new to the forum....sorry if posted in the wrong spot

JE Garrison

May 12, 2011
I have tried and tried to root my nook with no success is there a way that someone could like link into my computer like dell does to fix my computer and help root my nookcolor

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi JE welcome to the board. I am sure it is possible but probably not necessary. Why don't you let us know what you have done so far and what the current problem is.

One easy thing to check is that after autonootering (if that is the method you used) you must remove the SD card or the Nook will not boot. It could be as simple as that.

Please also indicate the directions you followed to try and root. In the mean time if you haven't already seen this, start here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...color-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html

JE Garrison

May 12, 2011
I am really lost i have the Win32DiskImage on my computer the autonooter is on the sd but I dont understand the process

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ok, the autonooter process isn't really that bad. Start with the link above and read it a few times. It is full of info but don't get overwhelmed. The process is esentially 1. Download the autonooter file, 2. Burn that file to an SD card, 3. With the Nook off insert the card into your Nook, 4. Plug the usb cable in to the PC and 5. Remove the SD card.

Before you do that you will want to have a gmail account that is registered with Barnes & Noble and also linked to a youtube account. It is pretty much impossible to ruin the Nook from a soeftware point of view so not matter what state it is in it can be recovered.

JP

JE Garrison

May 12, 2011
ok i did all the steps to the best of my ability.... when I goto library, memory card, I see the auto-nooter-2-12-25img arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr please if there is a way to do it like dell can.....can we do it that way

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Is your nook currently booting? If so can you please let me know what the version of Barnes & Noble software is? This is important to picking the correct autonooter file. To find the version go Settings>Device Info>About your NOOKcolor.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ok, there is problem #1. The autonooter instructions don't work for 1.2. Still read the thread above for an overview and then read this thread which is for 1.2 and involves a manual nooter since the autonooter isn't out yet http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...d-stock-1-2-rooted-manualnooter-4-4-27-a.html.

You have lots of options besides a manual nooter of 1.2. YOu can install a custom ROM or create a bootable SD which will allow tou to run custom ROMs from a disk http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html.

Before you do anyting though spend some time rading around this forum so you understand your options and what to do when you decide how you want to go.

Again, welcome and after you have had a chance to read up, feel free to ask if you need help with something :)

JP

JE Garrison

May 12, 2011
this is my new issue

$DSCN4733.jpg

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Start with a clean/formatted SD card in your PC.
Go to [RECOVERY] Making an updated bootable ClockworkMod SD - xda-developers and follow new instructions 1-5.
The files referenced in step 2 and used in step 4 are attached at the very bottom of the post.
When step 5 completes, make a backup of your stock 1.2 nook. (You never know when it might come in handy.)
You now have a flashable CWM SD card and a backup of your system. Put the card back in your PC

Next, go to ManualNooter 4.5.6 (For Stock 1.2) - xda-developers and begin at "Let's get started".
Follow the instructions from there and your nook should be successfully Rooted.