Newest Android OS Chart Shows ICS Over 10% & Gingerbread on Most Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
android-ics-adoption-chart-july-2012.png

Check this out! This is NOT patent wars related news! YAY!!! For those who are curious to see how far Ice Cream Sandwich has progressed in adoption rate on Android phones, (or for those who just love charts), you can see a full Android distribution breakdown in the chart above. Ice Cream Sandwich has grown to almost 11% since it was introduced last October, while Gingerbread hits about 64%. Interestingly, Google's newest OS, Android 4.1/Jelly Bean is absent from this list. It's not really surprising really as this chart was probably compiled just prior to the launch of the only device to sport Jelly Bean, the Nexus 7.

If you want to see more data, or really do just love charts, check out the source link below from the Android developers.

Source: Android Developers

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
What about 4.0.4 (Galaxy Nexus)?

;)

That is what the source link is for ;) They do some lumping for ICS.

4.0-4.0.2 = 0.2% and 4.0.3-4.0.4 = 10.7%

What is sort of surprising is the hold Froyo still has 17.3%

Natey2

May 25, 2012

"The (above) pie chart and table is based on the number of Android devices that have accessed Google Play within a 14-day period ending on the data collection date noted (on that page)."

By modifying the build.properties file on a device, can Google Play can be deceived into believing the device is running some other version of Android?

Is 14-days on Google Play a sufficient margin to conclude the breakdown of versions? Many new (Chinese) tablets running Android may not have access to Google Play.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I wouldn't be willing to bet my life on these numbers but they are probably close enough. I'm am sure that is a pretty large sample size but obviously doesn't take other factors into account.