war of words between the iOS and Android fanboys easily degrades into ridiculousness. The over-the-top nature of the video is a perfect caricature of the industry right now, and it is definitely worth a chuckle or two. Also, we have to give credit were it's due. Microsoft has done a good job on this commercial, and, according to the latest Kantar Worldpanel marketing results, Windows Phones have gained ground and are up 1.9% from 3.7% to 5.6% compared to last year.

Ironically, even though Microsoft's commercial is meant to poke fun at the other players in the industry, it also happens to mirror reality in a way that paints a sad picture of the actual state of things. In the commercial only two people have Windows Phones out of a huge group who have iOS or Android. I doubt that was what Microsoft's marketing team was intending to convey.

Last edited by a moderator:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I've seen that on the tube and have to say it's one of their better ads. But that's as far as I'll go. ;)

When I first saw it I had a hard time figuring out what the ad was for until the end. At first I thought they were pushing the Galaxy.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
It's funny, but what Microsoft's advertising agency unwittingly pointed-out is nobody's fighting over whether their device is better than the Microsoft device users' devices. Some might be inclined to take note of that and wonder why ;)

Jim