Newbie with 7015b Coby

outlaw1092

Feb 22, 2012
I am also having trouble getting clockwork to work. The MENU does not show the option for saving the Recovery image.
Also, I am not able to load Google Market. Im going to try the methods listed above, incl zergrush.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

AboveTheLogic

Feb 19, 2012
Last edited:

outlaw1092

Feb 22, 2012
Awesome! Thanks so much!

What about a recovery image? Do I need one if Im not going to ROOT?
I understand ROOTing will give me more control, but I mainly wanted access to the Google market so I can get ALL the apps that my phone gets.
Is there any other good reason(s) to root?

Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate it.

AboveTheLogic

Feb 19, 2012
Even with the android market, I couldn't get all the apps that my wife can get with her samsung galaxy

The support just isn't there, one of the reasons I'm selling it

I couldn't find a working recovery.img file for this thing, if that's what you're asking.

My 7015b is packed in a box, freshly reset and rooted, so I won't be trying anything new. Just trying to help out a little bit. I'll probably drop out of this thread after it sells.

outlaw1092

Feb 22, 2012
I was able to install Market with New Market.apk. It installed and Im able to log in, but once I open it , it Force Closes on me every time.
It says 'Market (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly.'
Ugh.
The other, Vending.apk didnt install.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

KaiyoDroid

Mar 2, 2012
I was able to install Market with New Market.apk. It installed and Im able to log in, but once I open it , it Force Closes on me every time.
It says 'Market (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly.'
Ugh.
The other, Vending.apk didnt install.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi! New member/poster here with the same device.

It looks like you got further than I did. I was able to install everything according to the instructions in that link, but whenever I would go to login, I would get a message that stated something along the lines of "unable to establish a reliable connection" or something like that. I'd also get an error stating that YouTube stopped working unexpectedly. I had to uninstall, then reinstall the YouTube .apk as it seemed to have been corrupted somehow. Other than that, I haven't been able to get the Market up and running on my device at all. I tried several times by making sure I did the steps correctly and using both the Vending.apk and New Market one on separate tries. No luck unfortunately (I haven't tried rooting, by the way. This is with the stock firmware)

On a separate note, has anyone else tried to play any games on this thing? I've tried a few (Angry Birds, Pocket Legends, Snesoid, nesoid) and it seems that as long as I don't touch the screen, the games run at full speed with excellent framerates. However, as soon as I touch the inputs on screen, the framerate drops drastically, making the games unplayable. It's like the device can't handle both the rendering on screen and user input at the same time. I know the tablet is resistive touch, but does anyone think that these results are a hardware issue or perhaps just a software related one? It doesn't matter what game I put on there (no matter how low or steep the system requirements are), the results are the same. Could this issue possibly be addressed and fixed in a modded rom (if someone developes one) or is it simply due to the nature of the hardware restrictions?

So far, I've managed to get the following apps to work without any problem:

Facebook, YouTube, FBReader, Hulu+, Adobe Reader, Dolphin Browser HD, TV.com, Pandora Internet Radio, ebay, and ACV (comic book reader/viewer app).

The one I really want to work is Netflix. I've tried several .apk versions, but anything and everything before the newest 1.7.0 requires you to update, then just hangs during the update process. If you choose not to update, you will get the "this title is not available for streaming" error (even if it is). The 1.7.0 version loads perfectly fine and will initiate the stream for titles you select, but the sound will come through perfectly, while the video/picture lags at an unwatchable framerate and plays choppy. My WiFi connection is sufficient enough to stream Netflix to all my other devices (laptop, desktop, and XBOX 360); and the tablet's connection bars are maxxed. Also, streaming with other apps that work appears to be perfectly fine. Guess I'm just going to wait until next official release to see if it fixes this problem.

I've also tried the Play-On app, but with my desktop running as the client, it tells me my Netflix credentials are not valid (even though I know I've entered them correctly); and any other service available through them that uses Flash automatically errors out, telling me I need to install Flash player (even though I have the latest one installed).

I really, really want Netflix, though. The possibility to play some games would be awesome, also; but if I could just watch Netflix, I'd sacrifice the gaming capabilities for that alone. :)

Last edited:

outlaw1092

Feb 22, 2012
Mine also gave me that error message, but I was using the wrong password. When I retried, it logge me in. I was able to see my gmail and Talk contacts.
The market never fully loads, just Force Closes Unexpectedly.
I was wondering if rooting would help.
I also wonder if rooting would help with the games. At the beginning of this thread, there's mention of programs running better after rooting.
I havent tried any yet. Ive been wanting to load Googel Market first before I try other apps.

Good luck

KaiyoDroid

Mar 2, 2012
Thanks for the quick feedback :)

I've been tempted to go the rooting route to see if it will yield better results with games and Netflix and such, but the thing that's been holding me back is that I don't have access to the stock image in the off-chance that something goes wrong during the rooting process. Aside from the info found on this particular thread relating to zergrush, every other source pertaining to rooting or flashing modded ROMS appear to apply only to the 7015 and 7015A models, which do not natively include Android 2.3.3, like the 7015B does.

Would anyone have a link to the stock ROM, by any chance? I've looked on the official Coby site and can't seem to find it provided anywhere for this particular model (or any others for that matter): Coby Kyros Support | COBY

Last edited:

outlaw1092

Feb 22, 2012
So far, I've managed to get the following apps to work without any problem:

Facebook, YouTube, FBReader, Hulu+, Adobe Reader, Dolphin Browser HD, TV.com, Pandora Internet Radio, ebay, and ACV (comic book reader/viewer app).

