New to gTablet: which rom should I use?

cheerful

Feb 19, 2011
Just ordered gTablet on woot.

There are a couple of sticky post at the top. Which one should I follow?

Also, which rom should I use? Or should I wait till Honeycomb arrives?

Thanks!

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
Does the community believe there will be a Honeycomb ROM for this unit eventually. I have taken the plunge... have been on the side of the pool for a powerful sub $300 android TAB... hope this is it...

cheerful

Feb 19, 2011

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Should take you no more than 30 minutes after you download the necessary files. And read about root? My HowTo tells you how to do it. What do to mean?

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Normal woot is 1-2 weeks. I't didn't sell out so I think 1 week is more like it.

cheerful

Feb 19, 2011
Should take you no more than 30 minutes after you download the necessary files. And read about root? My HowTo tells you how to do it. What do to mean?

Your said "you have a few days to read the directions and fully understand them before you root. This is extreamly important." Your instruction did not mention root -- excuse me lacking of understanding on Android.

thanks!

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Rooting gives yourself "Superuser" access. By installing CWR you are doing just that. Then with this access you can install custom ROMs.

3PO

Mar 25, 2011
I got the woot deal on the G tablet too. $285 shipped was too good to pass up for a "new" G Tablet. I'm thinking this forum looks like a great resource once that thing arrives. I'm hoping it's here before the end of the month...

3PO

Mar 25, 2011
@Fuganater - So, which device do you like better now that you've got both devices rooted and geeked out? The nook color or the G Tablet?

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
@Fuganater - So, which device do you like better now that you've got both devices rooted and geeked out? The nook color or the G Tablet?

That is THE question! I love how light and peite the NC is. The screen is amazing and almost every app works on it. It turly is the best tablet out there for the every day user.

BUT! The G-Tablet is amazing when it comes to power and storage. This is a tab for the user who wants to try out new things. I have tried out 6 different ROMs now and I have downloaded 3 more last night. I love to tinker with things and that makes the G-Tablet great for me. There is NO TABLET out there that can match the price and quality hardware that is in the G-Tablet. Ya the Xoom has GPS and 3G and 512MB more RAM... BUT it is $300 MORE! Thats insane!

3PO

Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, I still use my Moto Droid and I've got it overclocked and I put a new ROM on it about every week or so. Being able to root and overclock and tinker is what made the G-Tablet enticing, it seemed like the Moto Droid of tablets :). I hope I get mine soon.. got a tracking number on Friday afternoon, but according to FedEx it's not in their database yet. :( Maybe by Friday.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
Same Question here? I was very close to pulling the string at woot. I started with the Coby 7015 on black friday at kmart, bought the nook color 80 days later, returned the Coby one week later, just before the 90 day return deadline. Wife and finances would not let me keep both although I would have liked to.

Having been looking at G Tablet and Nook Color since I bought the Coby. Nook Color got me because I got the free $50 cover and $25 gift card at Best Buy. If the G Tablet woot offer was earlier it would have been it.

Again would liked to have both G Tab and Nook Color, but finances do not allow.