New WonderMedia WM8650 Android Tablet PC

rwissink

May 22, 2011
Hi guys..

I got wm8650 tablet running froyo 2.2.
Tried to get Ad hoc... I replaced my original wpa_supplicant file in sytem/bin directory> Now my Wifi wont work (Im a fool for not backing it up)

I have tried every wpa_supplicant file on the internet , but they are all patched versions... I need the original unchanged file

Please can someone be so kind to send me the original: wpa_supplicant
I will greatly appreciate it

Thank You in advance

Hi guys..

Tried to get Ad hoc... I replaced my original wpa_supplicant file in sytem/bin directory> Now my Wifi wont work (Im a fool for not backing it up)

I have tried every wpa_supplicant file on the internet , but they are all patched versions... I need the original unchanged file

Thank You in advance

Hi guys..

Thank You in advance

Hi guys..

Thank You in advance

Hi guys..

Thank You in advance

Hi guys..

Thank You in advance

Hi guys.. Please need HELP

Thank You in advance

Hi guys..

Thank You in advance

Hi guys..

Thank You in advance

p3k

May 10, 2011
Has anyone been successful in getting a QR code reader for their WM8650 to work? I've tried several, but either they just crash upon launching, or display a video screen of garbage noise.

Yes, I know I can usually find almost any app by using sites that have direct download links, or searching google for apk files, but sometimes I've come across a program that I can only find a link that only has the QR code shown, and I'm stuck.(plus, it would be a lot quicker than having to do all that searching!).

kalliherra

May 27, 2011
I have just purchase a Wonder Media 7" tablet.
Model WM8650
Android Version 2.2
Kernel version 2.6.32.9-default
Build # generic-eng 2.2 Froyo v1.2.3-20110409.211203

I have been unable to get to the android market. I have tried downloading applanet and still cannot access any apps.
The unit also will not allow me to set up a yahoo email account or run yahoo messenger.
Any help would be really appreciated.

kalliherra

May 27, 2011
I have just purchase a Wonder Media 7" tablet.
Model WM8650
Android Version 2.2
Build # generic-eng 2.2 Froyo v1.2.3-20110409.211203

I have been unable to get to the android market. I have tried downloading applanet and still cannot access any apps.
The unit also will not allow me to set up a yahoo email account or run yahoo messenger.
Any help would be really appreciated.

Additional information on my tablet.
I am hoping you can guide me on how to flash my tablet with an authorized version of the android 2.2 software:

my tablet is a
Wondermedia WM8650
Android 2.2
Build number generic-eng 2.2 Froyo v1.2.3-20110409.211203
color of the led, Blue when powered on red when charging
color of the audio jack: green
it does NOT vibrate when powered up
7: screen.
I could not find any information on the Camera. my guess is that it would be a .3
This screen is a one point touch (does not pinch zoom)

I have tried downloading applanet but still cannot access any apps
The tablet will also not allow me to set up a yahoo email account.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jmbalog

May 31, 2011
Just received my Tablet PC. It has Android 2.2, kernel 2.6.32.9-default, generic- eng 2.2 froyo v1.2.2-20110402.115818. It has a green power light, no blue light.

I read several threads-
1. should i update my rom?
2. an 8 gb flash card big enough- few photos, few muscis and no videos?
3. What is this talk about the app market. I am in the USA.

any other sugestions for a newbie ?

jrizal

May 25, 2011
Just received my Tablet PC. It has Android 2.2, kernel 2.6.32.9-default, generic- eng 2.2 froyo v1.2.2-20110402.115818. It has a green power light, no blue light.

I read several threads-
1. should i update my rom?
2. an 8 gb flash card big enough- few photos, few muscis and no videos?
3. What is this talk about the app market. I am in the USA.

any other sugestions for a newbie ?

1) Not necessarily but v1.2.3 and 1.3 have the official Android Market app and support from Google
2) It's more than enough for the casual user (I use only 2GB in my tablet as I use Slacker for music)
3) see number 1

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

kristeltips66

Sep 25, 2010
I have had mine for few months . It works well , but does not have the market installed. It has a Chinese version. So I get my apks from the following : Android freeware and Android freeware lovers. I have installed the kindle app etc. I don't need Skyfire because it has adobe flash 10.1 installed. :). Nice cheap android 2.2 tablet. Down side no market and the stupid 30 pin connecter :(

jmbalog

May 31, 2011
Thanks for the advise. Can you point me to instructions on getting v1.2.3 and 1.3.

Thanks, John

jrizal

May 25, 2011
Thanks for the advise. Can you point me to instructions on getting v1.2.3 and 1.3.

Thanks, John

For v1.3 go to HcH'z TechKnow [www.HcH.net.tc] - Index page (registration required). The latest ROM version is 5. This is the ROM rooted and modded by HCH. Also follow instructions carefully as this ROM has specific instructions for 20 different models using the WM8650 chipset. Using the wrong ROM may brick your unit.

For v1.2.3 go to Firmware update ( release 05-05-11 versie 1.2.3 ) (thanks to Dajo for providing the link) The site is in Dutch so use a translator. Instructions are included also and the ROM is likewise in Dutch. But you can easily change the language. This ROM is basically the stock ROM (or with minimal modding but not rooted) from Wondermedia and only has the FVIEW branding as the only "proprietary" mod. The former ROM is highly customized (Angry Birds runs pretty decent though.) But personally I prefer this one and currently using this one after testing v1.3.

Note: Be sure to follow instructions carefully so that you won't brick your unit. Also read the sticky notes in this forum.

Last edited:

jmbalog

May 31, 2011
For v1.3 go to HcH'z TechKnow [www.HcH.net.tc] - Index page (registration required). The latest ROM version is 5. This is the ROM rooted and modded by HCH. Also follow instructions carefully as this ROM has specific instructions for 20 different models using the WM8650 chipset. Using the wrong ROM may brick your unit.

For v1.2.3 go to Firmware update ( release 05-05-11 versie 1.2.3 ) (thanks to Dajo for providing the link) The site is in Dutch so use a translator. Instructions are included also and the ROM is likewise in Dutch. But you can easily change the language. This ROM is basically the stock ROM (or with minimal modding but not rooted) from Wondermedia and only has the FVIEW branding as the only "proprietary" mod. The former ROM is highly customized (Angry Birds runs pretty decent though.) But personally I prefer this one and currently using this one after testing v1.3.

Note: Be sure to follow instructions carefully so that you won't brick your unit. Also read the sticky notes in this forum.

I am assuming v 1.3 is the best???? I looked for a comparison but no results.

jrizal

May 25, 2011
@jmbalog,

HCH is the most popular and the latest. Being the best is a matter of preference. Also, I forgot to state that 1.3 actually supports moving apps to the SD card. The other versions (1.2.2 and 1.2.3) can't for whatever reason.

taltos66

Jun 2, 2011
Hi Everyone, I have read through this thread and I would like, as well, to upgrade my pad's MOD to v5. I followed the instructions mentioned through the thread and the TechKnow forum but like many I'm stuck at making the right choice for the type of pad I have... Sure enough it is WM8650 that is all I know but I can add that it's power led is green (goes red when charging) and it is a 9.7" pad which looks identical to the real iPad (relatively). It is branded Wintouch at the back but I cannot find any other indication which narrows the model down to make a safe selection from those listed in the MOD v5. The device information also does not give a clue giving only the Andriod version and kernal number.

Can anyone provide more tips... (before I do something which bricks it...)?