Newly acquired Note 8.0 and need some help to set up ...

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
Hi folks!

I am not new on this forum but very new for the Galaxy Note 8.0 which I just received this week.
Great little tablet which my wife is also using to write her books! She uses the Handwriting to Test feature and it is fantastic! :)

Now for me ... I need some help and hope to find some answers here or maybe someone will redirect me to the proper authorities!

The Note 8.0 has a feature that allows you to use the tablet a "remote" for your "Smart TV" . I think this is great ... however my HDTV is not a "smart" TV, i.e.: does not have a built-in WiFi connection.
It does have HDMI and USB options though.

My question:

How can I "make" my TV behave as a WiFi enabled TV and be recognized by the Note 8.0 "remote" option?

There are tons of gadgets (dongles, etc ...) out there and this is what really confuses me.
BTW, the TV itself is also a Samsung ... not "smart" unfortunately.

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
Sorry about the previous post ... spelling error "She uses the Handwriting to Test" should read "Text".

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I don't think you will be able to do exactly what you asked because it isn't a smart TV however you could look at getting a Google Chromecast dongle and you could communiate over WiFi with the TV using the dongle.

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
I don't think you will be able to do exactly what you asked because it isn't a smart TV however you could look at getting a Google Chromecast dongle and you could communiate over WiFi with the TV using the dongle.
Thanks for the reply !
Well, as long as the Note 8.0 can use the "remote" option and control the TV, I would be fine with that.
I thought there existed some type of gadget out there just to get the WiFi to the TV via USB or HDMI ... !

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
This is what I found regarding the Chrome Chromecast dongle:

"Chromecast is an inexpensive media streaming adapter that turns any HDMI-equipped television into an app-driven smart TV when paired with a phone, tablet or computer."
" ... that plugs directly into your TV, and connects to your Wi-Fi network
."

So, when this is plugged in I should be able to use the Note 8.0 remote option (an app in Note 8.0) and use it to "control" the TV ... ?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There are some remote control apps that would allow you to use the tablet to change channels and volume, still not a guarantee they will work but the ones I've used are free.

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
There are some remote control apps that would allow you to use the tablet to change channels and volume, still not a guarantee they will work but the ones I've used are free.
Thanks again.
Not really what I want to do because the Note 8.0 already has the option to wirelessly connect to the TV but the later has to have WiFi connection.
So I am trying to find a way to "make" that TV wireless without having to buy a wireless-ready TV.