New System Update (1.141.04 ) won't install

zanetti2000

Apr 30, 2011
Acer A500
Update downloads o.k.
All 39 meg of it.
But it repeatedly fails to complete install.

• The install starts unzipping (when started from settings | system update)
  • followed by a power-off
  • after cycling up error msg. "update failed"
After manual power off.

• The install starts unzipping (when started from settings | system update)
  • followed by a power-off
  • Tablet goes into hard stop with warning icon
  • manual power cycle recovered (back to original version)
My tablet is rooted.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
My update is downloading right now...installing now...my tab is not rooted.

edit: Mine seems to have installed...but it seems frozen on the boot up....'android' is on the screen and it is taking way longer than the typical 20 seconds to get booted....

edit 2: I cycled the power...and this time it booted normally...and said update successful. I now have build number :Acer_A500_1.141.07_COM_GEN1 .

Last edited:

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
Ok, so I too am rooted and the update wouldn't work for me. I went into Gingerbreak and unrooted, rebooted, redownloaded the update and installed it. It rebooted my A500 and showed that it was installing the update (showed a box with an arrow coming out of it). After a minute it went to the android with a triangle with an exclamation point in it and then rebooted after a while. It came up with a message that said Update Failed...(no s#*t Sherlock). So, that being said, anyone have any exciting ideas for how to get the update to work on a rooted device?

Thanks much from all us "hackers" out there.

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
ugh...I have this sinking feeling that if you're rooted, you'll have to restore factory settings...lame. I get update failed on my rooted device, and before I even downloaded the update the first time, I un-rooted in gingerbreak. That process seems to have worked because Titanium backup says it can't acquire root privileges. I tried to update twice and it failed both times. I may just buck up and take one for the team and see if a factory restore works. Might not be a bad idea anyway since now I pretty much know what I want on here and it'll clean up the remnants of all my app installing and uninstalling.

goten611

May 26, 2011
i just updated my tablet that was rooted. as stated previously, you have to unroot first in order for the system to update. then i redownloaded update and installed with no problem. after update, rerooted, and no problem. don't know if this affected it, but i had my tablet locked in portrait mode the entire time beginning with the unrooting process. hope this helps

danielg5

May 3, 2011
I saw the update notification this morning. My tab is rooted, and the update worked fine, but after the update, I had to re-root it. Just ran the Gingerbreak, and it is updated and rooted, working great! I did a couple of things before running the update. You might want to consider this:

I unfroze all applications in Bloat Freezer.
I had replaced the "wpa_supplicant" file with the one that enables ad hoc (from xdadevlopers at Android Ad-hoc support hack/wpa_supplicant - xda-developers), so I put the old file back in the /system/bin directory before I ran the update.

After I had done those two things, I ran the update, and it worked fine. Took about 10 minutes, rebooted automatically. Then I re-ran Gingerbreak, and I am back up and running and rooted.

I am not sure what the update does. It is still Android 3.01. Does anyone know what the update actually does?

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
Goten...that's interesting. I tried unrooting again and applying the update and it still didn't work. I did it locked in portrait mode and did the Titanium Backup test (said I didn't have root) so I'm at a loss. Anyone have any other ideas?

pago85

May 26, 2011
I was told the system software was under development yet.
This is why we have a problem with GPS signal catching.
Routing is fine, but if you do not tweak the tab again and again...
You had a better to wait all of bugs out for the system.

Mystikalrush

May 19, 2011
Well my update went completely fine, hopfully some bugs I have noticed are gone. At least my tab no longer says its 501 and 3g model.

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
If you rooted chances are that you renamed/uninstalled some of the bloatware apps. Acer Iconia WILL NOT update if you do not revert to stock apps, i.e., put them back the way they were! This has nothing at all to do with root - in fact I updated my rooted Iconia this morning - root was broken but it rerooted just fine with Gingerbreak. Many of us on XDA have done the same thing.

Just remember - Acer updates look for all the "bloatware" - if they don't find them you are SOL

robdroid

May 4, 2011
If you removed any "system" apps- update will fail- Acer considers trial games, etc system files.
You must replace the original apps (even bloatware/games, etc) with the same version your tab came with because the firmware update checks for the files existence and it calculates it's checksum.
If either check fails the update craps out.
Look at /cache/recovery/last_log and see exactly what made your update fail.

PS- root has nothing to do with failed updates.

rbloch

May 26, 2011
I was just able to update my tablet after a few tried.

Before the update, I had rooted my tablet and installed a new Email.apk file that included Exchange ActiveSync.

Root was NOT the problem.

As soon as I replaced the stock email.apk file, all was good and it updated.

I now use TouchDown for Exchange, so I don't need a hacked email app.