Just curious, where did you find/download the aps from?

I'm going to try the zergrush root again.
Im sure ill be back on here this weekend while Im trying it, so please bear with my questions.

Thanks.

KaiyoDroid

Mar 2, 2012
Just curious, where did you find/download the aps from?

Honestly, I've just been doing regular Google searches on my desktop, then transferring them over via my SD Card. I haven't bothered to use the GetJar app that comes on there. I tried the BlackMart Alpha app also, but due to the question of the legalities involved, I uninstalled it. Also, even the regularly free apps I was actually able to find on there were not the latest versions, so I just resorted to using the Google/SD card method.

outlaw1092

Feb 22, 2012
OK, Ive just about finished ROOTING with ZergRush as explained earlier in the thread. I followed the directions and Ive had success......except for the very last part: the BusyBox Installer. I cant get it installed and its driving me crazy.
It downloads as a zip file, with an apk filename, but is there an apk file?
I keep getting error messages in the Command Prompt that its not a file. Ive tried it as is, Ive extracted it, and I cant get Market to work yet, so Im stuck.
Ugh....Im so close!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

outlaw1092

Feb 22, 2012
Ive finally finished ROOTING it wit ZergRush. YEAH!
I just follwed the directions verbatim (watch those spaces in Command Prompt) and It worked.

I got Market to install also.
It looks like an old version, but Im not sure which versions are compatible with which Android versions.

For the 7015B, is 2.2.3 the latest and best?
I want to load Flash, but cant find a version that works on here.
Like mentioned before, Even though I have Market running, I cant get or see all the Apps I can see on my phone.
Very frustrating.
I bought this table for my daughter who is special needs and needs help in communicating.
I found some aps that are AAC (communication device) on my phone that work great, but it wont appear on Market and I cant get it to work when I transfer it to the SD card and install it that way.

Any ideas on the version/aps/ compatibility?
Any suggestions?
I sure would appreciate it

Thanks!

AboveTheLogic

Feb 19, 2012
i had the same results with netflix, which is one of the things that really turned me off with this device

i rooted and used the es task manager to stop bloat from loading, no change with netflix

KaiyoDroid

Mar 2, 2012
Congrats on the successful root Outlaw :)

I also managed to finally get around to rooting my 7015B; but I ended up going a slightly different route than what's been mentioned here. Turned out to be easy as pie, too.

First I tried the GingerBreak v1.2 .APK, but that didn't work. It loaded the app, I tapped the "Root" option; and it just remained stuck looping on the "exploit" screen.

Then, I used something called SuperOneClick v2.3.3; and that got the tablet rooted successfully with Super User installed on the very first try.

More info here: [APP]SuperOneClick v2.3.3 - Motorola Exploit Added! - xda-developers

I'm a complete newcomer to doing this type of stuff, so I'm not sure all these steps are necessary... but here's everything I did, nonetheless:

(Note: I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit)

1 - Installed the Android SDK
2 - Loaded the SDK Manager (included with the Android SDK; make sure you right-click the icon and select Properties to run the SDK Manager as Administrator under the Compatibility Tab). Then go down to the "Extras" on the file tree, select the Google USB Driver Package and install that.
3 - Once the Driver Package was finished installing, I closed out the SDK Manager/Android SDK completely. I then hooked the Coby Kyros 7015B up via the USB cable to my PC and let Windows install the drivers (Make sure USB Debugging is set to ON in your tablet's settings under Settings -> Applications ->Development -> USB Debugging).

NOTE: Before beginning Step 4, make sure you do not have an SD Card inserted or mounted in the Kyros' SD Card slot. (I simply removed mine altogether just to be sure)

4 - Load SuperOneClick v2.3.3, select "zergrush" from the drop down menu marked "Exploit" on the right, then click the "Root" option.
5 - SuperOneClick prompted me that a necessary Gingerbread driver was missing and asked if I wanted it to download/install it for me. I clicked "Yes".
6 - Nothing else needs to be done and the entire rooting process is completely automated. Let SuperOneClick run it's course until you get the confirmation message that the tablet was successfully rooted. (It isn't necessary to run the test it prompts about after installation if you don't want to)

... And that was it. ;)

The only thing that I had to deal with afterward, was the tablet went into a boot loop where it would just constantly loop the "android" logo start-up screen. Nothing I did would shut off the tablet and it wasn't responsive to any button presses at all. To be honest, I panicked a bit at first and thought I'd soft-bricked the tablet. Turns out, I was worried about nothing. The fix was to simply flip the tablet onto it's backside and use the tip of a ball point pen to push the small "Reset" button on the back of the device. Once that was done, it rebooted perfectly fine. As soon as the tablet was once again fully loaded up and running, I went in and checked, and sure enough Super User was installed and the tablet was successfully rooted. :)

On a side note, it was also a bit of a pain to find an actual download link for SuperOneClick v2.3.3. The name of the file is "SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip" and can be found hosted on 4shared.com via a regular Google search.

SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Haven't tried Clockwork Mod or getting the Android Market on there.... yet.

Now, I'm off to Kyros Tablet Zone to see if I can load any of the many custom Android 2.3.3 ROMS originally made for the Coby Kyros 7015/7015A models. Should work just fine now I imagine. I'll post back with my results! :)

Last edited: