New Root/Full Working Play Store/Google Apps/Root-Explorer

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Updated 29.01.13

Works on all Onda Tablets including new Quad-Core tablets, for VI40 Ultimate 4.1.1 go to bottom of guide.

New instructions PLEASE read carefully, if you are unsure just post what files you have in the firmware package, which tablet and which firmware it is currently running.

Please note most Onda Tablets come Pre-Rooted, download the file below, it contains Superuser and Root Explorer. Once done open the zip file and put them both on your SDcard and install Superuser first then Root Explorer, if successful you can delete the chinese apps using Root Explorer.

To install the PlayStore - First copy Phonesky.apk to your SDcard then using root explorer go to sdcard/external_sdcard and press and hold Phonesky.apk until menu shows and select copy, go back to system/app and paste it there, now press and hold Phonesky.apk for menu and select permissions, change them to RW-R-R, now press Phonesky.apk to install once done reboot.

Superuser-RootExplorer-PlayStore- http://www.mediafire.com/?54fh5liiz1kb9i7

FIRMWARE SECTION

If you don't have your Firmware file then download yours from here - http://www.onda.cn/Support/Search.aspx

Open the Firmware zip file you have then follow the step which relates to the Firmware zip file's contents.

If it contains a USB program and a Resource.zip follow STEP 1

If it contains a USB program and a .IMG file follow STEP 2

If it contains Update.zip/Patch.zip etc follow STEP 3

STEP 1

The USB program needs to be run with administrators privileges on Windows xp/7 32bit, copy the USB folder to your desktop then copy the Resource zip file in to the USB folder and run the USB program, you can change the language in the top left of main window, now select CONFIG tab and choose Import Update and point it to the resource zip file, then click START, once done follow root section.

STEP 2

Download this file - SU-RootKeeper.zip

You need to be on ICS firmware as this is pre-rooted then open the SU-Rootkeeper zip file and copy the SuperSU and OTA-Root_keeper apk' to your SDcard, then make sure the WiFi is set up and using the tablets "File manager" go to the external SDcard and install SuperSU.apk and update if it asks to do so, now install OTA-Root_keeper.apk.

Run Root-Keeper and make sure the boxes are ticked to say you have Root, then select to "BACK-UP ROOT" once done select "TEMP UN-ROOT" then exit Root-Keeper. You can now update to Jellybean using either the USB flash program or OTA and once done run Root-Keeper again and select "RESTORE ROOT".

Now download this file http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bbuqt6rwxou7cw2

Open the zip file and copy Root Explorer to your SDcard and using the tablets File manager go to external SDcard and install it, now you can uninstall all the chinese apps using Root Explorer.

STEP 3

copy the following files to your SDcard -

update.zip - patch.zip - aml_autoscript - factory_update_param.aml - uboot.bin - uImage_recovery

Once done shut down tablet and boot to recovery* The white android will show for about 30 seconds and go off, it will then reappear and then the green android will show and the firmware installation will commence, once complete the tablet will restart in chinese, shut down and follow the Root Section.

ROOT SECTION

Please make sure you have removed ALL files used during firmware install from sdcard, other files (music/pics etc) are ok.

Installs Superuser, Root Explorer, New Google Play Store, Maps etc and deletes chinese apps.

Download the following file -

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bbuqt6rwxou7cw2

Now open Root_Gapps_complete.zip and copy root.zip and factory_update_param.aml to your sdcard, once done shut down tablet and boot to recovery* the white android will show then the green android, once done the tablet will restart in chinese, go to the settings and change to your language and time zone then go to your apps and you will now see Superuser, Root-Explorer and Chrome etc.. if any chinese apps are left, delete them using Root Explorer.

*RECOVERY
Depending on tablet, Hold HOME-KEY for 4 seconds then still holding home-key, hold POWER-KEY until the white android shows then release BOTH keys. Not all tablets are the same some use the volume/back key instead of home key.

PLAYSTORE PROBLEMS

If your having any problems with apps not showing/incompatible follow mcduck$ post in the guide below, all thanks go to their members.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1398310

VI40 ULTIMATE 4.1.1

This is for firmware 4.1.1 Jellybean only as 4.0.3 is pre-rooted.

Download this file - Root-Restore.7z

Extract files to desktop then connect tablet to pc, make sure USB debugging and non-market apps are checked in tablets settings then double click RunMe.bat and follow instructions, if you get stuck there is a video guide below.

Last edited by a moderator:

gargamel

Dec 3, 2012
Hi, i used your previously guide to update my v701 to ICS 1.5.5. and root. Then i shut off and nothing do neither install any aplication (its for a present) Can i use this new guide "as is" to update to JB and then root? or i must unroot first? Thx for your help

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Hi, i used your previously guide to update my v701 to ICS 1.5.5. and root. Then i shut off and nothing do neither install any aplication (its for a present) Can i use this new guide "as is" to update to JB and then root? or i must unroot first? Thx for your help

Hi, just download the JB firmware and follow guide, no need to un-root.

zali

Dec 10, 2012
A new fully working root package. This WILL install Superuser, Root Explorer, a COMPLETE working Google Play-Store, Chrome, Maps, Working Voice Search and more.
No more missing apps in the store, completely safe to update all Google apps through store. Your tablet at it's BEST.

This works on all Onda Tablets/Firmware and it is to be used once you have installed the latest firmware for your tablet from Onda, if you have just got your tablet and it has the latest firmware already installed (complete with chinese apps) then just use Root Section.

