New Tab...Windows?

sabotank

Nov 15, 2011
So the Vizio commercial during the rose bowl appeared to show a windows tablet...

thoughts?

edit: @ :07 and :31

Last edited by a moderator:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Good spot. Yes indeed though the two tablets at the beginning of the video do not appear to be Windows tablets. They don't have the standard Windows screen ratio. They also look different than the Windows tablet shown later, with no Windows button and a chrome bezel that looks different than the silver bezel later.

Not sure what any of that means. They could simply be using placeholders. Vizio has definitely seen an opportunity in becoming a PC maker since many long time PC makers have dropped the ball and it fits with their quality at low prices model used to establish the company with TVs. The Android tablet world seems to be much more difficult to do this in with Google and Amazon offering such low priced tablets already. I guess we will have to wait and see but I suspect they have more opportunity with Windows devices at this time.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yay Vizio, stock Android! Thank you Matt McRae!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Actually a Windows tablet, like the Surface Pro, maybe a little cheaper, a little lighter and a battery life roughly double what is expected right now, with its digitizer layer and dual personality would definately tempt me. Actually the price would probably even be ok with the other improvements.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
A 10" Android tablet from Vizio would be very interesting. A Windows tablet: Not at all. At least to me.

Jim

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I don't know if the 7-incher will compete with the Nexus 7. The N7, along with the Kindle Fire HD, seem hard to beat. But, in my view, the Nexus 10 won't be all that hard to beat. The N10's just not that attractive, in my view. I must not be alone in that, because, of all the top-5 and top-10 lists I found, not a one of them listed the Nexus 10.

Things I need to know about Vizio's new 10" tablet before I'm going to get all excited: Are they actually going to produce it, this time? What will the run-time be like? Will it have a microSD card slot? Run-time and lack of a microSD card slot are two of the N10's biggest failings, in my view. What will the speaker setup be? The Asus TF300 is a great tablet, but suffers from a single, poorly-placed speaker. The Vizio's display will have great resolution, but what about brightness? My VTAB1008 has been a nice tablet, but it's unreadable in bright sunlight. Note to Vizio: I would trade resolution and display performance for brightness and run-time any day.

What will it cost? Will Costco be carrying them again?

I'm really pleased to hear Vizio will package with essentially vanilla Android. I've got a Samsung Tab 2 10.1 sitting in its box, right now, set to be returned to the store any day now, because Samsung insists on trying to "enhance" its Android versions, and they mainly seem to screw them up.

I'd really like to think I could send that Samsung tablet back, stick with my VTAB1008, and wait for Vizio's 10" offering. But I did that last year, and, well... I'm still waiting.

Lastly: Again: If it's a Windows tablet I won't even consider it.

Jim

Last edited:

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
This is great news. I have really enjoyed the VTAB but would like to get more power. Hope it gets here soon. Go VIZIO!