new to world of tablets: overview what kinds of tablets are there and web connection

Sudan

Jul 7, 2012
Hi,

Two days ago I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 10.1, wifi, 16gb, 4.0 ice cream sandwich, model GT-P5113TSSXAR, or maybe model is GTP5113TSGR (box says both) for $379.00 at Sam's Club (USA).

1) I'm a complete virgin here, so go easy. I thought that Android tablets can use an internet data plan from a cell provider. But from what I can figure out this tablet requires a wifi signal to get to the internet. Is it just my model of tablet that is for wifi web connection only. Or are all tablets wifi web connection only?

2) I understand in general how to root and install custom rom onto an Android smart phone. I have done that to my original Galaxy S smartphone (T-Mobile Vibrant). However, is there a need or purpose to root a tablet? Are there custom ROMs for tablets? If so, what is the purpose or advantage of installing a custom ROM on a tablet? I assume that the Android 4.0 ice cream sandwich installed by Samsung is just stock Android. Or is the tablet os tweaked by Samsung along the lines of how the cell carriers tweak and ruin the stock android on their phones and limit the functionality of the device?

Again, I'm a newbie here so I'm looking for the general overview to get me started :confused:. Many thanks,
Kelvin

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Kelvin, congratulations on your new tablet and welcome to the forum. Normally, I'd move your thread to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 forum for you, but these questions are not specific to your tablet. So, I'm moving your thread to the Android Tablet Q&A section for you, where more people are likely to join the discussion and try to answer your questions. Good luck!

Sudan

Jul 7, 2012
Hey Spider, thank you for moving it. I really didn't know where to put it, so appreciate your help. Kelvin