New user shopping advise re GPS

unlb

Mar 13, 2012
Hi All

Im looking to buy an android tablet and after trudging through countless websites and forum posts that dont really answer my questions ive decided to ask myself!

I read an article in PC Pro this month about using a tablet as a sat nav and its got my gadget juices flowing! I cant seem to find out whether just some or all tablets have GPS functionality. The suggested tablet in the article was the Archos 7o 8Gb but this isnt available in many places and prices vary massively!
Should i be looking for a specific chip set or wording on the tablets specs that im just missing?
Other than this im thinking 7 or 8 inch screen and will use for games, films, music etc and web browsing. Im not overly worried by storage will just get a few memory cards but the 1 main function is GPS. Budget wise anything upto about £200 is fine so if anyone has any favorites/suggested tablets i would love to hear from you as well.

If anyone can point me in the right general direction that would be great.
Thanks in anticipation,

Nick

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Nick, welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Android Tablet Discussions section for you. That's the best place on the forum for "shopping" advice when looking for a new tablet, and more people are likely to join the discussion and try to help you there. Good luck!

unlb

Mar 13, 2012
Hi Spider many thanks for the move.

Incidentally one of the other apps im keen to set up on it is Torque so it would require bluetooth as well (already got the ODB11 adapter!) but i guess the majority of tablets have this functionality!

If someone could advise on what i should be looking out for spec wise for GPS that would be very helpful.

Nick