new user, help needed

ashlee

Nov 21, 2011
okay, so, bear with me, guys. i'll openly admit i have no idea what i'm talking about.

my husband and i decided to get our daughters netbooks for christmas (they are in elementary school) so we can start teaching them about internet usage, email, etc.

we noticed that our local zellers was selling craig netbooks for $100. so we ran out and bought two. we foolishly figured they used windows and would be a breeze to use.

we come to find out that they use google android. neither of us have any clue what this means, and i've tried reading about it online, but i'm not exactly tech savvy. i came across this forum in hopes that someone can help me out.

the exact name is 7 inche craig netbook powered by android 2.2.

as mentioned above, all we are looking for is something for our young daughters to learn about computers. understand how to upload photos from our cameras, learn to email their grandparents, listen to music, watch videos online, customize their desktops, etc.

is this netbook suitable for such use? will i be disappointed to find out that they are not child compatible at all?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
they are capable of doing all the things you are looking for, yes...but it will be a little different from what you may be used to from PCs.

When you say netbooks, do you mean they look like smaller laptop computers, or are they just touch screen devices?

Sent from my gTablet using Android Tablet Forum

ashlee

Nov 21, 2011
they are capable of doing all the things you are looking for, yes...but it will be a little different from what you may be used to from PCs.

When you say netbooks, do you mean they look like smaller laptop computers, or are they just touch screen devices?

hi there, yes, they are netbooks (smaller computers) but touch screen devices. how do i know how big the harddrive is?

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
if they are tablets, then they really are pretty different from what you may be used to. To check the size of the builtin storage, go to Settings->Storage and it should show you there. The tablets may also have microsd slots which will allow you to add storage to the device.

I would strongly recommend checking out the Craig sub-forum to find see if your device is there, and to find people that can help from device-specific experience.

ashlee

Nov 21, 2011
no, wait, i'm sorry, my above post said they have touch screen devices. it should have read NOT touch screen devices. these are netbooks, not tablets.

FinEncounter

Nov 21, 2011
My new Arhos7 is Loading but shuts off after Loading ..... several times and will not start. And it's black
What are going on .

Enny Help Please :confused:

sqa

Jul 2, 2011
Don't kill your daughters.
I have 2 sons and both of them do not like put their noses deeper then send/receive e-mails, interact with their friends through web-games, do their home-work. All normal kids learn all this stuff on Windows OS, all popular games for math/grammar/... learning are Windows based. Buy used Windows lap-tops (although they are not good for kids - you cannot create a proper sitting environment), that's why for little ones should be used desk-tops.
All small devices are for travelers (short or long distance, busses, subways, cars, hotels).
Small devices are not for little ones!:)

Last edited:

Jahziel

Nov 23, 2011
They most likely have a total of 4GBs in the way of storage space. This is then cut down by the operating system and the factory restore image. Your available space is most likely around 2.4-5 GB. For what you are describing in the way of use, this is plenty of space. If they are going to load them up with music, movies, software, and games, then you may wish to pick up a memory card to expand the available storage space.

To find out for certain how much space is available, link the unit to a computer via USB cable and set the android os to mass storage in the settings menu. On your computer you will see another hard drive. Right click it and select Properties from the pull down menu and that will show you total space.

Adeena

Nov 23, 2011
I came here looking for some info on the same thing! :)

This is what they are: Craig Electronics Inc.

I bought one for my son to check his email and stuff while he waits for his sister at dance. I've been trying to install android games on it, and can NOT figure out how! If I go to the market, it tells me there's no android phone assoiciated with my account.

Anyone else use this? My son will be happy with it for his email, but I was really hoping to put a few games on it, too.

Thanks!