New WonderMedia WM8650 Android Tablet PC

blaide

Apr 21, 2011
Where do I look to find out the firmware version. Also, if I use Z4root, isn't there a way to back up the exisiting firmware and settings to restore the tablet to the way I got it? If so, how do I do that? I would need a step by step guide as I'm still a nube on the whole tablet thing. Also, anyone have any ideas on connecting this device to a TV?

blaide

Apr 21, 2011
anyone? Perhaps this was answered in another tread, but if it was, I havn't found it yet. If anyone can point me in the right direction or give me a link to the tread, it would be greatly appreciated. The tablet looks like it will be pretty good if I can get it set up properly.

blaide

Apr 21, 2011
Here is a link to an auction on Ebay selling what looks to be the exact tablet I bought in Beijing right down to the packaging on the box. The specifications don't say what the camera is, but there are many pictures from all angles of the tablet: 9.7" Tablet PC Android2.2 WM8650 ARM11 256MB WiFi 2GB | eBay

I powered the tablet up and there seems to be no back light on the back button. If I cup my hand around the back button, I can see blue light coming from the tiny space between the back button and the housing, but it is not a back light for the button itself. Also, the headphone jack is just black, no other colors. Really want to get the official Android software and market on here and need assistance with the rom , flashing, back up, etc..

ksng_android

Apr 23, 2011
Hi blaide,
The specification of your 9.7" tablet seems to be "nothing special" compared with the other 7" or 8" 8650 ones, i.e. there isn't any unique feature which the others don't have, e.g. GPS, bluetooth. Hence I suspect some of the prevailing 7" ROMs might be suitable for your tablet, but of course you need to change the resolution in some environment variables before flashing. Mine is a 8" 8650 and I've brick it by flashing a new ROM (I haven't done any backup before flashing and don't have the factory ROM), but I eventually managed to save it by flashing the M009S ROM with resolution changed to 800x600 in the file FirmwareInstall/env/uboot_env_tail. I've then fine tuned my ROM to take away the Shenzhen time/weather widget to improve performance (touchscreen is now very responsive), and add back some google framework apps so that the official google market can work.

It would be a good idea to backup the ROM before doing any flashing, but I still can't find a way to obtain the ROM image. Instead if you know about Linux and you've rooted your device, then you may backup the filesystems to a USB finger (i.e. udisk) using the 'busybox cp' command. In particular the following folders and their sub folders are required to be backuped:
the top folder, /sbin, /bin, /data, /lib, /usr, /busybox, /system & /etc.
One thing also important is to know about your touchscreen calibration parameters, which can be obtained by command "wmtenv get wmt.io.ts.2dcal" ... in my case it is something like 3 -17786 68960183 14239 12 -5362731 80387.
With the filesystems backup and the calibration parameters, you can theoretically reconstruct a working ROM, if in case all the ROMs you've tried don't work.

I've done an interesting experiment ... to boot and run the tablet entirely from SD, not using the internal NAND disk at all. Method is to partition a SD card (at least a 4GB one) into a 2GB VFAT and a 2GB ext2 partitions, copy all the above filesystems into the ext2 partition, tweak the init.rc a little bit, explode a suitable downloaded 8650 ROM image into the VFAT partition (not necessary a ROM image which runs OK on the tablet since we require only the wmt_scriptcmd & some files in the FirmwareInstall folder required for booting), and finally modify the wmt_scriptcmd to:
mmcinit 0
setenv wmt.display.param 2:0:16:0:0:0
setenv wmt.display.tmr 40000:0:10:46:800:20:10:23:600:10
setenv wmt.display.pwm 0:25:100:90
setenv memtotal 214M
setenv wmt.display.logoaddr 500000
setenv wmt.kernel.animation.addr f600000
display init
textout -1 -1 \"Testing SD boot ...\" FFFF00
setenv bootargs 'mem=214M root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext2 rw noinitrd console=tty loadtime=-4 rootdelay=6 init=/init wmtvo=2:1:24:800:600:60'
fatload mmc 0 0 FirmwareInstall/uzImage.bin
bootm 0

However my SD card is of class 4 so that it runs very, very slowly. I think we should use at least a class 10 one.

Actually I think we can use similar method to test a new ROM image on the tablet using SD, to make sure it works before flashing it into the internal disk - explode the ROM image into the VFAT partition and then copy/unzip/untar the files under FirmwareInstall (e.g. androidxxxx.tgz, busyboxxxxx.tgz, etc) into the ext2 partition, and make the above modification in wmt_scriptcmd to boot from SD.

PS. apology that my posting may make you feel more confusing instead of help answering you questions!

blaide

Apr 21, 2011
Wow. thanks. I understand in theory, but don't know how to get started in reality. I'm not computer savey and was only able to get my Coby Kyros MID 7015 up and running by watching a step by step youtube video and reading several threads on this forum. I need a real "Dumbed down, step by step, "Rooting and Flashjing your tablet for dummies" appraoch.
I found additional information on Alibabsa about the tablet. It looks to be a 1.3 megapixel camera. Here is the specifications from the manufacturer:
New 9.7 inch tablet PC VIA WM8650 - Detailed info for New 9.7 inch tablet PC VIA WM8650,VIA WM8650,New 9.7 inch tablet PC VIA WM8650,9.7" VIA 8650 on Alibaba.com

ksng_android

Apr 23, 2011
is there a step by step guide anywhere to try what ksng_android suggested?
I'm still testing the idea of test booting a new ROM using SD. There's a problem that the SD card needs to have 2 partitions: partition1 being VFAT, and partition 2 being ext2. However it is found that Windows can only mount the first partition of a removable disk. I'm doing my tests using Linux and this is not an issue.

