Newbie Tips for ZT280 C91?

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
Hi,first time poster so go easy on me!.
I have a zt280 c91 which I think might be in need of an update as its a little sluggish and slow.The label at the top says Model:ZT280H12Nc91M512FB . Its running Android 2.3.4 , kernel version 2.6.34 root@android #2722.
I was told to look in the /mnt/flash/version.txt file on ES File Explorer,which is ZT280_H1_2n_C91_Android2.3_1201_GO_V1.32

Basically I'm looking for hints/tips to maximise the performance of this.I can stream Netflix but its a little sluggish and I think thats because of the Wifi,even though the tablet is sitting right beside the router.Is there any simple way of increasing Wifi capabilities.I dont want to do the soldering thing cos I can't!!
Also is there any decent apk's or apps for streaming live sport especially English soccer.And for movies and shows.Thank you all so much

EDIT-Anybody willing to help a brother out???Am I using correct firmware?Is there anyway of improving this tablet??

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
Thanks for that.
I managed to update to Android 4.0.3 , kernel 2.6.34 and build number f04ref-eng 4.0.3 ICS. f04ref.20111230 but I have no option for Bluetooth .In Settings,under Wireless and Network, all it says is wi fi,data usage and more....no sign of Bluetooth.Why is that? I would like to use a wireless keyboard (if possible) and presume I need bluetooth.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks for that.
I managed to update to Android 4.0.3 , kernel 2.6.34 and build number f04ref-eng 4.0.3 ICS. f04ref.20111230 but I have no option for Bluetooth .In Settings,under Wireless and Network, all it says is wi fi,data usage and more....no sign of Bluetooth.Why is that? I would like to use a wireless keyboard (if possible) and presume I need bluetooth.
The last ICS ROM for the ZT-280 C91 was the (2012)0314 - http://www.zenithink.com/UploadFile/temp/ZT280_H1_2n_3n_3a_C91_Android4.0_0314.rar
The last Gingerbread ROM was the (2012)0217 - http://www.zenithink.com/UploadFile/temp/ZT280_H1_2n_C91_Android2.3_0217_GO_V1.35.rar

I'm using Gingerbread on my C91 H1_2n tablet....

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
OK,I'm new to all this so go easy!! Would the Gingerbread ROM be better than ICS?? I just figured that because it was more recent,it was better. Does Gingerbread have Bluetooth function?And finally,is it east to switch from GB to ICS?Thanks and sorry about all the questions!!

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
OK,I'm new to all this so go easy!! Would the Gingerbread ROM be better than ICS?? I just figured that because it was more recent,it was better. Does Gingerbread have Bluetooth function?And finally,is it east to switch from GB to ICS?Thanks and sorry about all the questions!!
I only tried ICS on my C91 when it was in Beta, and it was using up too much RAM for me and was really slow....

With the 512MB RAM, in my opinion, Gingerbread runs smoother... But I guess it all depends on what you are using your tablet for, and what works better for you...
shot_000038.png

I am also using my 900MHz kernel (stock is 800MHZ) with a mod for a 2GB data partition (for more space on the internal drive for apps).... My Files Some people can use 950MHz and a couple 1GHz, but if the tablet gets really hot, you should use a lower frequency kernel... The 900MHz one is the only one that boots up on my tablet, the others always freeze the tablet during boot, but each tablet is different, you need to see what works best for you...

Yes, GB has BT functionality (with a USB BT dongle plugged in).... I think ICS should also....
shot_000040.png

Flashing the tablet is the same, no matter which OS you are flashing.... Just a matter of downloading, unrar/unzipping and placing the zt-update folder on your sdcard, etc.... If you want to change to a 2GB data partition or an OCed kernel, you just need to download the one for your tablet and ROM and rename and replace it with the stock ones in the zt-update folder (ZT280.kernel & ZT280.recovery)...

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
I am also using my 900MHz kernel (stock is 800MHZ) with a mod for a 2GB data partition (for more space on the internal drive for apps).... My Files Some people can use 950MHz and a couple 1GHz, but if the tablet gets really hot, you should use a lower frequency kernel... The 900MHz one is the only one that boots up on my tablet, the others always freeze the tablet during boot, but each tablet is different, you need to see what works best for you...

Yes, GB has BT functionality (with a USB BT dongle plugged in).... I think ICS should also....

If you want to change to a 2GB data partition or an OCed kernel, you just need to download the one for your tablet and ROM and rename and replace it with the stock ones in the zt-update folder (ZT280.kernel & ZT280.recovery)...

I'm a newbie so all that stuff about kernels and data partition is double dutch to me!!!If you could explain it in real simple terms and maybe suggest some files i could download that would be great.

As for bluetooth,I dont even have the option to turn it on/off as shown in your screenshot,the option is not there even with USB BT dongle plugged in. I'm seriously considering deleting ICS from zt update folder and using the GB link you gave me above.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
I'm a newbie so all that stuff about kernels and data partition is double dutch to me!!!If you could explain it in real simple terms and maybe suggest some files i could download that would be great.

As for bluetooth,I dont even have the option to turn it on/off as shown in your screenshot,the option is not there even with USB BT dongle plugged in. I'm seriously considering deleting ICS from zt update folder and using the GB link you gave me above.
Give me some time, I haven't used my C91 in a while, I'll make a backup of my tablet's system partition then I'll upload a zt-update folder for you to flash... That is, if you want to go back to Gingerbread....

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
Brilliant,thanks a lot. I can give it a try and see. Is it possible then for me to switch between GB and ICS after I use both and prefer one to the other?

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
Brilliant,thanks a lot. I can give it a try and see. Is it possible then for me to switch between GB and ICS after I use both and prefer one to the other?
Yes, you can flash back and forth between the two... There is just a small issue if you are going back and forth from a 1GB data partition and the 2GB, you just have to make sure you wipe and format everything so the partitions will match....

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
OK,thats great. Whenever you get time,send me on that folder please.........and maybe simple instructions so I dont mess it up!!Thanks again,appreciate it.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
OK,thats great. Whenever you get time,send me on that folder please.........and maybe simple instructions so I dont mess it up!!Thanks again,appreciate it.
Instructions will be the same as flashing a stock ROM (zt-update folder on your sdcard, Camera+Power to enter flashing mode, rest should be automatic after you press the camera button to flash the SPL and then again for the BOOT)....

I should have something for you in like 30 minutes....