New Vizio Update to 1.1.5?

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
But they can force them to apply to some standards to be able to use market and other Google apps.
. . .

But that might cost Google money. I can't see Google sacrificing potential income for a quality user experience. Even devices that don't ship with Google apps are usually hacked to allow them.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
But that might cost Google money.
It'll eventually cost them money if they don't do it. The Android OS is already gaining a reputation as "the next Windows." Windows got to be the nasty mess it got to be from being treated just like the 'droid OS and applications are: Poor security model and even worse applications behaviour.

Google and the others with a vested interest in the future of the 'droid platform can pay a little now to make it right or pay big later. As it stands right now, I don't know as I'd be inclined to put anything sensitive on a 'droid-based device. I'm not sure I can trust them in any respect whatsoever.

Jim

Last edited:

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
@gjhuff, do you really think apple does anything better with breaking each update they push the jailbreak? Sure, they do implement some stuff to lower the need to jailbreak, but Google does this also, look at the new features in ics...
However, i don't think the sdcard issue will ever be fixed on these tablets, but i also think that implementing selectable folder locations is something Google as an app developer and all, or most, of the other app devs will need to learn, there will always be low spec devices that don't have enough built in storage so the users will be in the need to select the storage location in any app. But there are also other things that annoy member like that apps create folders in the root directory of the sdcard for files the user normally does not need to view instead of putting them into /sdcard/android/data/*your app here*/ like Google demonstrate it with their apps and some devs do, not most don't. But this is also Google's fault, due to not having a filemanager in their system by default.

Ah, and i do love "rocket surgery" lol

Apple certainly is not perfect, but overall, it appears more responsive to customer demands than Microsoft or Google does. Now if ICS fixes these problems, I will un-freeze Vizio update and let it go to work. I can live with the SD limitations, although I don't know why I should have to. My big need to root was to modify the supplicant file to allow for ad hoc connections. That certainly increased the usefulness of the VTAB to me.

Query, self-proclaimed rocket surgeon, if hackers can fix SD and Adhoc with rooting, why can't Vizio just put out a patch to do the same things? Wouldn't doing these things make the product more competitive, particularly at the low price point? <g>

BarryD9545

Nov 24, 2011
Only 1 report thus far.

CRAP.

The update was in before I thought about it.

YES...root is gone.

The update has also removed my ability to see and connect to AD-HOC networks. No more tethering.

<sigh>

No doubt someone will find a new root method...soon???

robop

Dec 6, 2010
gjhuff I like you idea that Apple "appears" more responsive to customer demands than Microsoft or Google does. It only appears that way because people just trust Apple, don't you remember the hacker that went to apple and told them about a back door into the Iphone and apple said so what and did nothing for one or two months so the Haker announced to the world he would hack as many Iphone as he could at the hacker convention if they didn't fix it.... and they didn't so he hacked sevral tens of thousand Iphones and turned off, as a warning to the users. Then next week Apple fixed it after thousands of compaints and returns.

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
Robop: I was not aware of that and it saddens me. I really have no personal experience with Apple other than the Iphone 4s I just bought for the wife. My source for thinking they were more responsive was anecdotal and from their PR I guess. I'm not a "fanboy" of any OS or hardware product - just what works and will let me tinker around some. Right now, Android fits the bill, but Vizio's action to prevent, albeit taken for an understandable reason, disappoints me because it renders the VTAB less usable to me. Still a good buy, but not as good as it could be.

Martel

Nov 14, 2011
If you like to tinker, turn off updates, and the next time someone fingers out how to root, you should be good to go. If Vizio keeps fixing the root-hole, then don't let it update

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
If you like to tinker, turn off updates, and the next time someone fingers out how to root, you should be good to go. If Vizio keeps fixing the root-hole, then don't let it update

That's the plan! Of course, by doing that, I might miss some other good updates.

Martel

Nov 14, 2011
At least you can read about said goodies in the updates, decide if you WANT to update, and either update, or wait for the next root-hole to be found, THEN update and get the new goodies. That's the nice thing about this stuff. You can choose one way or the other.

stocksj

Nov 22, 2011
I received my update yesterday for my wife's xmas gift. If Vizio puts out updates to correct new security problems then there's nothing wrong with that. Rooting a tablet to tinker with mods and hacks is opposite why most people buy tablets in the first place. It's to use them for what they are designed for. If you want to play with root, then you need to know what you're doing and why. This is something along the line of a developer or Unix/Linux sysadmin and not something a basic user needs to be concerned with. Wheither or not this device is upgraded to Honeycomb or not won't make much difference since like the Android phones, theres a new one coming out ever couple of months. It should be more about, Where are the apps??

JimO

Nov 9, 2011
CRAP.

The update was in before I thought about it.

YES...root is gone.

The update has also removed my ability to see and connect to AD-HOC networks. No more tethering.

<sigh>

No doubt someone will find a new root method...soon???

Exact same story here. Root gone. Ad-hoc fix I did no longer works. That was the main reason I rooted. I should have held off and researched the update before allowing it. Hope someone figures out how to root after this update.

EddieHaskel

Nov 30, 2011
I see where to turn off updates but when I reboot updates are back on. I must be doing it wrong, can you point me in the right direction to turn and keep the update service off please. I have looked all over and do not see info on it. TIA Doug

Ledmik

Nov 29, 2011
I did the update before I decided to root it. Since I purchased it less than a month ago from Costco, I'm just going to return it and pick up a new one. The ones in boxes didn't get updated. ;)

Does anyone know the domain Vizio uses for their updates? I have dd-wrt routers at home and at work. I should be able to block the update domain(s) that way.

I'll also freeze the update with titanium just to be safe.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

am_fm_radio

Nov 8, 2011
I just bought a second VTAB--still in the box for my gal pal.. before I give it my network password, I think I'll copy all files in internal memory to my computer. Then any updates should be able to be rolled back...Someday we'll see some real info out on what is going on inside..but I don't even thing there are real technical white pages on the ipad or anything else in this class.

Hemingray

Aug 26, 2011
rooted VTAB owner here, My method of stopping the update, rather than freezing the app and risking brickage, was to simply deny it network access. Use an app like LBE Privacy Guard to restrict network access. (by default, as a system app, it'll be marked as Trusted, but you can unset that). Has worked flawlessly for me.

Another method, if you can get your hands on the hostname used for the update checks, is to install Adaway, and add the hostname to it's blacklist.