New Tablet - WIFI?

RLL

May 31, 2012
I am told that I need to change my settings on my router to "display SSID" - I do not know exactly WHERE to change that setting.

It seems that my tablet displays "unable to scan for networks" when I touch "Add WIFI Network" or attempt to "Turn on WIFI"

I do not see a list of SSID within range no matter what I have tried so far. I am eager to use the tablet and I am optimistic, but I need some help.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi RLL,

Before doing anything else, I'd suggest you reset the router by turning it and your tablet completely off. Unplug the router if there's no switch on it. Wait 30 seconds and turn on the router. After another 30 seconds turn on the tablet.

If that doesn't work, take your tablet somewhere that offers free WiFi (A neighbor, relative, McDonalds?) and see if you can connect to any WiFi. If you're still getting that message as soon as you turn on the WiFi, the tablet may be defective and should probably be returned. If you can connect, continue trying to connect at home.

There should be a program on your PC that you can run in order to access your router and change the settings. The name of that program will depend on the brand of router you're using, on my PC it's called "Cisco Connect".

If your PC is connected to the router via an ethernet cable, make sure the wireless feature of your router is turned on.

The setting for whether or not you display your SSID would be in the security section of the settings, probably where you specify the type of security you want to enable. (WPA/WPA2/WEP). It's probably a box you check. Other things you can try if that doesn't work are: change your channel to a channel number less than 11, set the security to WEP.

Good luck,
Spider