Newbie with 7015b Coby

AlexTheGreat

Apr 16, 2012
Ok follow-on... I managed to get the CWM and then tried installing the google apps zip from CWM and it failed with an error failed to mount dev/block something. Now stuck @ Coby Screen though I can get to the CWM, Fastboot and FWDN menu's I think the basic OS is hosed in some way. Relatively new to this so could use some ideas. I'm thinking I need to basically re-install the base OS.

I also bought mine through groupon but how did you go about installing CWM? I heard that some versions of CWM will brick the 7015.

darkdrae

Apr 13, 2012
does anyone have the modified android_winusb file they can put up on mediashare to dl or somthing, without a screenshot of where to put the custom code i think im doing it wrong, when i go to load the drivers the android_winusb file dosnt show up at all

james_polk

Apr 18, 2012
Alright... after tinkering with it a bit, I finally managed to get ClockWorkMod on here. I had to modify the USB drivers as AboveTheLogic mentioned on page 1 of the thread (thanks AboveTheLogic, by the way ;)).

I downloaded the recovery.img for CWM v5.0.2.7 and placed it directly in the C:\ drive/directory on my PC (just copied and pasted the file in there, no folder).Then, I put the tablet in fastboot mode (by holding down the "Menu" button on the tablet while power it on).It should initialize fastboot mode, then say "Waiting......". Connect the tablet to your PC using the provided usb cable.Then open a command prompt and type the following:

... and hit enter. It should go through the steps to flash CWM and you will be prompted in the command prompt window when the operation is completed.Once it's done, hold down the "Back" button on your tablet, and while keeping the "Back" button depressed, reboot the tablet by using something like the tip of a ball point pen to press the small "Reset" button on the back of the tablet.You should boot into the ClockWork Recovery console.Hope this helps! ;)

I've tried this, but when I type the command into my command prompt I keep getting "fastboot is not recognized as internal or external command, operable command, or batch file".... any recommendations?

chiefcrewdog

Apr 14, 2012
Ok follow-on... I managed to get the CWM and then tried installing the google apps zip from CWM and it failed with an error failed to mount dev/block something. Now stuck @ Coby Screen though I can get to the CWM, Fastboot and FWDN menu's I think the basic OS is hosed in some way. Relatively new to this so could use some ideas. I'm thinking I need to basically re-install the base OS.

I used FWDN 7 and http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...upgrade-you-can-use-return-stock-2-3-3-a.html from Vampirefo to get back to a non rooted state. Thanks so much for posting that! Whats interesting is the google apps is on there now. Not sure it that was in the backup or somehow was remaining from when I tried to install it. I will be using super one click and CWM again when I have a bit more time to play around with this thing. I've learned quite a bit from what is posted here. Thanks!

Bluehaze

Apr 12, 2012
For those of you having issues with going into command prompt and getting the "fastboot is not recognized issue". You have get your command to actually go to the folder where fastboot.exe is located. Fastboot.exe is part of the Google phone editor thing. So you would go to C:program Files/Android/ etc etc.. i dont remember where exactly i twas located. The point being you are just in the wrong location. Once you are in the right location then type that command.

naruto7

Apr 29, 2012
when their is a fully working thing that will root the coby kyros 7015b and make it like an android like in this video youtube.com/watch?v=clGKXHjY548 and it has been tested by several people so i know that it works i will do it to mine and hopfully some one will make a video of how to do it and post it here with all the links to the files we need

kimAtFoowebs

Dec 22, 2013
Fantastic Tutorial Kaiyodroid - Fantastic - I was struggling with figuring out how to root the MID7015 with Android 2.3.3 and after trying the Ultimate Rooting Guide and z4Root over and over I finally found your steps and made it work. Thanks so much - I referenced you in my article about my journey with the Kyros MID7015 here - it also follows up with how to install Android Market - Do you have a package or tutorial for installing cyanogen? - I am afraid the tutorials I have found are for the earlier version

Congrats on the successful root Outlaw :)

I also managed to finally get around to rooting my 7015B; but I ended up going a slightly different route than what's been mentioned here. Turned out to be easy as pie, too.

First I tried the GingerBreak v1.2 .APK, but that didn't work. It loaded the app, I tapped the "Root" option; and it just remained stuck looping on the "exploit" screen.

Then, I used something called SuperOneClick v2.3.3; and that got the tablet rooted successfully with Super User installed on the very first try.

More info here: [APP]SuperOneClick v2.3.3 - Motorola Exploit Added! - xda-developers

I'm a complete newcomer to doing this type of stuff, so I'm not sure all these steps are necessary... but here's everything I did, nonetheless:

(Note: I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit)

1 - Installed the Android SDK
2 - Loaded the SDK Manager (included with the Android SDK; make sure you right-click the icon and select Properties to run the SDK Manager as Administrator under the Compatibility Tab). Then go down to the "Extras" on the file tree, select the Google USB Driver Package and install that.
3 - Once the Driver Package was finished installing, I closed out the SDK Manager/Android SDK completely. I then hooked the Coby Kyros 7015B up via the USB cable to my PC and let Windows install the drivers (Make sure USB Debugging is set to ON in your tablet's settings under Settings -> Applications ->Development -> USB Debugging).

NOTE: Before beginning Step 4, make sure you do not have an SD Card inserted or mounted in the Kyros' SD Card slot. (I simply removed mine altogether just to be sure)

4 - Load SuperOneClick v2.3.3, select "zergrush" from the drop down menu marked "Exploit" on the right, then click the "Root" option.
5 - SuperOneClick prompted me that a necessary Gingerbread driver was missing and asked if I wanted it to download/install it for me. I clicked "Yes".
6 - Nothing else needs to be done and the entire rooting process is completely automated. Let SuperOneClick run it's course until you get the confirmation message that the tablet was successfully rooted. (It isn't necessary to run the test it prompts about after installation if you don't want to)

... And that was it. ;)

The only thing that I had to deal with afterward, was the tablet went into a boot loop where it would just constantly loop the "android" logo start-up screen. Nothing I did would shut off the tablet and it wasn't responsive to any button presses at all. To be honest, I panicked a bit at first and thought I'd soft-bricked the tablet. Turns out, I was worried about nothing. The fix was to simply flip the tablet onto it's backside and use the tip of a ball point pen to push the small "Reset" button on the back of the device. Once that was done, it rebooted perfectly fine. As soon as the tablet was once again fully loaded up and running, I went in and checked, and sure enough Super User was installed and the tablet was successfully rooted. :)

On a side note, it was also a bit of a pain to find an actual download link for SuperOneClick v2.3.3. The name of the file is "SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip" and can be found hosted on 4shared.com via a regular Google search.

SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Haven't tried Clockwork Mod or getting the Android Market on there.... yet.

Now, I'm off to Kyros Tablet Zone to see if I can load any of the many custom Android 2.3.3 ROMS originally made for the Coby Kyros 7015/7015A models. Should work just fine now I imagine. I'll post back with my results! :)