newbie would like advice on external keypad

tintern

Apr 14, 2011
Hi folks i am completly new to the andriod world and i have a external kayboard and intergrated case but when i plug it into the usb it is not recognisd, do i need to install anything. your help would be highly appreciated. Ta :confused:

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
To use the keyboard your tablet must be in USB host mode. I am not sure for the stock ROM how to switch to USB host mode.

There are several kernels and ROMs, that enable the switch between USB slave and host mode. If you want to stick with the stock ROM then you can try:
corvusKernel
Buzz Vega kernel

If you want to try an alternative ROM (with market and Google apps and other improvements) you can try:

MoDaCo r8 (based on V1.08 of the stock ROM)
BeeGee mod of MoDaCo r8
CorvusVegaRom_0.5
Fuji-Vega Modded Rom (based on MoDaCo r8)

What is the difference between using a different kernel and a different ROM? The kernel changes only the low level part of a ROM. So you stay with the stock ROM and add just the USB host mode. With a different ROM you get a different Kernel and an updated version of Android with Google apps and market.

Check Vega Android Development on XDA developers and Advent Vega on MoDaCo for more ROMs.
Check Advent Vega - ROMs / Software Updates / Guides / How Tos, Links to ROMs, Flash Updates, Guides, Misc apk's for a lot of usefull information.

Have fun with your tablet.

But before changing ROM or kernel search on MoDaCo forum, there was a thread about keyboards and other stuff. If I remember correct, it was mentioned that the case with integrated keyboard do not work very well.

Hi folks i am completly new to the andriod world and i have a external kayboard and intergrated case but when i plug it into the usb it is not recognisd, do i need to install anything. your help would be highly appreciated. Ta :confused:

tintern

Apr 14, 2011
:D Wow thanks beegee_tokyo thats loads of info to try, I did read about changing the usb host but when tried the notebook wouldnt load so I became a bit nervous of doing it again but will look into it again. :D

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
:D Wow thanks beegee_tokyo thats loads of info to try, I did read about changing the usb host but when tried the notebook wouldnt load so I became a bit nervous of doing it again but will look into it again. :D

Don't worry, my experience is (and read as well in other forums) that the Vega is unbrickable. I got mine several time into noboot black screen situations and always got it out with the back-power-back button combination and flashing a stock ROM.

I tried the MoDaCo roms and switching to USB host worked fine. Never tried it on the CorvusKernel / BuzzVega kernel based ROMs. But others say it works fine.