New Update Now

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
Can anyone offer detailed instructions on how to revert to 1.029 (1st OTA update)? .

Here's what you need to do (I did this last night so I could un-root and install this update). Should work to get you back to stock 1.029.

1. Get Android SDK & the official Acer USB Drivers Android SDK | Android Developers Acer Support: Downloads & Support Documents - Tablet / ICONIA TAB / A700
2. Unlock the bootloader: Unlock bootloader - xda-developers
3. Install Clockwork Recovery: CWM Recovery 6.0.1.0 for A700 - xda-developers
- I had to install this recovery.img using the BAT file from this post. IMPORTANT! DO NOT INSTALL THE recovery.img FROM THAT LINK! It will brick you. Replace it with the one from the thread above (6.0.1.0).
4. Download the appropriate ROM for your device. You'll want the first CUS1 as it is 1.0.29: A700 & A701 ROMS list - xda-developers
6. Follow the directions in this link. If you can't get update.zip to run from an external SD (I couldn't) then try it from the root directory of your internal SD (I just noticed the post was updated after I messaged him). [GUIDE] Updating A700 while rooted! revised: 8/4/12, bonus for USA tab owners - xda-developers

After you've done it all, be sure to choose "NO" when you reboot the system from CWM, otherwise CWM is still going to be there and you're probably going to be unable to get future updates.

It took me about two hours to figure all this out, and in the end my bootloader was locked, my root was unrooted, and I was on stock 1.0.29 and able to get the update. So once you're back to 1.0.29, just don't do this latest one.

RobertW46

Jul 20, 2012
My screen sensitivity was awful after the new upgrade. The corners were all but unusable unless I mashed really hard.

I just chatted with an Acer rep. She said to do a reset, so I put the paper clip in the little hole that says RESET (it's beside the power connector). That appears to have fixed it! Now the screen is nice and sensitive (with the Touch Panel Sensitivity in Display set to High), plus the good things about the update are still there.

Acer said if that didn't fix it then I should do a full reset, which wipes out all the data and programs. I just did that the day before the upgrade and it takes me half a day to get everything back, so I would like to avoid that. Fortunately, it looks like that won't be necessary.

UPDATE: Hmm. After I use it briefly, the symptoms recur. I'm trying to figure out what app is causing that. I hope it's a bad interaction with an app I can do without.

UPDATE: So, after a few hours of patiently removing apps and using RESET and getting weird, inconsistent results, I had a thought and took off my screen protector. That seems to have fixed it. Really, it was that simple? Hmph. Their update made it so that it responds well if you don't have a screen protector? Well, okay then. So I will use that for a while. Then I'll put the apps back. If I don't add to this, it worked.

Last edited:

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
Hmm..I am actually noticing dead corners. I have two apps with corner buttons and both are having issues now that they did not before. No screen protector, either.

Captain_Crypto

Jun 27, 2012
Hmm..I am actually noticing dead corners. I have two apps with corner buttons and both are having issues now that they did not before. No screen protector, either.

Which apps? Dolphin's new tab button in the top right corner works I'll test a few apps as well. So far I'm not finding issues...

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
Mantano Reader has issues with the settings button in the upper right hand corner and Memories Journal has issues with the save button in the lower left corner. Both referring to landscape mode. It's not a big deal because a long press will catch the button. I figure if even two people on a single forum are having the issue then it probably is an issue that Acer has been informed about, so I'm sure it'll go away.

I'm still looking forward to a final release of CM10. Not ready to commit to a new ROM until all the kinks are fully worked out of CWM.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I've seen some corner sluggishness, more like missed taps, in some apps, NBC Live Extra for example, and Google Earth, but this goes away as soon as I exit the app. I suspect it's something to do with intense video processing.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Guys:
On the sluggishness issue, try power setting of performance.
It seemed to help my sluggishness issue with regard to corner sensitivity and scrolling smoothness in the web browser.

So far I haven't seen any significant difference in battery utilization with the performance option selected but since the tablet runs for three days unless I'm gaming battery life is not an issue.

Captain_Crypto

Jun 27, 2012
Last night I installed the Nova Launcher beta update that incorporates Jelly Bean features. I noticed a slight sluggish feel when apps open and close but it's barely noticeable. Overall I'm happy with the latest Acer update.

Captain_Crypto

Jun 27, 2012
Guys:
On the sluggishness issue, try power setting of performance.
It seemed to help my sluggishness issue with regard to corner sensitivity and scrolling smoothness in the web browser.

So far I haven't seen any significant difference in battery utilization with the performance option selected but since the tablet runs for three days unless I'm gaming battery life is not an issue.

Although I haven't had a problem with the corner issue, I'm with you on the rest of your observations.