4katzz

Jan 3, 2012
:rolleyes: I am a very new owner of the Acer Iconia A500 and am wondering exactly how to properly charge it. I did the 4 hr. charge when I got it but, when I have used it for awhile, I plug it in and the indicator is red. When it shows another color, does that mean it is charged? I have done this a couple times and, on a supposed full charge, I use it for 45 min. or so and the battery indicator shows 1/3 of the battery is gone. Is that normal? Doesn`t seem to be to me so if anyone has an answer for me, I would appreciate it.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
It shouldn't show 1/3 after 45 minutes.

Try adjusting screen brightness down a bit, or put it on auto-brightness.

Also run your tablet till it shuts off by itself, (or the battery shows 2%) then charge it over night. This process calibrates the battery charging chip and allows it to learn just how far your battery can go. Then it will give better readings.

I suspect the battery meter is lying to you because it has not had time to figure out the full capabilities of the battery yet.
After running it down to zero, (something you really only have to do once, or maybe once every 6 months) it will run longer. From then on, when it says you are down to 15% it will remind you to charge. There is no panic here, at 15% you still have more than an hour of web surfing left.

Leave it on the charger when not in use and it will always be ready for use. You can't over charge the battery. But don't be afraid of using the battery either.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I have noticed that on some Li Ion batteries that are brand new that they need a few charges to wake up all the way. Not quite the proper technical term nor is it proven, just an observation. Also, leave your tablet on the charger any time you are not using it. That way it is always at full charger when you grab it to go off somewhere. It will not overcharge. Mine did the same thing when I first opened it. Now it will go a couple of days on a charge. Same thing with my new phone too.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Congrats on your new tablet! Looks like your friends here are providing sage advice so I won't duplicate their answers other to say look at the settings and see if there tweaks you can use.

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

Cheers,
Peter

4katzz

Jan 3, 2012
Thanks everyone with the help. I thought last night of letting it discharge fully and then charge it. Good idea. I`ll get on that!:)