Newbie with 7015b Coby

ylomnstr

Feb 10, 2012
So I just ordered a Coby 7015b from geeks.com. I've been looking at a ton of threads and I just want to be sure I have the latest and greatest for rooting and clockwork, etc....
Which thread should I follow? My main goal here is to have the most stable version of the OS and google apps. According to geeks.com, the tablet comes with 2.3 already? I thought that model only came with 2.2. Anyway, which thread has the best, most up to date mod for the 7015b? Thanks!

Rob

AboveTheLogic

Feb 19, 2012
Did you get it through the groupon promotion? If so, I have the same one.

I've been trying all the instructions out there for rooting so I can get the android market app to work, to no avail.

I've tried the latest versions of gingerbreak and z4root, multiple times, following the instructions, no go.

I think that most of the instructions out there are for the older 7015, without the B at the end.

Does yours show build number MID7015 20111208? If so, its like mine, and has a recent build. I suspect this recent build has fixed the exploits that gingerbreak and z4root use. I'm still a n00b to androids, trying to figure it out...

ylomnstr

Feb 10, 2012
Did you get it through the groupon promotion? If so, I have the same one.

I've been trying all the instructions out there for rooting so I can get the android market app to work, to no avail.

I've tried the latest versions of gingerbreak and z4root, multiple times, following the instructions, no go.

I think that most of the instructions out there are for the older 7015, without the B at the end.

Does yours show build number MID7015 20111208? If so, its like mine, and has a recent build. I suspect this recent build has fixed the exploits that gingerbreak and z4root use. I'm still a n00b to androids, trying to figure it out...

Yeah that's the deal I got. Mine hasn't come yet. I expect it this week hopefully. Let me know if you get anywhere.

AboveTheLogic

Feb 19, 2012
I ordered mine on the 6th and got it on Friday, maybe yours will come tomorrow!

It is a pretty slow responding unit, I look forward to rooting it and cleaning out some of the bloat. It can be very frustrating to use.

AboveTheLogic

Feb 19, 2012
I'm still trying to root, and I'm following these directions:

Coby Kyros MID7015 Utimate Guide

Note that for step 7, it says to go to the usb_driver folder. In my case, that folder is here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver

Substitute steps 9 and 10 for the following:

9. Right underneath the section labeled [Google.NTx86] paste in the following:

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_DEED&REV_0226&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_DEED&MI_01
; Android Eclair
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C02&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FFF

10. Right underneath the section labeled [Google.NTamd64] paste in the following:

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_DEED&REV_0226&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_DEED&MI_01

I was able to load the driver using these strings, and adb now works, but i still can't "su"

BTW, to get the code for the .inf, you just have to look at the hardware ID in the properties of the device in device manager, thats how I figured out what to change.

Last edited:

awl10293

Feb 21, 2012
Glad both of you are posting about the 7015b...I just got mine today via the Groupon/Geeks offer. Looking forward to getting Google Android Market installed...AboveTheLogic, could you provide more detail on the trial and error you mentioned in post #4? If I can get this loaded it sounds like there is no need to root the tablet, right?

AboveTheLogic

Feb 19, 2012
Oh gosh, the trial and error was trying different versions of the market apk, from wherever

You might get it simply by following those instructions

I had the android market, amazon's app store, fdroid, and some others loaded before rooting.

I found that the es file explorer and task mgr are much more powerful after rooting. What i found most useful is the startup manager. This thing runs so slow that killing the bloat really helps.

I tried tackling clockworkmod tonight- no luck so far :rolleyes:

AboveTheLogic

Feb 19, 2012
BTW, even with google market installed, i dont have access to the same apps that my wife does with her galaxy. For example, facebook searches yield no results, but i did manage to find an old apk which worked. I'd like to get my hands on the latest apk.

Gemini727

Feb 21, 2012
i don't have a way to put my microsd card in my pc, is there another way? i also cant find the file manager by mmaapp. my kyros didnt come with appslib, it came with getjar. i downloaded appslib from getjar, but there still isnt that file manager.

AboveTheLogic

Feb 19, 2012
Mine came with ES File Manager, which is surprisingly awesome. It will connect to windows file shares and (S)FTP sites, really cool!

You can plug the USB cable into your PC, and the tablet should prompt you to turn on USB file sharing (whatever its called), from there you can transfer files to/from your PC.

Alternatively, get swiFTP installed. Turn on FTP, then load up a FTP client on your PC and transfer files that way.

outlaw1092

Feb 22, 2012
Hi All!
I just joined as I also got the 7015B through the Groupon deal.
Im trying to get up to speed on all this.
I was wondering the same thing....is rooting needed to get the Google Market? It looks like it isnt.
I understand that rooting will allow me greater control of the tablet, but Im worried about having problems with it, as noted in the first posts, since mine is also a 7015B.

Thanks for info.

awl10293

Feb 21, 2012
i don't have a way to put my microsd card in my pc, is there another way? i also cant find the file manager by mmaapp. my kyros didnt come with appslib, it came with getjar. i downloaded appslib from getjar, but there still isnt that file manager.

Gemini - you can download a file manager called AndExplorer at this link: Android free file manager, explorer - AndExplorer Scroll down past the screen shots and download the APK file for V2.2.