New Nexus 7 Experiencing Touch-Screen Issues & More; Google is Investigating

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011

That's the thing with being in the hardware business. Even when you have another manufacturer building your devices, you are still responsible if your name is on it. It looks like some folks who own the next generation Nexus 7 from Asus and Google are experiencing a number of different multi-touch issues with their new device. Here's a quote with some of the details,

Several owners of Google's new tablet say the screen doesn't respond properly when they perform certain multitouch actions, such as pinching to zoom in or touching the screen with two fingers to move an item. Commenters posting on Google Groups and the XDA Developers forum over the past couple of weeks report a few related issues.
In some cases, pinching the screen causes surrounding items to jump around. In other cases, several attempts must be made to move an object successfully using multitouch. Some users also say the on-screen keyboard is buggy, registering a single tap as a double tap.

Some owners say they traded in their bad models for new ones, with mixed results.
Apparently the new Nexus 7 is also beset with GPS issues as well. Google is working hard on a solution to both problems. Here's what they had to say, "The Android team is aware of this issue and investigating. I'll post an update when there's new information to share." Above is a video demonstrating the multitouch glitches.

Source: CNET

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 13, 2013
I have the new nexus 7 and I wasn't really aware of this issue, but I do think the touch screen is kind of weird. Maybe we'll get an OTA fix.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Today, they’re beginning to roll out a new update for the tablet. The update is Android build JSS15Q and is made specifically to fix the multitouch issues many people experienced. And though not everyone has received it, there are already reports that it does indeed fix the issue!
People had many theories about why these issues were present, but it was probably something as simple as a bad undervolt on the touchscreen controller. That’s why it worked better plugged in; it received the proper voltage. Have you received this update? Did it fix your issues?

loonamark

Jul 10, 2013
You get what you pay for?
I was seriously contemplating selling my Fire HD and getting this. I guess I wait till the revised iPad Mini is out to decide.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I figured Google would be on top of this. Played with one side by side with the original and all I can say is WOW! I do not need another tablet but at the price and power it is almost irresistible to me.