New S1 owner (New to Android)

joebit

Jun 11, 2012
Hi all,
I'm new to Android and am a little confussed as to how to restore a system from a previous tablet install. I went out and purchased a chead Aldi tablet 1 week ago and sadly was very disappointed with its performance. Very slow and froze to often for me. I returned it to Aldi and went in search for a replacement. I've ended up with a Sony S1 32gb. To date I've been using apple ios and was hopeing it would be the same sort of process to restore a device. Much to my surprise vI cant find any good info on how to restore all me installation from the Aldi Tablet to my new Sony. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I get that all my apps are stored in my Google account but getting all the apps back to the device is confusing me. I've been able to download each app one at a time from the my apps screen in Google. Not sure how to download them all at one. Also not sure how to restore all the email settings and table passcodes etc. Both tablets are running ics 4.3.
regards
Joe

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum Joe

You would do well to continue down the road of installing the apps the way you have been doing it. Through much experimentation I have found that restoring quite a few apps all at once can gum up the tablet. In fact, after every 5 or 10 restart it.

As for the mail settings, I'm afraid there aren't many E-Mail apps that will allow you to export and/or import the settings. In fact Kaiten is the only mail client I have found that CAN do that so you may need to enter the info manually.

Wish I had better news for you.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum Joe.

I moved your thread over to the Sony Tablet S forum so other Sony users can find it easier to help you out.

I too am an iOS/Android junkie. The quick answer - no, there is nothing like iTunes for backing up and restoring apps. However, there are apps in the market that will allow you to back up apps. Also, during the setup of most Android devices you can set up your google account and it will automatically download any apps you have previously purchased.

The most commonly used backup app used is Titanium Backup, but it will require rooting (similar to Jailbreaing an iOS device). I would not recommend rooting your device just yet, but I will recommend checking out the app MyBackup. It does not require rooting and is free to try for 30 days. It will back up your device. If you still have your old tablet, you could install it on both, back up the old one, restore on the new one.

Finally, to get comfortable with Android, here are some good links to check out:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Joe congratulations on the new tablet and welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets.

joebit

Jun 11, 2012
Thanks all,
Will investigate a few of those apps. Looks like i've got a bit of a learning curve ahead of me.
regards
Joe