FIRMWARE SECTION

Download your firmware here - ONDA Onda Electronics

Open your firmware package and copy the following files to your sdcard -

update.zip - patch.zip - factory_update_param.aml - uImage_recovery - u-boot - aml_autoscript (certain tablets)

Once done shut down tablet and boot to recovery* The white android will show for about 30 seconds and go off, it will then reappear and then the green android will show and the firmware installation will commence, once complete the tablet will restart in chinese, shut down and follow the Root Section.

ROOT SECTION

Please make sure you have removed ALL files used during firmware install from sdcard, other files (music/pics etc) are ok, then download the Root Package below -

Root_Gapps_complete.zip

Now open Root_Gapps_complete.zip and copy root.zip and factory_update_param.aml to your sdcard, one done shut down tablet and boot to recovery* the white android will show then the green android, once done the tablet will restart in chinese, go to the settings and change to your language and time zone then go to your apps and you will now see Superuser, Root-Explorer and Chrome etc.. ALL working 100%. Now enjoy your tablet as it should be.

*Recovery - Depending on tablet, Hold HOME-KEY for 4 seconds then still holding home-key, hold POWER-KEY until the white android shows then release BOTH keys. Not all tablets are the same some use the volume/back key instead of home key.

I have just bought today a new v712 the version is V2 and it has Android verion 4.0.3 and Baseband version 1.41 showing in about tablet option. So please guide what should i do to udate my v712 and get rid of chines application.

thanks in advance.

Late

Dec 10, 2012
Hi, just download the JB firmware and follow guide, no need to un-root.

Hi iiDiabolusZz!

Thanks for your great helping guides. I was able to update from 1.4 to 1.5.5 with your other threat and now with this guide I'm proud new V801 JB owner :D

I'm not sure if it is possible to upgrade straight from 1.4 version to 2.0 or should you first update to 1.5.5? I had older 2.0 firmware, so it could be reason why it didn't work.

When V801 arrived I was shocked (my first Android...). No youtube, gmail, Gapps etc. Spending a couple of days reading forums I found your thread and now I'm more than happy to own Onda.

If someone is confused like me where to find Language & input (china is like greek to me ;)). It's icon is some kind of cloud, no A-letter anymore.

Best regards,
Late

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Hi iiDiabolusZz!

Thanks for your great helping guides. I was able to update from 1.4 to 1.5.5 with your other threat and now with this guide I'm proud new V801 JB owner :D

I'm not sure if it is possible to upgrade straight from 1.4 version to 2.0 or should you first update to 1.5.5? I had older 2.0 firmware, so it could be reason why it didn't work.

When V801 arrived I was shocked (my first Android...). No youtube, gmail, Gapps etc. Spending a couple of days reading forums I found your thread and now I'm more than happy to own Onda.

If someone is confused like me where to find Language & input (china is like greek to me ;)). It's icon is some kind of cloud, no A-letter anymore.

Best regards,
Late

Thanks and its fine to upgrade from any firmware to the latest.

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012

gargamel

Dec 3, 2012
Hi. I just try upload my v701 with this method and fail... I have downloaded the firmware V701D_v2.0-SD and inside are all the files you say in your guide except - uImage- . This file isn´t in this firmware. I shut down the tablet, then i go to recovery, the white android appears, but in only 10 sec. appears the green android 1 second and go into recovery with this error message...
E:Bad bootloader arguments
"(null)"
E:unknown volume for path [/udisk/factory_update_param.aml]
E:Can´t mount /udisk/factory_update_param.aml

What can i do? I did something wrong?
Remember that my tablet was upgrade to ICS 1.5.5 whith your last guide.
Thanks for your help.

vortgrenade4

Nov 14, 2012
I can't find these on my firmware package: factory_update_param.aml -uImage - u-boot - aml_autoscript

The only ones I have on my firmware package are update.zip , patch.zip ,
usb_spl.bin, uImage_recovery, u-boot-orig.bin, and config_progress.xml

What do I do now?

And putting the patch.zip will put the chinese apps right? is it better that way than just not to include them?

Last edited:

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Hi. I just try upload my v701 with this method and fail... I have downloaded the firmware V701D_v2.0-SD and inside are all the files you say in your guide except - uImage- . This file isn´t in this firmware. I shut down the tablet, then i go to recovery, the white android appears, but in only 10 sec. appears the green android 1 second and go into recovery with this error message...
E:Bad bootloader arguments
"(null)"
E:unknown volume for path [/udisk/factory_update_param.aml]
E:Can´t mount /udisk/factory_update_param.aml

What can i do? I did something wrong?
Remember that my tablet was upgrade to ICS 1.5.5 whith your last guide.
Thanks for your help.

We dont get uImage in v701 package,make sure all files are on sdcard and no old firmware/root files left on, i done my v701 from 4.0.3 1.5.5 to 4.1.1 2.0 without problem

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
I can't find these on my firmware package: factory_update_param.aml -uImage - u-boot - aml_autoscript

The only ones I have on my firmware package are update.zip , patch.zip ,
usb_spl.bin, uImage_recovery, u-boot-orig.bin, and config_progress.xml

What do I do now?

And putting the patch.zip will put the chinese apps right? is it better that way than just not to include them?

Just updated the thread, you need the patch folder as it contains updated audio codecs and all the framework and permissions for google.

cantastorie

Dec 11, 2012
Here with an Onda V971 rooted device was succesful!!! :cool:

FW 2.0 1101 because 1129 crash on SD managing (I hope Onda fix it).

Thanks a lot.

Cantastorie.

Last edited: