New to Tablets

Fairhope

Aug 8, 2012
Hello everyone,
I just bought an Asus TF300T Transformer Eee Pad, 10.1", tablet with Android 4.0. I am now considered an "older" person (grandmother), and just don't want to be one of those people who don't know much about tablets (like my mother is about computers--she doesn't have one)! I have no idea how to best use this tablet or the android system. So glad to have found this forum, as maybe someone can instruct me, or I may just take this back to Best Buy!
Being more familiar with Windows, am finding myself disappointed in tablets. Can someone help me figure it out? Asus did not have a user manual other than a little brochure thing that described items in box, and how to charge.
Thanks for any advice.

Fairhope

Aug 8, 2012
Beginning to think there are no helpers out in Forum land. Please? I've posted questions.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Fairhope, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets. To get started, I'd suggest you click this link to the Android Tablet Q&A section. Read the "Sticky:" threads at the beginning for some good general information about tablets and Android. Also, I'm moving your thread to the Asus TF300 Forum for you. More people familiar with your tablet are likely to join the discussion there and try to help you out. Enjoy your new tablet and the forum!

Fairhope

Aug 8, 2012
Thank you. I went to the Android Q&A section, but guess I just don't know what to look for, as it didn't help me. I posted questions under the ASUS TF300 forum, but have no replies. Guess I'm just too impatient. I want to figure this thing out or take it back.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Guess I'm just too impatient.

It sometimes takes hours or even a day or two to get a reply, it's kind of like email. You have to wait until someone who can answer your question logs onto the forum and sees it. Although we have over 135,000 members, right now only 167 members are logged on. (There are also 5,563 visitors right now, but they can only view the forum. So if you see lots of people viewing your questions and nobody is replying, it doesn't mean they're ignoring you. They can't reply.) While you're waiting, you can start learning more about your own particular tablet by reading through the threads already posted here in this sub-forum pertaining to things you're interested in knowing more about. If you have any questions regarding a discussion, reply to the thread and ask them. If something you're interested in isn't being discussed, start a new thread with a meaningful title and begin a new discussion. There are a lot of friendly, knowledgeable people in this sub-forum and I'm sure they'll help you as much as they can.

nabwong

Apr 18, 2011
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/TF300T/TF300T_MANUAL_en_20120423.pdf

This is the complete manual. 90 pages. Knock yourself out. :)

MacRae

Aug 7, 2012
Fairhope, I'm only about a week ahead of you on ownership of the TF300T, so if you keep yours I'll be glad to share things as I learn them. For example, I now monitor three e-mail addresses, and yesterday I learned how to tether the tab to my phone so I have signal as long as my phone does. :)

May 5, 2011
I am an older user as well, welcome! I would recommend that you go the the Google Play store and download the Tablet Market App for free, or the Pro version is a dollar or something. This will highlight apps that are specifically optimized for tablets versus phones. I generally check the what's new feature and there are groups of app types as well that identify potential applications that might be of interest to you.

If you find something you like, just touching from the app displayed will take you to the store with the apps description.

Best of luck!

rustycase

Aug 2, 2012
Welcome aboard, FH !

Yup, lot's of questions... :)
I'm still learning, also.

Best I have found so far is to read all the threads you find of interest and hope to pick up things here and there.
An awful lot of information in the threads!
Some will sink in, then lead to more questions as you learn.

Good luck
rc

exbrooklyn

Aug 22, 2012
Fairhope, I'm only about a week ahead of you on ownership of the TF300T, so if you keep yours I'll be glad to share things as I learn them. For example, I now monitor three e-mail addresses, and yesterday I learned how to tether the tab to my phone so I have signal as long as my phone does. :)

Can you tell me where you found the tethering instructions? I downloaded an older app on my Android phone a year or so ago but the thing doesn't work very well. Waste of money. Any help is appreciated!

MacRae

Aug 7, 2012
Sorry for the delay. I can't remember where I found the instructions I followed (there are a ton of links out there, though), but for my HTC Thunderbolt phone I downloaded FoxFi, and for the Asus FT300 tab I downloaded PDANet Tablet. My phone won't let me generate a wifi hotspot, but the bluetooth tethering works perfectly. Check it out!

Fairhope

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks for the manual! It will help me a lot.

Hi, have you learned how to share photos taken with the tf300? I took some today at a meeting, and people want me to send it to Facebook, but I don't know how to do it or email it.
Thanks!
Gayle