newbie question which nook to get

tazz3

Feb 23, 2012
hello all. i did not know this site hd a nook section anyways i have a desktop and i dont own a laptop.
i just want something i can surf the web and stuff with and i see they have a nook color for 169 and the nook for 199. which one is better i think i will get the nook color thanks all

MISRy

Sep 4, 2011
For hacking to full Android go with the Color and if you are purchasing online anyway get the $139 refurb as it still carries a full years warranty.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
To add a little color (no pun intended) to MISRy's comment. The Nook Color is not just about 'hacking' but it is open which allows you access to the Google Market, Amazon App Store, rooting and custom ROM's including Android 4.0 which is called Ice Cream Sandwich. These are all highly desirable features to most people and don't really take much effort to achieve. Going with a refurb is also a good idea if cost is important.

The Nook Tablet is faster but more locked to B&N's operating system and store. There are ways to slightly open up the system (rooting) which can give access to Google Market and Amazon App Store but the process is a little more difficult and not as open as with the Nook Color.

Both are good options for surfing the web, youtube, email and Netflix but the Nook Color allows you to do whatever you want with your device including the latest ROMs to make it a true tablet. With the Nook Tablet you are more or less stuck with what B&N shipped which is a tablet/reader.

tazz3

Feb 23, 2012
thanks all can i get the google market right out of the box with the color. and i will look in to the refurb