New PD Supernova Owner and a rant...

lvdave

Aug 25, 2012
I just bought a PanDigital Supernova 8" tablet. So far, happy with it, just rooted it today, and am cleaning off the bloatware. Appears to be a well made tablet. Really like the dual cameras and the fact it has bluetooth, which the other two tablets I've had did not. The first one was ok, ran ICS, which I found I didn't really care for, since my phone is Gingerbread, and thats what I'm used to.. Unfortuantly, that one got stolen. Later I bought a Wondermedia WM8850, also with ICS. I returned that one to the seller as it was constantly locking up and rebooting.. I'd heard some good reports about the Pandigitals, so I sprung for one.. Part of the reason I went for it, is due to it being Gingerbread also. I really didn't care for the UI changes in ICS. Now to my rant.. After rooting the tablet and getting the horrible "getjar" wanna-be app marketplace off the tablet, and getting google play on, I proceed to install the apps I need on the tablet. Alls good till I try to install dropbox... google play abruptly tells me its not compatible with the tablet.. GRRRRR THAT is the MOST needed app on the tablet.. Without dropbox, I might just as well unroot the damn tablet, restore to original, and send back to the vendor.. WHY doesn't Google give you some kind of an idea WHY the app is "uncompatible"?? My phone, an LG Optiumus with Gingerbread, and a ARM6 processor runs dropbox fine.. Anybody know a workaround to get dropbox working?? ie: perhaps an alternate .apk download source???

Thanks
Dave

HerronScott

May 27, 2012
Dave,

Check out this thread

Installing Google Play - SlateDroid.com

Specifically the parts on using LCD Density Modder Pro to change the reported DPI to Google Play. That will open up a lot more apps on Play for your Supernova. I just checked and Dropbox is showing as available on my Supernova with the compatibility fix. Note that I did not change my real DPI from the default 180.

Your other choice would be to install Amazon Appstore or 1Mobile Market as both list it as well.

Scott

lvdave

Aug 25, 2012
Dave,

Check out this thread

Installing Google Play - SlateDroid.com

Specifically the parts on using LCD Density Modder Pro to change the reported DPI to Google Play. That will open up a lot more apps on Play for your Supernova. I just checked and Dropbox is showing as available on my Supernova with the compatibility fix. Note that I did not change my real DPI from the default 180.

Your other choice would be to install Amazon Appstore or 1Mobile Market as both list it as well.

Scott

Thanks!!
Will check that out!!

:eek::eek:

lvdave

Aug 25, 2012
Didn't really wanna mess with LCD density, so tried Amazon Appstore first, since I already had it on the tablet.. Tried installing dropbox from there, and even though the app is free AND I have a credit card registered with Amazon on the Amazon account I use with the appstore, it kept *****ing that I needed to register a credit card.. Gave up there, and tried 1MobileMarket.. Was 100% successful there.. Noticed the same problem with Skype that I had with Dropbox.. so I googled and found a Skype .apk for the current version and it works fine.. Thanks for the assistance!!!

HerronScott

May 27, 2012
The nice thing about LCD Density Modder is that you don't have to change the LCD density. For the market compatibility fix, you just tell it what LCD density you want it to report back to Play which changes dramatically what is now magically compatible with your tablet. I left my LCD density at the default 180dpi but have it telling Play that my density is 240dpi.

Scott

lvdave

Aug 25, 2012
Wow! I must have missed the part about faking out google.play.. I bought the pro version and google.play works fine.. Thanks for clearing that up for me...