New Transformer Prime Update May (or may not) Fix GPS Problems; Rolling Out Now

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
transformer_prime_gps_update.jpg

A new update for the Asus Transformer Prime is rolling out now. The update is a driver fix for the GPS system, that supposedly addresses the GPS problems that have plagued some users of the tablet. Unfortunately, there are many users who experienced the GPS issue, that have indicated this update did not actually fix their problems. Some folks over at AndroidPolice have even done some preliminary testing with the new update which did not yield favorable results. Additionally some users even experienced the update failing on download. If you want to experiment with it yourself, you should get it manually with the following instructions,

Goto ASUS.com, goto SUPPORT>DOWNLOADS>Put in Transformer Prime. Select Android OS and then FIRMWARE. Download this: Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201 Firmware: V9.4.2.7 Only for US SKU (Android 4.0.3)

It will be a ~300mb zip file. Once its downloaded, extract it, its a zip inside of a zip. Once you get the new zip, place it on /sdcard/ and power off your device.

Once I turned mine BACK on, I went to System, About Tablet and checked for a FW upgrade. It saw the file I put on and allowed me to reinstall 4.0.3 ICS, afterwhich I was able to get tonights OTA.

I know this isnt anything special, but trying to get info out of the current thread is tough.

If your device doesn't see an update after you put the zip on your tab, try powering off, holding POWER and VOLUME DOWN and then pressing VOLUME UP once you get to the screen with tiny text. It will attempt to update that way but fail, and youll get a message once you get back to your homescreen that a update failed and you can attempt it again that way.

Good luck!

Source: TransformerForums via AndroidPolice