Newish Iconia, jank charger

bananapeal

Jan 4, 2012
Good Morning folks,

I was pretty excited to receive an open-box (*after messing with tech support, found it's actually refurbished, not factory warrantied...) acer iconia a500 yesterday, but to my dismay, I cannot charge the tab. I got it to about 15% yesterday, but it drained quickly and it didn't charge overnight.

I noticed that the charger outputs 12v 2amps not 12v 1.5a like the bottom of the tab indicates.

Has anyone had experience with non-conforming chargers? Will it charge if I get a 12v 1.5amp charger from a random electronics store or do I have to find an acer branded one?

I've noticed from reading here that this behavior might happen (not charging) if the charger doesn't match correctly, but might it be damaged from being left to charge at 2a overnight?

Insights and words of comfort would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

update: I heard that oem chargers exist at walmart and will try and pick one up there

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Congrats on your new tablet, sorry you are already having issues! Bottom line is whereever possible it is best to go with the OEM or equivalent equipment, although this is not always possible. If you have a good quality charger that meets the OEM specs you should be fine.

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

Cheers,
Peter

bananapeal

Jan 4, 2012
hello peter thanks for the reply. turns out it was tthe charger not matching the tab. fixed by purchasing acer brnded travel charger at walmart.

what i've learned:
1. on android 3.1 normal charge indicator is glowing amber pw button. flashijg white may mean danger
2. if your digital device asks for 12v 1.5amps on its label, it's best that you provide it with exactly that
3. iconia will not charge if it isnt provided that' so if yours turns off suddenly or you see it discharge while plugged in, check charger

hope this helps someone somewhere!

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
hello peter thanks for the reply. turns out it was tthe charger not matching the tab. fixed by purchasing acer brnded travel charger at walmart.

what i've learned:
1. on android 3.1 normal charge indicator is glowing amber pw button. flashijg white may mean danger
2. if your digital device asks for 12v 1.5amps on its label, it's best that you provide it with exactly that
3. iconia will not charge if it isnt provided that' so if yours turns off suddenly or you see it discharge while plugged in, check charger

hope this helps someone somewhere!

Yeah this came up in another thread where we were discussing how the charger works. Most of us were complaining about the shortness of the charger cord and how we could lengthen the cable. Some suggested buying just a chargerr at th e electronic store but I had argued that the charger was matched to the charging control cct in the A500. If the charger didn't match then it would damage the control cct. The charger would have to have some sensing control while the cct in the A500 actually did the work of checking the state of the battery.

Thanks for clarifying.