New Universal Root Method for 'Most' ICS and Jelly Bean Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
Universal-android-root.jpeg

UPDATE: We have received several reports from users who tried this that it does not work. If someone figures out a way to get this to work, please post in the thread. In the mean-time, we will call this one a "dud." :(

Here's proof positive that the developers in the Android community are the best in the world. One of the devs over at XDA, Bin4ry, just developed a new universal root method that is specifically for Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean devices. Supposedly, his root method should be compatibile with nearly all devices that can run stock versions of these two versions of Android. Here's a quote from his thread, followed by some downloads and instructions,

i made a small script which is able to root ICS/JB phones. It uses a remount timing issue in Androids "adb restore" service.
So normally it should work on nearly all ICS/JB devices, for some it won't but the idea may work in a slightly modded version

There is a special case for Xperia T and Xperia S,P etc. phones, this phones run ICS but don't have android's native restore with adb, Sony has added a own custom "Backup&Restore" app, the script handles this cases too, just choose the correct option!

Make sure you hit up the source link below for more detailed instructions (and for any updates), but here's a quick summary with a download link below,

Instructions:
  • Download file and extract it from here: Download
  • Double click the RunMe.bat and follow instructions

Let us know what you think in the thread!

Source: XDA

Last edited:

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
O
M
F
G!!!!

I thought I'd NEVER figure out how to get the eMATIC EGL25BL rooted... and now he (she?) has done it for me!!!

Guess I'll be closing my 'Rooting' thread now...

Absolutely-Frackking-Fan-TASTIC!!! :cool:

:D :D :D :D :D

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
It DID change my wallpaper tho... had to fix that. :p

(Like THAT is something to bytch about!!! :D

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
It is with great sadness that I can report that this procedure will not work on my DK1031/m799ca10" InfoTMIC tablet... but it was never able to connect thu the PC for folder access (so far, at least).
I rooted it by removing the internal TF card and 'inserting' the things manually...

Is that limitation a function of the 'iNAND' (non-NAND storage) design... that they cannot/will not set up such a thing?
Or is it more a matter of not knowing what 'it thinks it is'...???

Either way, I will watch to see if others have the same problem.

The 7" eMATIC EGL25BL (m1099ca) DOES and DID work GREAT! :p

Thanks again! :D

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
I got it to work without ANY PROBLEMs... and posted so.
I am willing to help others any way I can to get this working,

BUT

IF YOUR TABLET CANNOT BE SEEN in WINDOWS then it WILL NOT work at all. This Im sure of.
For example,

IF your tablet allows WINDOWS ACCESS to the local-disk files, then it SHOULD be able to do it... with DEBUGGING ENABLED.

With OPs permission, post the questions here and I will try to help,
else
you can go to the eMATIC section, eGlide subsection and the ROOTING eGlide EGL25BL thread... I will help there.

Interesting with the reports of 'no workee' Im the only one who has had success with it? :confused:

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Have no idea what 0.3 issues you refer to... and Im sorry it does not work for you.

Can you access the tablet's local-disk from usb-pc connect Did you remember to enable usb debugging?

Just did it on my BRAND-NEW XL Pro 2 (also eMATIC... also with usb acccess and usb debugging... took MAYBE one full minute.

The only issue I have with Tiny (EGL25BL) is that lack of Pacific Daylight Time... that's about it. :D

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
It is beginning to look like I was able to use this method because I HAD ALLOWED THE SDK TO INSTALL the usb driver(s) for Android.

IF you install the usb driver package I suspect THAT will correct the problem(s) the folks had...

FYI Everybody! :D

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Great post, thank you dgstorm!

These 'not working' reports might be Duds themselves - could originate from people who do not have usb drivers installed, etc, and no idea how to fix the issue.

The file is only 2 MB, a quick download.

Testing it will be a breeze - adb files ARE included in the package, no need for SDK, JDK stuff. Unpack, run a ''Run_me.bat'' script and watch it work. ;)

Anyone trying this, please let us know your experience. Thank you. ;)

nangitoholmes

Oct 1, 2012
Sorry problem a stupid question as I am new to the tablet world but what does this do?
What does it enable etc.

Thanks in advance..

yann2

Jan 24, 2012

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Wow, don't know how I missed the thread the first time (or forgot about it). This would be particularly nice for Vizio users stuggling with an unrootable, unsupported device should Vizo ever see fit to update the VTab to ICS. In that case however they would probably take the time to fix the hole before sending the update anyway. Maybe one day there will also be a universal Honeycomb solution.

chinavasion

Sep 20, 2012
Oh, this is the valuable news to all android users, also we are expecting more news related to android updation.

cm.stites

Nov 26, 2012
how long should it take to root the device??? my install has been at a stand still with the last line being * daemon started succesfully * for about 20 minutes now.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
how long should it take to root the device??? my install has been at a stand still with the last line being * daemon started succesfully * for about 20 minutes now.

I wouldn't give it much longer than that. If you want to be extra cautious you can wait 30 minutes but pretty much under all circumstances you should be done by then. Most likely you have already hit a snag.

JP