New to android, questions

esc

Aug 10, 2013
Hi everyone. Am a computer user for over 20 years (Mac) but new to Android as I just bought an Android tablet for web and PDF reading on the couch at night as the iPod is too small. Am used to iPhone/iPod and find the new tablet works much the same, so no problems there.

I am using Wi-Fi from my router, and want to keep my system (and connected computer) safe.

Have downloaded several apps from Google Play and notice they ask for permisssions, some of which look cautionary (contacts, network-does it access private router/network / info??) as opposed to the Apple store which do not request permission. I figure since people are downloading from there, then these must be standard requests...maybe the apple apps are doing that too but just not asking me since apple has their approval process before they accept it to their store. Are these OK and anything I should decline?

What is the "pure Android experience" I've seen mentioned?

On the Apple devices there is a nice feature where when you browse the internet and have reached the bottom of the page and want to get quickly to the top, you just touch the top of the window and it brings you there. Is there a way to do that on Android?

Should I have virus / malware protection installed, and what one is good?

Why does the tablet say Adobe Flash cannot be used/installed? I thought at was one of the reasons to not have a iPad!

Thank you!

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum
Apple devices don't ask permission but they use the same permissions for the most part as Android. Apple's closed system just doesn't see fit to inform you.

Malware protection is probably a wise thing to consider. AVG and Avast are popular.

Flash Player doesn't come on most tablets by default but if you'll check the link below it will take you to a page with instruictions on how to install it.

esc

Aug 10, 2013
Welcome to the forum
Apple devices don't ask permission but they use the same permissions for the most part as Android. Apple's closed system just doesn't see fit to inform you.

I figured as much, but wanted to be sure.

Malware protection is probably a wise thing to consider. AVG and Avast are popular.

Flash Player doesn't come on most tablets by default but if you'll check the link below it will take you to a page with instruictions on how to install it.

Thank you. I didn't realize that about Flash but am learning a lot in this week about Android. Is installing Flash [requiring] rooting the device?

On the topic of security, are apps safe that are on Google Play and it's the ones out in the wild to be concerned with? I just saw a post here about malicious apps...

Another question if you could be so kind...

One app said it was incompatible with the device. When this happens, does this have to do with the version of Jelly Bean, or the firmware, etc? The app specs said it requires Android 2.3 and mine is 4.2.1. Not a big deal, but I just wanted to understand what this is all about, if Android requires certain things, or it's something required within the hardware itself that is lacking? Thank you!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Flash Player doesn't require root but you need to tell your tablet under security to allow apps from 3rd parties.

Apps from the Google Store are generally considered as safe though a few nasty items have bypassed Google's scrutiny in the past.

Compatibility is determined by your hardware, (including but not limited to if you have a phone or tablet), your location (country) the developer, your Android version and Google.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
are apps safe that are on Google Play and it's the ones out in the wild to be concerned with? I just saw a post here about malicious apps...

I'm using

Lookout on mine with no apparent performance issues. Another popular one is AVG Antivirus Free. If you get them here you should be safe:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd
Amazon.com: Lookout Security & Antivirus: Appstore for Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ult#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5hbnRpdmlydXMiXQ
Amazon.com: AVG Antivirus Security - FREE: Appstore for Android