Newbie Questions such as which one, this vs that, where to buy, best deal etc.

nosvet

Aug 15, 2010
I know as a newbie these questions might be answered somewhere, but I've searched google and have not found what I needed.

First, I'd like some help in learning exactly what the Android Tablets do or can do in compasion to say a netbook.

Is there a good comparison table or a article that helps one decide which tablet is best for that user or which tablet is best for what use?

What is the cheapest tablet available that has demonstarted good overall performance and seems to be stable and does not have a bad defect or return history.

Can the version of Android be updated on all tablets?

Where is the best place to find the best deals for tablets on the net?

I'm hoping the vast knowledge base here can help me decide, locate and purchase my first Android Tablet.

Thanks
Chris

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Welcome to the forum and i will try and answer your questions for you. First off you cant compare an android tablet to a windows netbook because a netbook is a small computer and a tablet is like a big smart phone but with out the dialer, the cheapest tablet is the eken m001 and the cheapest i found is a DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1) its 95 dollars and free shipping, now its not top of the line because its only 95 dollars but it still does a lot and for most people its enough. The version of android can not be updated on most of the tablets there are some that can be updated but not all of them can be, Now my favorite place to purchase tablets from is Euogo.com: Best Deals on Android Tablet,Tablet PC,Smartphones,Apple Accessories,Cool Gadgets & more from Hong Kong China and when you click on a tablet they have a comparison tablet to compare all of the tablets they sell

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
This FAQ Link in a different sub-section starts to answer your questions. Tablet Apps FAQ The real question can also be "what applications are you interested in running?" The capability of an Android Tablet should not be compared to something like a Tablet PC. The average generic unit is perfect for Web Browsing,E-Reader,MP3s, and low level data entry. Higher end units (Read more Expensive) can come closer to full Tablet PC capability. But I would not replace your notebook just yet.

Just like PCs, turn around and a new better cheaper version is out. The same will be true over the next few months with the Android Tablet. Read the news sub-section and you will see the brands which are about to be released. This means better features and the use of the latest (read 2.1 and 2.2) versions of Android. Right now the low-end (Read cheap) units use versions 1.5 all the way to 2.1. The software ranges from primitive to very sophisticated.

So, while I cannot answer your question yet. Read the FAQ link above and review the news and this section. The $100 Android tablet may be just what you are looking for. But it will not likely have much support or ability to acquire a branded flash to the latest version. Units like the Archos 7 Home or the just around the bend Samsung may be just what you are looking for.

nosvet

Aug 15, 2010
Thanks for the info thus far. I'm looking for internet browsing and shopping, emails, music, mp4 videos, avi videos etc. maybe GPS.

What about those 7 inch netbooks that are running MS WinCe6? The Augen, iview, videolan etc. Are these any good? anyone have one to comment on?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Thanks for the info thus far. I'm looking for internet browsing and shopping, emails, music, mp4 videos, avi videos etc. maybe GPS.

What about those 7 inch netbooks that are running MS WinCe6? The Augen, iview, videolan etc. Are these any good? anyone have one to comment on?

This site (Except for the non-Android sub-section) will not make much comment about the MS CE6-6.5 flavors of tablets. You will find some tablets that come in both Android and CE flavors. The reality is the flavors of brands in the generics range from poor to fairly good. The newer versions on the horizon will be more expensive, but be feature rich and more capable. If I were to buy one right now I would I would not pay attention to CPU speed, Look at the Firmware version, the brand and whether the brand is already 2.1. The closer you are to the current Android version will mean the closer you will be to a feature rich firmware.

The biggest battery killer I have discovered is display, Keep the display at its dimmest amd the features like sound or wireless disabled except when needed.
Best of luck in your quest.

nosvet

Aug 15, 2010
Thanks,

So the Android Tablets really only do what?
Internet, can it be used to purchase on the net?
Emails
can i view videos? in avi or other formats
read ebooks?
anything else?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
yes you can do all of that depending on the tablet you get you can also create/edit word, excel documents play games some have webcams and the android market place is amazing