New to the forum- just got an A100 and A200

turbocoop

Oct 9, 2012
I spend most of my time on automotive forums, but since I am the proud new owner of an Acer A100 and A200 I figured I could learn a lot here so I joined.

The A200 was a gift from my girlfriend, got a refurbished one from Walmart for $199 (plus the 2 yr protection plan for $25, was that a good idea?). It hasnt arrived yet, should be here tomorrow or the next day. I also bought a broken A100 on craigslist for $30- the LCD is cracked but the digitizer looks OK, brand new in the box with original packaging and everything. Im about to order the LCD screen on Ebay for $60 from a seller here in the US. Has anyone had any experience replacing one? Any tips from someone who has torn one apart? I couldnt find a good DIY on it anywhere...

The A200 will be used for web surfing with WiFi only, and to watch movies and stuff occasionally... Im going to Afghanistan in January and it will be easier to haul around than a laptop. Was this model a good choice for what I will be using it for?

I have big plans for the A100, Im gonna be integrating it into my car's dash and using it as a GPS, media player, possibly backup cam if I can figure out how to do that.... More info will come as I get into it, but first of all I have to get the screen working. One weird thing with it- the LCD only powers up when its plugged in, if I leave it sitting on the charger for a while then unplug it, it wont stay on. Could the battery be bad too? I guess I need to get the screen working then I can troubleshoot it more.

I havent started to research ICS and what all it can do yet, so I hope to learn a lot from the experts on this forum. Thanks Guys

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi turbocoop, congratulations on your new Acer tablets and welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. There have been several threads regarding replacing broken screens here on the forum. I don't recall if any were Acer tablets, but if you do a forum search for "broken screen", I'm sure you'll get lots of hits to look through. Use the search box in the upper right corner of any forum page. It's right below "Settings". The A200 should work for your trip to Afghanistan in January. I guess some people will do anything to escape the Winter weather.:rolleyes: I'm going to be interested in following your adventures with the A100, and I think you're right about getting the screen fixed before you can determine what else might be wrong with it. Enjoy your new tablets and the forum.