With Linux commands, I can extract and copy files from a ROM image to the SD partitions, and the tablet can boot and run using the SD, without any writing to the internal disk. However I found that the touchscreen calibration is as accurate as it was when booting/running from internal disk, and I found no files on the SD containing the calibration information. Hence I believe there's some Android initialisation which reads environment variables from the internal disk. Therefore my testing of the new ROM using SD boot is not thorough enough. I'll still need to do some further investigation.

p3k

May 10, 2011
Well I'm getting warmer to the idea of flashing my WM8650... gaining some things would be nice. You mentioned a small speed boost... would access to more features (ability to change settings that normally aren't avail. in the 'stock' ROM?) be available? One that bugs me in particular are programs that insist on re-loading when ended, like Stumbleupon. I like the program, but every time I'm finished with it, even if I kill it, it pops right back, eating up memory. I see it's also set to auto start when the tablet boots... would like to change that.

I'm thinking flashing this tablet might be similar to when I've flashed my PDA (?), I'm guessing that different ROM builders out there offer different features in their ROMS? Is the WM8650 too new to find a variety of ~stable~ ROMS to choose from? How do I find them? Is it really as you said, involving giving info on my tablet's makeup, such as the things you mentioned? Man, that sounds kinda scary, having to rely on that versus a model number. Is there a website that would help showing the procedure?

Thanks

The Android OS that comes stock on our tablets is not an authorized version, ergo the regular android market will not function. If you want it to work tyou will need to flash your tablet and install a new rom. this can be risky as if you install the wrong rom you can potentially "Brick" your device. I myself worked up the courage to do it and got it right on the first try (pretty easy to do actually) and now have access to the original android market...though what I am finding is that all the apps there are available on one of the five alternative markets. Ive yet to find one on A.M. i couldnt find on the others. Also...you need a gmail account to make it work as well in addition to that. if you wiszh to attempt this we will need to know everything about your tablet. (color of the led, color of the audio jack, does it vibrate when you start it? pictures of your tablet. size of your screen. what kind of camera? is it 0.3 MP or 1.3 MP? is your screen one point touch or two point touch? (this means that you can pinch zoom pictures and web pages)) with that information we can direct you to a ROM that "Should" be compatible with your device and will enable android market..youll even get a slight speed boost...but again you still run the risk of getting it wrong. if its worth it to you then let us know and we will try to help. if not then i suggest just working with the alternative markets

VonSpyder

Apr 16, 2011
the procedure is easy. there are model numbers out there but most people are more comfortable with going by device description so they know they have it right. the model number on mine was an E-18.

Dajo

Apr 20, 2011
Arrived today, so far so good :D

Installed TechKnow honeycomb v2 and works pretty well, waiting for v3

blaide

Apr 21, 2011
What tablet did you purchase (modfel #)? Is it the same as mine and if so how do you go about finding the rom and installing the techknow honeycomb v2 you mentioned? Do you start with Z4root? What SU code do you have to enter? I really need a step by step tutorial like the one I found for my Coby Kyros MID 7015.

Dajo

Apr 20, 2011
Will explain you details but it is not complicated at all...

1. Unpack content from *.zip or *.rar firmware file to the root of your SD card...
2. Put the card into tablet.
3. Power on the tablet
4. Yellow text will say something like "preparing to upgrade..." - it will stood still for couple of seconds
5. Upgrade begins (red text says not to remove SD card during upgrade)
6. Upgrade completes (red text says to remove SD card)
7. remove SD card (format it on PC or just delete ROM content and put it back into tablet)
8. Power up tablet and wait to boot up...

Please notice that first boot may take little bit longer and that upgrade can turn to endless loop if you do not delete ROM content from SD card after upgrade.

1.3.0 HoneyComb mod firmware must be prepared before flashing for specific device. HcH made batch file called changer.bat for preparing ROM content for specific device.

So the procedure is identical but you need to unzip/unrar 1.3.0 ROM, execute changer.bat on your PC and select option for your model. After that, just follow already mentioned steps from 1 to 8.

Good luck...

g_c

May 21, 2011
Hi, I'm new here.

I've an annoying problem with my WM8650. Its soft keyboard (& also the function menu) keeps popping up...

Anyone here experienced the same problem? I'm thinking to reset the device (by poking the reset hole) but worry it won't boot up anymore (because the manual says the reset will erase all the data...)

Appreciate your help. Thanks

blaide

Apr 21, 2011
I see the VIA WM8650 in the list of tablets for the program that HCH made, but just wanted to know if that model # refers to the entire device (meaning screen size) or just the software. I read that other wm8650's have a 7 or 8 inch screens and that certain lines of code need to be changed if it is a 9.7 inch screen. I'm not a computer guy or programmer, so I wouldn't even know where to start if that is the case.
Also, if the model # does refer to the entire device including the screen size, then how to you use the changer.bat program? Do I unzip the rom to a desktop pc and use changer.bat there to select my model and then transfer to my SD card, or is all this done on the tablet's SD card? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but as I said, I'm not too knowledgeable in these matters.